jleamont

Keep your valves closed

Keep your valves closed until you need to dump, Why? The campground sewer backed up, our valves were closed and it came up our hose and stopped!
luckily I have heard of this happening before and saw a mess a few years ago when sewage filled the gray tank on a camper and went into their tub. And another situation when a snake went up someone’s hose and into their gray tank.
Needless to say I only open our valves when the tanks are close to full and that practice saved me one heck of a mess!
The campground unhooked my hose and put this cap on.

The last photo is what came out down stream.

986FA948-2383-4720-A54F-F9CDBD9587EF.jpeg

64B77DA9-14C4-45C5-965B-9648DA819977.jpeg

8CB5A0BA-85D4-4C5B-8075-8101576C3008.jpeg

Joe, are you trying to lead a crappy life?

I leave the grey open so DW can wash clothes (frequently) and the dishwasher. Sure hope that never happens to me.

42 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Joe, are you trying to lead a crappy life?

No but it sure put a damper on my AM coffee under the awning :wacko:. I could identify the pungent odor, couldn’t, didn’t care to get up from my chair until I saw the stream running down the road behind the coach. 

1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

My manual states to never leave any of the valves open.  

I never read that but was told by the selling dealer on both coaches NEVER leave them open. The only time I ever did it was when washing clothes back when we had a washer/dryer. 

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Looks like you pulled in just after Carl pulled out.😅

Herman 

:lol:

The maintenance men here were telling me all of the horror stories of what they have pulled out of the sewers here over the years. Rolled up diapers, dog waste bags, baby wipes, my favorite was a guy without a 90 degree end on his hose, he had 12’ in the ground that blocked everyone up stream.

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

The maintenance men here were telling me all of the horror stories of what they have pulled out of the sewers here over the years. Rolled up diapers, dog waste bags, baby wipes, my favorite was a guy without a 90 degree end on his hose, he had 12’ in the ground that blocked everyone up stream.

🤯

I leave my valves closed even when doing laundry. I can do 3 loads with and extra rinse and fill the tank half full. 

I've had one experience with sewer flies and I prefer to not do that again.

I always keep mine closed...53 years & 17 Class A's!  I have seen stuff, I would rather not remember!

Wonder what the folks on irv2.com who say they leave BOTH valves open and never had a problem would think about this??

Frankly my dear, I don't give a ****. I'll do what I do and others can do what they want to do. I love living in America where we still have limited freedom of choice.

1 hour ago, RayIN said:

Wonder what the folks on irv2.com who say they leave BOTH valves open and never had a problem would think about this??

17 hours ago, RayIN said:

If you leave the black tank open the solids will build a mountain.  Depending how deep the tank is it can pile up and close off the outlet of the toilet.

When traveling we generally stop at an RV park every other day. I will dump on the morning we leave. When we are parked for more then 2 days I will leave my gray water valve open. On the day before we are to leave I will close the gray to build up water to help flush out the hose after draining my waste tank.

This may not work for others but it does for us.

Herman 

5 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

If you leave the black tank open the solids will build a mountain.  Depending how deep the tank is it can pile up and close off the outlet of the toilet.

Yea, I know. That crowd that says that left off one word_ YET.

Herman, that's my method also. It may fail me at some point, but it's worked great since 1974.

You can always tell when you need to dump. When thee shower pan fills up and it gurgles and burps when you flush. That's what I heard on the internet so I know it is good info.

Bill

If your sewer elbow was not screwed securely into the campgrounds sewer inlet, wouldn't the backflow just push your fitting out of the inlet instead of forcing it all the way up your stinky-slinky and into your gray tank?  I generally only close my gray a day or so before I know I will be dumping the black.

2 hours ago, ISPJS said:

If your sewer elbow was not screwed securely into the campgrounds sewer inlet, wouldn't the backflow just push your fitting out of the inlet instead of forcing it all the way up your stinky-slinky and into your gray tank?  I generally only close my gray a day or so before I know I will be dumping the black.

Probably.

Most require donuts or screw in type hoses. I've only ever had the screw in type and I don't believe I have run across a CG that wasn't threaded. I also carry "Sewer Weights" that hang over the elbow to hold it down should it not be threaded. 

4 hours ago, ISPJS said:

If your sewer elbow was not screwed securely into the campgrounds sewer inlet, wouldn't the backflow just push your fitting out of the inlet instead of forcing it all the way up your stinky-slinky and into your gray tank? 

Yes, and then you have a real mess since most everyone dump the Waste before the Gray.

Joe mention that he has Sewer Weights for his hose. That is a good idea. I don't have a them  but probably should get a set.

Herman