ainaire

Unusual amperage draw on Leg 1

2001 Foretravel with 50 amp service. Plugged into 50 amp service with a progressive surge protector that has a readout of each leg, votes, amps, hz and device status with error codes.

Just recently the 50 amp breaker servicing the surge protector popped. Turned the breaker back on. Noticed the amps on L-1 was at 21, L-2 was zero amps. The RV is simply ting on our property and not being utilized. Only appliance plugged in was the residential refrigerator.

Flipped the main 50 amp breaker inside cutting all power feeding the RV. Expected to check the surge protector reading and see zero amps on L-1, instead it was displaying 20 amps. Turned of the shore power with the breaker. Waited and upon reset still showed 20 amps on L-1. All other readings were normal with no error codes displayed.

I am not electrically inclined and realize tracing an electrical issue on a 40 ft RV can be daunting even for professional mechanics. Where is this draw coming from and where do I even begin?

As stated, the main 50 amp service breaker inside has been turned off. Also when I had the inverter replaced(3 years), the mechanic replaced it with a converter citing expense and necessity, just a heads up for anyone helping with my troubleshooting.

ainaire,
Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

With the main coach breaker OFF, either you have a massive problem with shore power cord,  surge protector, ATS or wiring to the main breaker box OR the surge protector is giving a false reading.  I say massive problem as 20 amps @ 120 VAC turned into heat would be truly significant (you would see/smell it).

I would start by checking connections at each of those locations:  Both ends of shore power cord, wiring to surge protector, connections at ATS and connections into main breaker box. Look for signs of overheating, discoloration etc.

34 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

ainaire,
Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

With the main coach breaker OFF, either you have a massive problem with shore power cord,  surge protector, ATS or wiring to the main breaker box OR the surge protector is giving a false reading.  I say massive problem as 20 amps @ 120 VAC turned into heat would be truly significant (you would see/smell it).

I would start by checking connections at each of those locations:  Both ends of shore power cord, wiring to surge protector, connections at ATS and connections into main breaker box. Look for signs of overheating, discoloration etc.

Does the Energy Management system monitor the current draw after the main breaker?? Seems possibly like the circuit that monitors the current draw possibly went kaput. Do you have a clamp on amp meter you can put on the 2 legs and see if there is a draw there. Are batteries bad and maybe converter draw. Try unplugging it.

But, as OP said, main breaker (the two 50 amp breakers pinned together) is OFF.  So, no draw by converter or anything else can occur unless someone did some REALLY odd (and dangerous) wiring (since there would be something not wired through/protected by a breaker.

Leave your main breaker on and disconnect from the power source and see if the 20amp reading remains. If so and with no inverter you are getting a false reading.

ainaire,

jbell mentioned the current draw of the charger and on bulk mode they can easily exceed 20 amps . 

The charger / inverter systems common shore power source is L-1

Not knowing the main power breaker setup for your coach, there is a possibility of a bad breaker, coach system in bulk charge and or bad house battery(s). Depending on the wiring there could be a bad chassis battery because it sounds like the coach is now just setting on a privet sight at the time.

Rich.