Sign in to follow this  
sunclipper2000

Route info.

Question

We will be leaving Rapid City SD in September and heading to Ft.Meade MD.  Any suggestions on best route?  We need the fastest route to meet our reservation date, Thanks in advance. Joe

Edited by sunclipper2000

3 answers to this question

Joe,

Welcome to the Forum. Whats your time frame? Fastest way, Senic, interest? Wildebill will have a bunch of routes and interesting stops.

The only thing I can give is head East.:D:rolleyes:

Enjoy your trip

Herman

11 hours ago, sunclipper2000 said:

We will be leaving Rapid City SD in September and heading to Ft.Meade MD.  Any suggestions on best route?  Thanks in advance. Joe

Welcome to the forum. What kind time frame for the trip and what are your interest/what do you want to see/do?

Bill

East on I-90 to Souix Falls and then head south on I-29. On the north side of the Omaha area join I-80 and head east across Iowa. When you get to the Quad Cities area you are a short distance to the Illinois state line.There are three ways to get around that metro area( check for  road repairs)  I- 280 south and around to Illinois. Second/ I-74 from I-80 south thru the Quad Cities Area and east while running with I-280. Third/ I-80 around the area into Illinois and then leave I-80 to join I-74 for your ride across Illinois. South for about 35 miles and then it turns east/south east towards Indiana. When you reach the Indianapolis area I-74 will merge with I-70,.  Follow I-70 east across eastern Indiana through Ohio, West Virginia (maybe 13 miles or so) and then into PA. Join the PA toll road (turnpike) whatever. Pricey but the quickest way. At the Breezewood interchange, I-70 heads south into Maryland  and then east to the Baltimore Beltway. I-70 essentially ends there because the rest ends where you do not want to be. South on the Beltway to I-95 south or the Baltimore Washington Parkway to Ft. Meade.

I have run all of the Interstate's I suggested far more times than I can remember. They all work. Stay away from the Chicago area at all cost. We have lived in the Baltimore and nearby Pa area since 1970, but I have never been to Ft. Meade. If you are not a map reader, buy one for this trip.

Hope this helps.