huffypuff

Inverter Charger Now Working!

Seems like the charger on the inverter took a crap.  I went into the coach on Sunday and saw a red light on the remote panel and a fault readout of DC overload.  I also seen the voltage of the batteries of only 2 volts.  I slowly charge the batteries with a portable charger over a days and didn't do much so I brought the 80 amp shop charger put on overnight.  I charge them at 40 amps and overnight a 10 amps but still less than 90% charged.   I tried the inverter charger and as soons as the charger kicks on I get the DC overload fault.  I check the electrolytes in each cell of the batteries is only 1.1.  Since I only brought the batteries last December I took them back to Batteries + Bulbs for them to evaluate.   The check in voltage was 6.25 each.  They going to run them through a series of test after charging overnight and call me tomorrow.  Otherwise looks like I will be looking for a new inverter charger as the DC overload fault appears to be a fatal FET board.  

Huff.

Magnum has facility at Paine Field in Everett WA.  Not sure what their capability is.

When I added the battery Load option to my inverter/charger they uploaded an newer software version to my remote. At that time they were moving some of their work to another of their facilities, that's been a couple of years ago, know there is an authorized repair dealer in Portland.

Jim

Ray,

Be aware that most smart chargers (those built into most inverter/chargers) will not try to charge a deeply discharged battery.  This is a safety precaution, as pumping excessive amps into a battery with a dead cell can cause excessive gassing and even an explosion.

So, as you are doing, make sure the batteries are good and at least to 12.0 VDC before trying to evaluate the charger section.

9 hours ago, F433921 said:

Huff.

Magnum has facility at Paine Field in Everett WA.  Not sure what their capability is.

When I added the battery Load option to my inverter/charger they uploaded an newer software version to my remote. At that time they were moving some of their work to another of their facilities, that's been a couple of years ago, know there is an authorized repair dealer in Portland.

Jim

With the problem I'm having looks like the control board or the fet or both is bad.  I can get a new one shipped to me for less than what it would cost to replace those parts.  Don't make sense on 13 years old unit.  

2 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Ray, who's system is installed in your coach?

Rich.

Magnum Energy ME2012 

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Ray,

Be aware that most smart chargers (those built into most inverter/chargers) will not try to charge a deeply discharged battery.  This is a safety precaution, as pumping excessive amps into a battery with a dead cell can cause excessive gassing and even an explosion.

So, as you are doing, make sure the batteries are good and at least to 12.0 VDC before trying to evaluate the charger section.

I charged the batteries for 2 days slowly and had 12.5 volts before plugging shore power back in and resetting the unit.  Still got DC overload right away so I remove the batteries and took them back to Batteries + Bulbs as the electrolytes tested only 1.1.  They are required to fully charge and test the batteries before replacing or returning them too me.  The coach sits in my driveway on a rv pad and is plugged in to shore power and I haven't stepped inside for a month.  My DW was inside three week ago and saw the red light on the panel but forgot to tell me.  Since then the batteries was run down completely because the charger failed.  I know the charger is sensitive as I had to replace the temperature probe after I returned this winter.   That issue was solved.  

UPDATE:  Got a call from Batteries + Bulbs and they started the charging process this morning and expect to call me later today with the result.   He also told me that the batteries were pretty much bulletproof and never had a bad one go out or come in.  

Charging all day at the store and still not charged, 1.2 reading now.   I think theses batteries are ruin from going dead thanks to the failed charger.  

Ray.  Could be the charger, but I don't buy into a bullet proof battery!  IMHO, you have one or more dead cells.

I just got a call this morning and they claim that all batteries came up to full charge.  I will pick them up later today and hook them up and see if the results are the same.  

I would request visual confirmation before leaving the store with your batteries,  allow them to rest for 4 hrs before re-checking cell status.

10 hours ago, RayIN said:

I would request visual confirmation before leaving the store with your batteries,  allow them to rest for 4 hrs before re-checking cell status.

I did and all cells came up and reinstalled them and had 13.2 volts all together at 98 percent.  Plugged back into shore power and as soon as the charger kicks on, DC overload.  The FET has got to be bad and just that cost more the haft the cost of the unit.  No sense putting that much funds into a 13 year old unit only to have something else go wrong.   I order a replacement unit from iMarine USA.  Hopefully it won't take too long to get it.  

I got the replacement inverter charger yesterday and install it last night.  It went to bulk charging and was like that when I went to bed.  This morning it was on float charging and tonight batteries are fully charged and charger is on standby.  I have a couple of fans running all the time for the hot weather. 

These are the 120 volt in and out connection.  No big deal to pull these out and install in the new one.  

1631730951_Iinverter4.thumb.jpg.e49c5a8294bbfb6045462c4a5fdd8666.jpg

This is the old inverter, soon I will remove the cover a see where it let the smoke out.  

