alfanewfie

fuel tank

Hi all : i have a 2007 damon astoria pacific 3679 that has a rusty fuel tank. wondering if anyone knows where to purchase a new tank. i am located in alberta canada. Thank you for any information.

I have heard of it being done but have not seen it done. 

You remove the empty tank. Then put a short piece of chain in the tank. Shake to tank. Put in some water shake the tank again. Drain the tank and repeat until the water is clear.

Herman 

If the tank is structurally sound and only has some surface rust on the inside, it is also possible to have the tank coated which might get you a few more years.

1 hour ago, alfanewfie said:

Hi all : i have a 2007 damon astoria pacific 3679 that has a rusty fuel tank. wondering if anyone knows where to purchase a new tank. i am located in alberta canada. Thank you for any information.

Welcome to the forum. Is it rusted on the inside or the outside? Do you have a leak?

Bill

its the freightliner xc chassis. spoke with F L dealers up here and they are telling me that it is not a F L made tank.  don,t know who made it for damon.  i have to drive 5 hours to get a shop that can hoist the unit and i want to have as much info as possible before making a decision. thank you all for any info.

the tank is rusted inside and the rust is plugging up the inline fuel strainer located in the frame rail above the right rear wheels, which i plan to relocate near engine for easier access. the rust took out my lift pump and i do not need that any more.

I would be very surprised if Damon removed the Freightliner tank and replaced it with a different one.

I would sure contact Damon with your VIN to confirm.

Lets talk about rust prevention since you are going to replace or coat the interior of the tank. The easiest and  most effective way is to always refuel at high-volume filling stations, to reduce the risks of buying water-contaminated fuel.

Always store the MH with a full fuel tank to lessen the normal condensation process where the empty portion of the tank contains moisture-laden air, then normal daytime heating and nighttime cooling collects water in your tank, like mother nature collects dew on the ground every morning.

Hope I haven't offended you with this, but I prefer preventative maintenance over making expensive repairs.

I think I would install a much larger filter and run it, changing or cleaning it as required.  At some point all the loose rust will come out and if you figure out where the rust came from and correct that it shouldn't be a problem in the future.  Your going to have to figure that out even if you install a new tank.