Sign in to follow this  
craigc51

Bad turbo

What would cause a turbo to go bad with about 46,000 miles on the engine ?

I recently took my 2004 Damon with a 5.9 Cummins engine for service and for a check engine light . It came on after starting the engine and  and stayed on for about a minute and then we’ll go off .  They told me that the turbo was only opening to 25% .

Diesel engines  aren’t  my specialty So I was wondering if there something I did ,lack of maintenance  or just driving it wrong . I am the third owner and I’ve had it now for a year and a half and done all the maintenance  since I’ve owned it . Didn’t notice anything in performance going down the freeway was fine on flats going up a hill was slow but other than that the mileage seem to be OK just want any insight of what might happen thanks 

23 minutes ago, craigc51 said:

What would cause a turbo to go bad with about 46,000 miles on the engine . I recently took my 2004 Damon with a 5.9 Cummins engine for service and for a check engine light . It came on after starting the engine and  and stayed on for about a minute and then we’ll go off .  They told me that the turbo was only opening to 25% . Diesel engines  aren’t  my specialty So I was wondering if there something I did ,lack of maintenance  or just driving it wrong . I am the third owner and I’ve had it now for a year and a half and done all the maintenance  since I’ve owned it . Didn’t notice anything in performance going down the freeway was fine on flats going up a hill was slow but other than that the mileage seem to be OK just want any insight of what might happen thanks 

The 5.9 engine turbo is a totally mechanical setup.  The main issues with them is the boost gate rusting and not moving properly. Because of there location under the exhaust manifold the linkage and the gate pivot do not get lubricated on a regular basis.

The exhaust manifold gaskets fail causing low turbo pressure, using s light one can see the carbon buildup around the area of the 6 exhaust seals. The turbo activators do rust from setting and hole(s) will develop. 

going up a hill was slow but other than that the mileage seem to be OK just want any insight of what might happen thanks . This can be an indication of low turbo pressure !

Rich.

Boost level max is around 25 psi. when they are working properly.

What kind of maintenance needs to be done on the turbo   And where do you lubricate  and how often 

Freightliner and Cummings sell small  bottles of turbo lubricant  used to keep them free moving.

You need to look up from under the coach, (One needs to use jack stands when under the coaches)

Look  at the turbo assembly and you will see the linkage and the 2 main pivot points, there in a tight location to get to and you want the engine to have cooled off over night. I have used my hand to get the high temp oil applied to the linkage. 

The product is made by Super Lub and is a high temperature synthetic.

Good to oil them once a year and twice a year if it is not driven very often.

Rich.

The only item that will damage the turbos is heat in most cases because the engines where shutdown before cooling off after running under heavy load conditions, like climbing a long or steep grade. 

Thanks Rich much appreciated will be picking up my coach this coming Friday after a new turbos installed and will be doing that maintenance now  I would assume that they would lube it when they install the new turbo 

9 hours ago, craigc51 said:

Thanks Rich much appreciated will be picking up my coach this coming Friday after a new turbos installed and will be doing that maintenance now  I would assume that they would lube it when they install the new turbo 

Ask the service center that is replacing the turbo to show you the old one and what failed an why. Bearings, damaged spool, failed waste gate and or linkage system.

Pictures of the failed item is good to have on file. Use them for reference. The hardest part for me is remembering what folder I put them in. The organic file system is not as reliable now days.

Rich.