Traveling with cruise control on and ABS alert light appeared momentarily followed by a puff of burnt smoke from dash vent.

Turned cruise control off, checked brakes which were operational.

Drove to RV park and discovered the engine would not turn off even with the key removed. Engine stopped by removing Battery cables.

Freightliner custom chassis, ISB 5.9 300 hp /  2001 Allegro Bay Pusher Tiffin. 

Any thoughts?

With a diesel engine, the key switch activates a solenoid which opens the fuel valve, this is what allows the fuel to flow and in turn keeps the engine running. You stated that you were able to kill the engine by disconnecting the battery which leads me to believe that the solenoid is ok, leaving only the wiring or the keyswitch to be likely suspects. The puff of smoke leads me to believe that a wire has shorted possibly with another wire and has allowed the engine to continue to run. Did the engine re crank after turning it  off? If not then I would suspect the ignition switch itself.

Gordon here in the Columbia, MO. Freightliner shop: the aforementioned problem turned out to be the chassis fuse box in the dash area. The exterior of the box melted along with adjacent wiring. The solution is uncertain.

I been told that Freightliner no longer has replacement parts. I am now looking at RV Salvage shops with little success. Any suggestions would be appreciated/

Only a few wires are damaged. A work around from the damaged wires to built a new fuse block is possible. I am trying to find a salvage yard replacement. 

9 hours ago, Golohre said:

Only a few wires are damaged

Ok for a work around, splice new wire where the original is damaged with a in line fuse holder. (for each damaged circuit) Not an elegant solution but it will work till you find a replacement fuse block. 

Bill

Generic fuse blocks are available. One company that makes them is Dorman. Do a search on Amazon for "Dorman fuse block" and you'll see many options, including some with room for relays. Pick one with enough slots that will fit in or near the original mounting space. Pick two if they don't have one with enough slots. Blue Sea is another quality company. Try and stay away from the unbranded and no-name products though, as I've found the quality to be really low.

(You might need a new crimping tool to install these - some use the GM/Delphi/Packard style terminals. Amazon sells these. This is the style of terminal which has two tabs sticking up that wrap around the wire and another two that wrap around the insulation.)

The hardest part in the repair will be identifying all the wires, especially if they are badly damage and melted together. Hopefully things shut down fast enough to prevent this.

My biggest concern wouldn't be replacing/repairing the damage in the immediate area, it would be finding other collateral damage which was done at the same time but which is hidden from view right now. You'll have to run as much of a systems test as you can once you get things put together to try and identify anything else which may be damaged.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, Golohre said:

Traveling with cruise control on and ABS alert light appeared momentarily followed by a puff of burnt smoke from dash vent.

Turned cruise control off, checked brakes which were operational.

Drove to RV park and discovered the engine would not turn off even with the key removed. Engine stopped by removing Battery cables.

Freightliner custom chassis, ISB 5.9 300 hp /  2001 Allegro Bay Pusher Tiffin. 

Any thoughts?

This might help find a suitable replacement. The power distribution systems have changed considerably over the last 10 years or so. 

You can give them a call for more detailed information. They are in the Central Time Zone. The link will offer info related to power distribution, but they are a full line company.

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1369/Power-Distribution-Modules/

Rich.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, Golohre said:

Only a few wires are damaged. A work around from the damaged wires to built a new fuse block is possible. I am trying to find a salvage yard replacement. 

anyone has an electrical problem in the Columbia, MO. area, the go to place is PCS Electronics. I was towed into Pcs Electronics by I-70 Towing and Recovery from the local Freightliner shop which seemed to have no answer on a fix. The fuse block was obsolete  and no part could be found. I had to do the search. The repair took two days.