craigc51

Black holding tank leaks

I have a 2004 Damon 3465 model when I’m cleaning my black water tank I fill it to where it’s full and then it starts to leak is there a breather on top of the tank . I’ve checked the top of the tank and there is no sewer vent that goes to the top of the roof only on the gray water it has a vent . Since I’ve owned it I’ve always smell sewer gas in the lower compartments . I filled the black tank with a hose in to the toilet and the water does not come up in the toilet when it’s completely full that’s when it starts leaking out from the black tank but I can’t see where it’s leaking at .

Craig,

Does it leak only when you fill it to its capacity? If so then it may be the connection where the toilet connects to the tank. I myself would not worry about it because you never are that full of sewerage before you dump. 

Herman

If you've got water coming out when you fill to capacity with water, no doubt you've got sewer gas coming out the same place when it's not filled so much. Can you see the top of the tank from both sides so that you can see all the way around where the toilet enters?

Perhaps it's time to add something like this to your tool box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It will allow you to see in places you can't otherwise, like behind the tank connections.

Craig, it sounds like your back and gray tanks share a vent pipe. Our last Motorhome was set up this way and I had the same issue as you. 

I opened an access panel to fix a leak and noticed that the factory never glued my vent, they were just press fitted and one had vibrated loose. 

Richard posted a link above for a tool that would probably help you locate where the are connections in the wall and it sounds like you will need to do some investigating.

After taking off the top lid to all my tanks and lifting the board up .filled it full water and found the water leak coming out from the sewer vent pipe fitting  where it enters the top of the tank .  It’s a spin in fitting luckily it’s not polyethylene  so I use epoxy on it. While I had everything apart I check all the other fittings to make sure they are all good. After plastic welding the freshwater tank and now repairing the black water tank I hope I don’t have any more holding tank problems