elmer49

2005 Alfa Founder where is the B.I.R.D isolator located in the RV

Trying to find the Bird isolator on my 2005 Alfa Founder 36 foot. When running generator or plugged in to shore power 13.5 volts to house batteries. When running engine only 12.5 volts at house batteries, but 14 volts at chassis batteries. All indication that bird isolator is bad. HELP. 

Find the relay and check 12 volt power and ground to i with engine running.  If you have 12 volts and good ground, then bad relay.  If not race the wire to its source.  

I'm sorry but the relay I'm talking about is actually a solenoid properly near the batteries.  Check why that is not working.  

The bird has 5 wires this isolator let's the diesel engine alternator charge house batteries when driving down the road. The Big boy isolator near batteries isolate the house from engine while engine is not running and your plugged in or running the generator. The b.i.r.d is usually near the inverter/charger or near generator or in driver side outside compartments.  Picture of BIRD

13724414059981494174719.jpeg

I haven't located the sales brochure for a 2005 Founder, however the 2006 sales brochure hints the Founder model may not have a BIRD unit. quote: " Built on the foundation of the Alfa See Ya!, the Founder caters to those who prefer a simpler lifestyle—less electronics and gadgets—just all the basics to makeyour RV". experience the best there is.

The Founder may actually have what huffypuff described instead of a BIRD unit.

That is The Big Boy isolator which I was talking with AlfaTeers and it is when the engine is not running it isolates the chassis from house batteries so not to run chassis batteries down. When plugged in or on generator it charges the house batteries. The bird isolator is when engine runs.... 

Does the big relay have two small wires or only one? Maybe a better way to ask, does the relay have one or two small post? If two, are both wires attached?

17 hours ago, elmer49 said:

That is The Big Boy isolator which I was talking with AlfaTeers and it is when the engine is not running it isolates the chassis from house batteries so not to run chassis batteries down. When plugged in or on generator it charges the house batteries. The bird isolator is when engine runs.... 

Actually, the BIRD unit operates when the engine is running, genset is running, and when on shore power: https://www.intellitec.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/53-00362-100.pdf

2 hours ago, RayIN said:

Actually, the BIRD unit operates when the engine is running, genset is running, and when on shore power: https://www.intellitec.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/53-00362-100.pdf

On the last page there is a continuous duty solenoid and I mention to him to check power and ground to it to engage that solenoid.  It could be getting 12 volts from the alternator while engine is running.  The inverter/charger job is to charge the house batteries while on shore power or running the generator.  He needs to check why the solenoid is not switching on before searching for a part that might not be on his coach.  It should be in the battery compartment and you only need a test light to check it.  

Both of the units mention above are 4 wire for gas diesel is 5 wire. But, what i need is where is the Bird unit located on a 2005 Alfa Founder.....please

On 7/31/2019 at 8:58 PM, elmer49 said:

Both of the units mention above are 4 wire for gas diesel is 5 wire. But, what i need is where is the Bird unit located on a 2005 Alfa Founder.....please

As I said earlier, I'm not sure your coach has one according to the sales brochure wording for an '06. There is a different, less expensive way to accomplish battery isolator charging. Re-read huffypuff's last reply. If your MH does have a BIRD, the only way I know of to discover the location is to trace wiring from a known point, like the battery boost switch on the dash.

If you want to buy a used one for a diesel pusher check here: https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M121167/s1.pl

This webpage seems to indicate it may be located in the engine compartment or near the batteries.https://rvelectrical.com/product/intellitec-isolator-relay-b-i-r-d-diesel-00-00839-000/

That webpage has a full explanation of how and why it works.

I would start at the batteries and work from there. I bet it is near or in the battery control box. Find where both battery cables come together. (house and coach) I am betting it isn't far  from the batteries because it will be a heavy duty wire.

Bill

Here is the picture of the constant duty solenoid I promise.  It serves as both starting boost (by holding a button) and charge  by connecting house and chassis batteries together while engine is running.   Two set of 12 volt wiring goes into this setup, one from the boost switch and one from the alternator.

Below picture shows the solenoid.  The large cable connectors got cut off by the box above it.  The rust and corrosion due being in a wet compartment area and is hard on that solenoid.  I had to replace it once for that reason.  One thing to note, if the chassis battery is very low it will take away voltage from the solenoid so it won't kick on.  

silinoid.thumb.jpg.0c7a873d86f400344782955cf3cdc23a.jpg  

Below is a simplified wiring diagram  showing charging without battery boost button.  

1731820513_wiringsolenoid.jpg.f843f10ebca1d2d26655664408a09a65.jpg

The BIRD that you see in the picture is used to isolate the HOUSE batteries from the INVERTER batteries through the big boy relay.  The Battery Control Center (BCC) has a built in controller that does similar for the Chassis and House Batteries.  That is assuming that you don't have your house and inverter batteries "COMBINED" in which case the B.I.R.D. is no longer required nor are one of the Big Boy Relays (Keep it as a spare... they want nearly $300 for them puppies!), the orange sense wire to your inverter battery, or one of the knife switches (only closed in the event of a Big Boy relay failure.)  This is a wiring diagram for an '04 (mine) with the batteries combined.

Alfa Seeya Wiring Diagram 2.pdf.png

Your Alfa was built by the Crean family who used a Battery Control Center in their Fleetwood products.
Maybe you have a BCC from either RV Custom Products or Intellitec.
Follow the 2 small leads from the isolator relay and see if they go into the lower right corner of a black box.
If so, open the front of the BCC and you'll find a wiring print on the inside of the cover. Look on the circuit board for the manufacturs name and contact them for guidance.

Richard