richard5933

Accelerator pedal extension/riser

I finally determined what's causing my right knee to hurt after a day of driving...the accelerator pedal is just a bit too far to the right and a bit too far from my seat. Being only 5'-2" tall, this is nothing new, and this time I'm a bit short (pun intended) of ideas for solving it.

I don't have cruise control and don't want it, so lets leave that out of the conversation. The problem is coming from 'floating' my heel over the pedal while I press the pedal with my toes for the hours that I'm driving. This is causing pain in the top of my knee under the knee cap since it causes constant tension in the muscles.

Oddly, the brake treadle is perfect for me, as is the clutch pedal. I think that because the accelerator is slightly offset to the right of the seat it makes it just enough of a stretch to be a problem. Can't move the accelerator without moving the brake pedal since they share the same mounting platform, so that's out as a solution. I did try moving the seat close, but then it's too close to comfortably use the brake and clutch. Hard to see from the photo, but the brake treadle is directly in front of where my foot naturally falls, but the accelerator treadle is enough to the right that it is about 1" too far away.

So, I'm trying to come up with a way to build a riser on the accelerator. Right now my idea is to get a pedal cover and a 1" piece of some type of rigid foam behind it and make a riser block for the pedal.

Anyone already done this or seen something similar? I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if there is already a solution out there.

1974 GMC 4108a-125 13.JPG

I remember riding with my grandpa back in the 60's and he had a wedge fastened to his accelerator pedal. It was just made with a piece of wood. Without the block he could only reach the pedal with the tip of his toe.

These were the good old days, great memories.

Jim

21 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Richard,  is there any may to move your seat over a bit and not interfere with the steering?

Herman 

Over? As in sideways? No. Just the usual forward/back up/down. No room to move pedestal at all sideways.

I have also seen the wedge solution used. You might take a piece of 2X4 cut the length of the accelerator and cut to the width of the pedal, then an a tablesaw cut longways in the shape of a wedge, leave it about 3/8" at the bottom and the full 1.5 inches at the top. Drill a couple of holes large enough to thread a couple of wire ties and use those to fasten to the pedal. Try this and if it works for you, then make it pretty or use as a pattern for a more permanent solution. I have also seen a simple stop placed across the pedal and about one third up from the bottom to be used as a heel stop.

I'm with Kay on this.  Experiment with different cut pieces. Consider the natural position of the foot on any accelerator pedal, remembering that the pedal is flat.  Drill a small hole through the block of wood for a tie-wrap so it does not feel uncomfortable on top of the block.  May even consider an aluminum designed piece for a riser.

I just had to say this, buy some riser shoes.

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

...I just had to say this, buy some riser shoes.

Wish I had kept those from the 70s when they were in style. I think the tallest my brother and I had were 3" lifts in our boots, all to keep up with the latest disco boots & bell bottom jeans trends.

Richard, have you looked on Amazon? I did a quick search and came up with a few different brake and gas pedal extenders.

4 minutes ago, IanBullock said:

Richard, have you looked on Amazon? I did a quick search and came up with a few different brake and gas pedal extenders.

I did - most seemed to be suited for use on an automobile pedal and were much narrower and shorter than what I need. My pedal is about 2-3/4" wide x 9" long. I need about 1" of extra height on the pedal. I've got a replacement rubber cover for my pedal on the way along with a dense foam rubber block. I'm going to experiment with those along with a hot glue gun and see what I can come up with. I'm imagining that somehow I'll fabricate this to use Velcro straps to tie it onto the existing pedal so that it can be removed, at least until I'm sure it's a keeper.

My pedal setup is similar many Class A chassis setups, so I was kind of hoping that someone had already skinned this cat once before.

Richard, since I add flooring to a ton of coaches with your accelerator pedal, I have removed that as there are 3 screws holding it down to the plywood floor. The TPS is under the pedal connected by a cable, which should have adequate length to move. Also, that cable may have a little clamp on it to keep it in place. Easy fix.

Now- if you were wanting to remove brake pedal- don't even think about it as that is connected to a valve with a rod below the floor.

2 hours ago, Erniee said:

Richard, since I add flooring to a ton of coaches with your accelerator pedal, I have removed that as there are 3 screws holding it down to the plywood floor. The TPS is under the pedal connected by a cable, which should have adequate length to move. Also, that cable may have a little clamp on it to keep it in place. Easy fix.

Now- if you were wanting to remove brake pedal- don't even think about it as that is connected to a valve with a rod below the floor.

I've got an air throttle, so things might be different. I'll have to explore and see how it's mounted. From first glance it looks like both the throttle and brake pedals share at least part of the mounting system.

Here's what I've come up with so far. It's a replacement pedal cover from a Kenworth truck which I hot glued to a 1" thick piece of very dense foam. There are two Velcro straps which hold it to the OEM pedal. This gives me about 1-1/4" of extra reach, which should be plenty.

Not sure I can move the pedal assembly - looks like it's on the same mounting bracket as the brake pedal.

20190803_104522.jpg

Quick solution:  wood block or wedge and a couple of belts with Velcro fasteners?

After rereading, I tried to delete this.  Couldn't so s'cuse me.

Edited by UrbanHermit

Richard 5933 , go to a Shop that raises Pickup Truck Suspensions , they have Pinion Angle Shimms for Differentials .they come in all different Degrees ,thes changes also the thicknes ,the are made from Aluminium i think and also have a Diamond type off Pattern to make them slip proof . Hope this helps . Save Travels .     Old Marine

1 hour ago, oldmarine said:

Richard 5933 , go to a Shop that raises Pickup Truck Suspensions , they have Pinion Angle Shimms for Differentials .they come in all different Degrees ,thes changes also the thicknes ,the are made from Aluminium i think and also have a Diamond type off Pattern to make them slip proof . Hope this helps . Save Travels .     Old Marine

Thanks. The one I made is still working well, so I'm inclined to leave it be for now. If I decide to redo this with something more substantial, I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:59 PM, RayIN said:

richard, here is how to cheap out making a gas pedal extender:

Nifty !  I sit closer to the wheel than I'd like to have a comfortable reach to the gas pedal (5-10, 30-inch inseam, knees typically located).  I think I'm gonna do this if I can remove the gas pedal and reattach it with the wedge in place.  This guy was fortunate the pedal snapped on and off.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:41 AM, manholt said:

UH, to delete, just left click and back out of line or sentence.

That leaves a black space.  I wanted to delete the whole post.  UH.