1678356922_Iinverter3.thumb.jpg.2bfb110f4f49a0516b2ca9fa587f3c43.jpg

This is the new inverter installed.  Still need a couple of minor touches and surrounding area cleanup.  

1514113659_Iinverter2.thumb.jpg.32460e700751914f9bf55b9e8002054b.jpg

This is the reading from the remote tonight stating fully charged battery and charger is resting, charge light is blinking as if on standby.  

11276957_Iinverter1.thumb.jpg.658d3e66ca24d4f4a83497e87fdbb359.jpg

Ray, mentioned I have a couple of fans running all the time for the hot weather. 

That is a good plan, the inverter / chargers do run warm and there is limited space in the bays and heat is the enemy for them.

I did replace our unit after it failed with a bigger true sine wave unit and upgraded the air flow system in the bay it is mounted in.

Rich.

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Ray, mentioned I have a couple of fans running all the time for the hot weather. 

That is a good plan, the inverter / chargers do run warm and there is limited space in the bays and heat is the enemy for them.

I did replace our unit after it failed with a bigger true sine wave unit and upgraded the air flow system in the bay it is mounted in.

Rich.

I do have a couple of fans running that is in the bathroom is automatic and in the galley on low.  I also have a couple of windows cracked open to let the air flow in.  Otherwise in warm sunny weather it will get to be over a 100 F inside. 

The inverter charge has a couple of built in fans in it.  The coach was built with a vent on the front wall of the compartment and a automatic fan on the back wall.  The inverter charger monitors two internal and batteries temperature in a separate compartment.  

I didn't upgrade to a true sine wave unit because very rarely I use the inverter and only did so once or twice when the generator wasn't working.  The microwave worked fine on the inverter then so not worried.  I otherwise start the generator when using the microwave.  

Holy dirt batman.  Looks like the coach builders shouldn't of put the inverter charger in a compartment behind the rear wheels.  I couldn't see what burnt up or smell anything but I think this dirt helped push it over the edge.  The charger quick working but the inverter still work.  Must be the fet board.  Pictures below.  Notice where I rub my finger across the circuit board.  

inverter1.thumb.jpg.af685f145bffb5a3539fa76b9bad6edd.jpg

inverter2.thumb.jpg.07457e6286f08480ec8d1b2731f01b67.jpg

inverter3.thumb.jpg.34d9be4d0abbf59d76a4f4e540539015.jpg

inverter4.thumb.jpg.17ffd269d5002f9ec54be95ff22c07aa.jpg

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Puff, is that compartment vented?

It has to be vented as the inverter charger has two fans in it.  There is a vent on the front wall that I put an A/C filter on it and a rear exhaust fan on back wall in case the compartment gets too hot.   I wonder if I can throw a towel over it while traveling?  I'm going to call Magnum support and ask.  

On Linda's Phaeton it blows cool air into battery & Inverter bay when AC is on & heat into water & dump bay, when heater is on!  We think the original owner did it.

Is the inlet vent pulling air directly from the wheel well? If so, perhaps you can mount a shield a couple of inches in front of it to prevent spray from the tires hitting your inlet directly. I'm picturing a sheet of 1/8" plastic mounted about 1.5" from the wall, sealed top and sides so that it pulls in air from the bottom.

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Is the inlet vent pulling air directly from the wheel well? If so, perhaps you can mount a shield a couple of inches in front of it to prevent spray from the tires hitting your inlet directly. I'm picturing a sheet of 1/8" plastic mounted about 1.5" from the wall, sealed top and sides so that it pulls in air from the bottom.

The front  inlet vent is mounted between compartment walls and not directed behind the rear wheels.  The setup is like this, rear wheels, battery compartment that has opening inboard bottom to let air in then the compartment with the charger inverter.  The dirt inside the inverter looks like what you get if you are forced to drive through chip and seal road projects.  .   

I talked to Magnum Energy tech support today and they said no way covering the unit even if it's off.  They said it would cost $850 to rebuild the old unit and I paid $830 from iMarine for a new one.  They said the different between the the  ME 2012 and the ME 2012-20b is that the circuits coming out of the unit don't need a subpanel as long 20 amps is not exceeded the two built in breakers.  The remote I have is the RC 50 with old software and they recommend an updated remote .  They recommended at least the updated RC 50 or the updated ARC 50 if I want auto generator start in the future.  I know the coach is wired for auto start so I ordered the ARC 50 for $30 more.  I think I just have to order the module for it to work.  WOW a big upgrade.  Anybody want the old inverter charger?  It will make a great boat anchor.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, jleamont said:

Puff, is that compartment vented?

Now you have me concerned. My XantreX RS2000 is in a separate compartment, isolated from everything else-no vent. Below that is the battery compartment, which does have a vent on the back wall. The batteries will get dirty from road dust, the inverter does not get dirty due to the "D" seals around both compartments. It's been that way since April 2000, so it must not overheat the inverter.

Guess I'll put a remote thermometer in with the inverter for a while to check.