2012sam

Which Brand of Tire is Best

Which brand of tire would be best for a 42' tag axle Class A?  Currently I have Michelin 275/80 R 22.5 XZA3 but the wife says they are a bit noisy.  I'm unsure of what is out there that would keep the noise down, good wear and tear, and driveability.  I need all 8 tires and I'm not looking for the cheapest but most certainly not the most expensive either.  Thanks for any suggestions...

Best advice I've received is from a tire dealer insisting that I don't over-buy tires.  Unless we are on the road full time and putting 15k miles a year or more, we will time out of the tire before wearing it out.  UV and heat will kill the tire in 5 to 7 years and in many cases people still have lots of wear left on the tire.  Cracks in the tread grooves and sidewall dictate the tire be replaced regardless of how much tread is left.  He suggested TO'YO, Continental, Bridgestone, Cumho, etc.  unless I would be on the road a lot.  Michelin is by far the best tire in his opinion, but he has customers throwing away expensive Michelins with most of its tread still on the tire.

I wound up trading the coach in on another before buying tires, so I can't say I prefer one over the other.  Just passing on recommendations from an expert.

Our current coach has General's on it. They are a good tire. Previously we had Dayton's which we purchased through Love's. Dayton is a Bridgestone tire and by purchasing at Loves' got roadside service anywhere in the country under their warranty if there were any issues. Those were also good tires. Our rig before that had Toyo's M144 on it. To be honest I did not notice any difference in noise in any of them.

I agree with the poster above that they will need to be replaced in 5 to 7 years so don't spring for the big buck Michelins

Lots of places in a coach which can cause noise. If your tires are not ready for replacement otherwise, I'd first confirm that they are causing the problem.

Also, what are you using to set the pressure in the current tires?

2012Sam --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many good folks on the forum who have a lot of knowledge and experiences to share.  To help get quicker answers, it would be good for you to create a signature block showing your motorhome type, what type of vehicle you tow, etc.

I too am in the market to replace the 4-1/2 year old Michelin XZE2+ tires which are starting to have some sidewall cracking.  The Michelins are OEM tires that Freightliner installed on my XCR chassis.   The FMCA tire discount program offers some minor price reductions for Michelin and Continental tires and a big price reductions for Hankook tires.    Your comment for over-paying for tires is spot on.   For motorhome owners like me who only travel ~5,000 miles per year, a "Tier II" tire like a Hankook provides the quality and above all safety for low annual mileage.   A motorhome owners needs to drive at least 30,000 miles per year to justify the higher cost of Michelin or Continental tires which have a tread life of 150,000+ miles over the course of a five year tire material life. 

For a lot of motorhome owners like me who are "weekend adventurers" with low annual mileage, a lower cost tire like a Hankook is the way to go as our tires will "age-out" long before they wear-out.

Also, as Richard asked, what is the age of your tires?  If over five years old they are nearing the 'age-out' time for replacement and definitely need to be replaced if they are seven years old.  If the tires are not in need of replacement, then as Richard stated there are many others potential sources of noise. 

A bit more information on my tires for those asking.  My tires are OEM and my coach purchased new at the end of 2011.  I run 100 PSI all around with approx 30,000 miles on her.  She has been stored indoors the entire time other than on excursions.  The tires look great with lots of tread and no cracking on the sidewalls or uneven wear.  It's only because they are 8+ years old that I am looking.  As for the noise, the wife says it is road noise, I'm not sure since my ears aren't like they used to be.  Thanks ...

2012Sam --

Your tires are likely closer to nine years old as by the time a new chassis is built-out into a new motorhome, the tires provided with the chassis likely are already several months old before the new motorhome is sold.   If you look at your tires, you will find the date they were manufactured (see image below).   The forum's tire expert (Tireman) will always advise replacing tires after they are seven years old.   Tires that are five years old need to be thoroughly inspected annually to assure they are safe to use until they reach the age of seven.

Driving on your likely nine year old tires is a significant safety risk for you and your family.   This is a video of what can happen when a motorhome front tire blows-out --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTufMmcqSwY

Tire Manufacturing Date.JPG

Sounds like new tires are in order.

Did you weigh the coach to come up with the 100 psi setting? If not, you may find that you have them overinflated based on the weight of your coach using the load & inflation table. If so, that would contribute to road noise. Could also be partially due to riding on tires that are 8-9 years old and not as flexible as they once were.

