dlrollingcondo

Microwave outlet dead

We have a 2008 Cayman. The microwave outlet is dead. We have tried resetting the main breakers (numerous times), the 2 breakers on the inverter (numerous times), checked outlet to inverter and no power, and the 2 GFI are operable with power.  All the other outlets work and the TVs both work. Does anyone know anything else we can check? 

Not actually knowing where the outlet is located in your mh, have you checked the outlet with a meter. Some microwaves have internal fuses that will make them ‘dead’ and it’s not a problem with the incoming power. 

The receptacle my microwave is plugged into is a GFCI plug.  If yours is too, did you check the reset button?  If it is and it is not "popped" it may be bad.  Take the face plate off and actually check the wires.  Good luck.

I have never seen a relay used in a 120 volt circuit for this purpose. The wire going to toe outlet may have a bad connection on the other end, I have seen that in some cases, most circuits like that are wired in series meaning that one recep is wired to another upstream. A pulse tone generator with a tone probe is a handy tool for checking those conditions, the generator is attached to the positive and the neutral then turn on the generator, the tone probe is then used to check other outlets for the tone, this will let you know where the breakdown is actually occurring. Many times the electrician that wired the circuitry may have used the push in rather than actually using the screw lugs, and sometimes the screw lugs actually loosen over time allowing the wire to not make good contact. Here is a link to a pretty inexpensive generator and probe https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTECH-TG20-Tone-Generator-and-Probe-Kit/333256968423?epid=9027733050&hash=item4d97a9c8e7:g:QnsAAOSwT8FdHhM7

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

I have never seen a relay used in a 120 volt circuit for this purpose. The wire going to toe outlet may have a bad connection on the other end, I have seen that in some cases, most circuits like that are wired in series meaning that one recep is wired to another upstream. A pulse tone generator with a tone probe is a handy tool for checking those conditions, the generator is attached to the positive and the neutral then turn on the generator, the tone probe is then used to check other outlets for the tone, this will let you know where the breakdown is actually occurring. Many times the electrician that wired the circuitry may have used the push in rather than actually using the screw lugs, and sometimes the screw lugs actually loosen over time allowing the wire to not make good contact. Here is a link to a pretty inexpensive generator and probe https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTECH-TG20-Tone-Generator-and-Probe-Kit/333256968423?epid=9027733050&hash=item4d97a9c8e7:g:QnsAAOSwT8FdHhM7

The intellitec load management may shut a few items down if it sense less than 50 amp input power.  I seen it in action when running a/c and running microwave plugged into 30 amps.    It uses relays in the main 120 volt circuit box.  

3 hours ago, DLRollingCondo said:

We have a 2008 Cayman. The microwave outlet is dead. We have tried resetting the main breakers (numerous times), the 2 breakers on the inverter (numerous times), checked outlet to inverter and no power, and the 2 GFI are operable with power.  All the other outlets work and the TVs both work. Does anyone know anything else we can check? 

Are you on shore power?  Does it do the same running the generator?

Our Monaco product had a problem with an outlet not working, bad outlet. The wires crimp into the back of the outlet and when you snap the back cover on it pierced the wires. It appeared that it was never seated properly and disconnected. I replaced that outlet, local RV dealer had it and it was less than $5.00

I'd bet the microwave is on a dedicated circuit all by itself.  Check for power at the breaker and make sure the screw on the breaker and the neutral wires are tight. 

11 hours ago, DLRollingCondo said:

We pulled the outlet and checked for power coming into the outlet with a meter and there is no power getting to the outlet. We were wondering if their was a relay or something we are missing.

Need to ask if the Microwave outlet has no AC when connected to shore power ?

There is a bypass relay in the inverter that switches the microwave power from inverter to shore power and visa-versa. If power is missing when on shore power  or generator power, the relay might have failed - might also check the continuity of the circuit breaker powering the microwave. NO POWER from generator or shore power when testing this breaker and the Inverter should be off also !

Please post the Make and Model of your inverter . charger>

Rich.

My microwave is on a circuit powered by the inverter. That doesn't mean all of them are the same. All good answers but it could be something as simple as the inverter is off or the power cable from the batteries is not making good conection.

13 hours ago, DLRollingCondo said:

We pulled the outlet and checked for power coming into the outlet with a meter and there is no power getting to the outlet.

The simplest thing is to start tracing back down that circuit till you find power.

Bill

Everything else in the motorhome works on shore,  generator, and inverter power with the exception of that one outlet. Good news!? As we were sitting at the dinet talking about how baffling it is, the microwave clock came on and now it works as it is supposed to after 10 days of not working. The generator had been running at least 30 minutes before it decided to work. Hopefully it has fixed itself.

48 minutes ago, DLRollingCondo said:

Everything else in the motorhome works on shore,  generator, and inverter power with the exception of that one outlet. Good news!? As we were sitting at the dinet talking about how baffling it is, the microwave clock came on and now it works as it is supposed to after 10 days of not working. The generator had been running at least 30 minutes before it decided to work. Hopefully it has fixed itself.

Sounds like it's about ready to let the smoke out.  You need to find the loose connection before it does.  

Based on our experience this weekend with a near catastrophic short in our coach, SHUT OFF THE BREAKER AND DON'T USE THE MICROWAVE UNTIL YOU IDENTIFY AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

Sorry for raising my voice for a second, but these things don't usually end as well as ours did. You were also blessed with the early warning. Take advantage of the heads up and trace that circuit stem to stern.

4 hours ago, DLRollingCondo said:

Thanks for all the great advice. We will keep an eye on it and continue to try to figure out what went wrong. The model number for the inverter is ME2012. 

That inverter has two 120 volt input and two output.  It supplies inverted 120 power to certain receptacle like TV, microwave and some outlets.   If the microwave didn't work from the inverter the entire leg would be out.  Please look on page 23 of this manual.   If wired single leg in and out then the microwave would be separate depending on fuse panel.  

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagArchive/64-0002-rev.-2-9-03-ME-Series.pdf

If the Microwave is in a slide I would check the connections (two) between the slide and the chassis first for loose connections. I have seen the wire nuts come loose between the solid and stranded wires.

I guess now I know, why I have seen more coaches on fire, in the past 2 years, than the previous 53! :(  I wish the OP good luck..

2 hours ago, dkreuzen said:

If the Microwave is in a slide I would check the connections (two) between the slide and the chassis first for loose connections. I have seen the wire nuts come loose between the solid and stranded wires.

Why are they using solid wires and wire nuts in the first place? Neither of these is truly well-suited for a moving vehicle. The gold standard would seem to be the use of marine-grade stranded wire and crimped connections. At the least stranded wire and not solid, which has a tendency to crack when subjected to movement.

The microwave receptacle was one where the solid copper wire was only pressed in a slot on the back of the receptacle. Fortunately I was able detect poor connection before it over headed and no damage was done to the ROMEX wire. I was able to replace the receptacle with a 20 residential one with attachment screws.

Jim

Best thing you could do. Those press to connect outlets are not what I consider to be quality. I had the same problem with an outlet for the TV in the bedroom.