Sign in to follow this  
Pat60

Driving up the East Coast

Question

We will be leaving Ocala, Fla., sometime in May to head up to Gettysburg, then on to Niagara Falls, then to Bar Harbor, then to Washington, D.C., and then back home to Ocala.

Does anyone have good tips about where to eat lobster in New England and any other tips about your trips to Gettysburg (you can ride horseback to tour the battlefields), Niagara Falls and Bar Harbor (we will definitely want to do Acadia)? Thanks.

Pat

4 answers to this question

Hi Pat,

We will be taking the same trip this summer, with the Gkids. For Gettysburg:

1. Go to the visitors center first. One can spend almost the entire first day there.

2. I try to do the battle field in the same order of when the historical events happened.

3. For Picket's charge, walk from the Confederates line across the field toward the union line. You'll get a Confederate soldier's view of the charge. It will change your view of history.

4. Start at Devi's den and climb up Little Round Top. This is what a Confederate soldier had to do. Once again, you may leave with a different view of the battle and what the soldiers went through.

We have been going to Acadia/Bar Harbor area for our annual vacation for the last 20+ years. Much to see and enjoy, but most only scratch the surface as they do not allow enough time to see the area. There are so many eateries serving lobster on Mt. Desert Island/Acadia that it would be hard to pin point just one. One point of interest, we enjoy, is Schoodic Point. This is part of the Acadia National Park. I could go on and on about what to see and what to avoid, but will cut it short............

Guest Wayne77590

We stayed at Artillery Ridge RV Park.

For the location, it was great. They could use a bulldozer to move some of the gravel around in the spaces, but it was adequate. It is a Passport America CG. The PA rate is $21-$23 a night, so it was worth it. Included in the stay was a free visit to the diorama that they have of the battlefields. A must see before you take the tour We preferred the Self Guided Auto Tour. Signs were posted and it was easy to follow, and the CD was great. You can spend as much or as little time as you want at each stop with the Auto Tour.

Artillery Ridge RV Park also has their own stables and offer horse back riding tours through some of the battle fields.

The campground is less than a mile(+/-) from the entrance to the Gettysburg Visitor Center.

We visited Niagara last summer. We stayed 20 miles from Niagara Falls, at Niagara Heartland RV Resort. This is an out of the way place, that is quiet and peaceful. It also was a Passport America campground. I believe the PA Rate was $12 a night. They added $5 a night for metered electricity. We ran our AC for 3 days and nights, and when we left, we got $4 back on the $15 deposit. I want to say this was a 'cash only' CG, but I'm not sure, so a call can confirm that.

We stayed a few 1 nighters along the way to Central Mass. I'd have to get the log book out of the MH in storage to give you information on CG's if you are interested.

We traveled back and forth between MA and RI in the TOAD. We looked at several parks in the area, and the only one I could recommend in Rhode Island, is Fishermen's Memorial State Park, by the Block Island Ferry. It is only 21 miles from Newport, RI. Newport is a fun town with some very old mansions that you can tour, for a price.

We took a trip to Maine, and stayed at the Durham/Freeport KOA. It is about 6 miles from the L. L. Bean outlet. Another nice place to visit. We relied on the local's for information on where to dine. We were never steered wrong.

Happy trails.

Thank you for all your great traveling tips...have printed them out for later reference.

We just got back from the air show in Lakeland, FL which was fantastic. Had no idea how large this air show is. Already made reservations for next year's show.

Have not yet set a definite date for leaving on our trip north but hope to add to this blog along the way. We are looking at around the middle of May and being gone for a couple of months.

This will be our first extended trip and there is much to plan for both for on the road and leaving the farm behind. There is so much to remember such as how to get medications (Medicare prescription plans do not allow for preordering meds) while on the road, etc.

I have lists for my lists...ha!!!

Once again thank you.

Pat