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Sounds like new tires are in order.

Did you weigh the coach to come up with the 100 psi setting? If not, you may find that you have them overinflated based on the weight of your coach using the load & inflation table. If so, that would contribute to road noise. Could also be partially due to riding on tires that are 8-9 years old and not as flexible as they once were.

Agree.

I have three axles and three different tire pressures.  Each axle should have tire pressure noted in the appropriate manual using the heavy side of the axle.  Most people add 10 lbs or 10% to that number.  My Michelins were cracking at six and a  half years, so I just had 315 Continentals put on the front and 295/80s Toyos on the rear.

I had Hancook tires when we bought the coach, but they timed out. We replaced the tires with Hercules tires and the ride and noise remained about the same. the only difference that i noticed was the wandering almost went away.

BF Goodrich, 8 new in June, on 45', 2/3 cost of Michelin, built by Michelin, 315/80/22.5...my August 2014 Michelin's was cracked and not safe, that's less then 5 years!  I roll 12,000+ miles a year, this year will be over 17,000!  BFG, no road noise, smooth ride, carry 110# on all 8. 

Thanks Joe L. for recommendation!!!

Not sure how to answer the OP question. I spent a good portion of my career trying to develop tires to meet the various targets from different car companies.  One challenge was to get a list that prioritized the different goals when many times the customer considered all targets to be equally important.

One problem is that without doing a direct comparison of two different tires on the same vehicle, it is almost impossible to do a "clean" comparison.  You might read http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2019/05/why-no-tire-reviews.html    to get a better appreciation of the problem.

17 hours ago, f442485 said:

Hercules Strong Guard, sorry,i did not read your whole post.

That’s a tire brand I forgot about. A previous employer of mine ran those and Hankook. Good tires! 

If you are asking me about Triangle tires, no i have not heard of them. My tire guy has, but he said that no one in Southern California stocks them.

6 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Is there any type of centralized database showing problems with the different brands of tires?

Yes, however they all appear to be owned/operated by law firms but this one: https://recallinfo.ustires.org/

A side note to "which is the best tire" is this presentation made in 2014:  https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

On 8/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, richard5933 said:

Is there any type of centralized database showing problems with the different brands of tires?

NHTSA does have a list of tire "complaints"   Remember that some/many complaints may have nothing to do with the actual quality of the subject tire but may be a complaint based on a tire not being able to function because of external damage such as puncture or overload or under-inflation.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new set of Hankook AH37, 275/70R22.5 tires for my motorhome from Southern Tire Mart near my home in Katy, TX.   The FMCA discount pricing (~40% discount) for Hankook tires is a better than a price that Southern Tire Mart can offer for "Tier II" tires such as Hankook, Yokohama and Firestone.   The sales manager at Southern Tire Mart told me he very rarely recommends nor sells "Tier I" tires for motorhomes (such as Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone) given that his "typical" motorhome customers only drive their motorhomes ~5,000 miles per year.

Southern Tire Mart does not sell the least expensive "Tier III" tires (brands most folks have not heard of) due to safety and quality concerns.

9 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

I'm in the process of purchasing a new set of Hankook AH37, 275/70R22.5 tires for my motorhome from Southern Tire Mart near my home in Katy, TX.   The FMCA discount pricing (~40% discount) for Hankook tires is a better than a price that Southern Tire Mart can offer for "Tier II" tires such as Hankook, Yokohama and Firestone.   The sales manager at Southern Tire Mart told me he very rarely recommends nor sells "Tier I" tires for motorhomes (such as Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone) given that his "typical" motorhome customers only drive their motorhomes ~5,000 miles per year.

Southern Tire Mart does not sell the least expensive "Tier III" tires (brands most folks have not heard of) due to safety and quality concerns.

I just got new tires at STM also.  Continentals on the front and Toyos on the rear.  Excellent pricing....FMCA rate on the front and 21% off the rear.  Due to a mix up on the rear tires, the wrong size were installed....partly my fault and partly STM's fault....they gave me a full refund on the incorrect tires, put the Toyos on with the discount and reduced all the mounting fees by 50%.

Both Toyo and Michelin are great manufacturers of tires. If you need an all-weather tire, Toyo RV tires are a good choice because of their outstanding anti-slip grip. When it comes to warranties, Michelin tires are great because of their 10-year warranty. Both are good anyway.

Edited by tom7020