gottular1249

Cracked shower pan

I have a 2004 Keystone Montana that has a cracked shower pan.  I did a temporary patch but would like something more permanent.  I had the RV dealer contact keystone and they said this pan was no longer available.  I went to Icon Direct but they don't have any pan that comes close to matching.  Does anyone know of other companies that might carry this pan?  If not, do you have a suggestion about a permanent fix to the current one? Thanks

6 hours ago, F433921 said:

I would make the repair with resin and cloth then use tint able bed liner for finish coat.

Jim

Years ago I did this to repair a fiberglass canoe that during a storm had been blown off my trailer. Worked very well. My son is still using it. You can buy the materials at automotive parts stores. We have one in our town that specializes in body repair supplies. The items are glass mat, two part epoxy and plastic putty knife to apply. 

Put on a coat of the epoxy, while wet apply glass mat. Coat one or two more times with the epoxy. When dry and hard, sand edges smooth. Tint can be added to the epoxy as desired. 

Here is a video that night help you. Don't worry about weight  he is talking about aircraft repairs and they always worry about weight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYfaTnIsSc

Ross, I think the matt comes out a little rougher than I like. I would use a layer or 2 of matt and a cover of fine cloth.

Bill 

Ditto the fine cloth!  Since I retired & stopped using steel toe boots, I have tender feet...calluses are gone!!!

If it were mine, I would find the cause of the cracking and remedy that first; perhaps more distributed support underneath would prevent a re-occurrence.

15 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The cloth I use was smoother than the canoe. Maybe because I coated the cloth with thick coats of the epoxy. 

You can get the same results using clear  polyethylene sheeting over the repair so you can work out any air bubbles and excess resin. With out more knowledge of the damage it would be hard to detail a complete process.

I use to work in a fiberglass shop when I was in the AF maney  years ago. We had to repair radomes for KC-135 A/C and we got in trouble because when we were done the finish was to slick to get the special coating to stick. The paint shop was mad because they had to rough up the surface.

Ray, that sounds like a good idea.

Bill