elkhartjim

Diesel Fuel Discount Program

I prefer to use my own visa card because I get 5% cash back.  I use gas buddy to locate the least expensive diesel in the area and pick it up with my Silverado 96 gal tank and transfer it to the motorhome that way it doesn't make any difference if its a small station.  Usually stations with the least expensive fuel have a good turnover in volume of fuel.  They are usually priced 20-40 cents lower.   I also don't buy fuel from a station that refuses to fly the American flag because it might offend someone.  To each his own.

Yeah I use my own Visa card too a Pilot Flying J to get my 5% back. This is in addition to the GoodSam 5 cents off per gallon.  I also can use the app to get my receipt. 

6 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Silverado 96 gal tank and transfer it to the motorhome

Now that’s a great idea!

On 7/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, IanBullock said:

Yeah I use my own Visa card too a Pilot Flying J to get my 5% back. This is in addition to the GoodSam 5 cents off per gallon.  I also can use the app to get my receipt. 

If you use a Visa card at Pilot/Flying J to get 5% back, how do you also use your Good Sams Pilot card to get the additional 5 cents off at the pump plus the receipt on the iPhone app?

When buying diesel I always thought I had to use my Pilot card (Good Sams) to get my 9 cents off?

I just swipe my GoodSam card, followed by my Visa CC.  The price at the pump is reduced by 5 cents forthe GoodSam discount, the 5% CC discount shows up on my CC monthly statement. 

My GoodSam # is registered on my log in on the Pilot Flying J app, which syncs the receipts. 

I don't have a Pilot Flying J CC. 

2 hours ago, IanBullock said:

I just swipe my GoodSam card, followed by my Visa CC.  The price at the pump is reduced by 5 cents forthe GoodSam discount, the 5% CC discount shows up on my CC monthly statement. 

My GoodSam # is registered on my log in on the Pilot Flying J app, which syncs the receipts. 

I don't have a Pilot Flying J CC. 

I don't buy at P/FJ because their prices are high.  At this moment in Lk Havasu City P/FJ is 38 cents higher than 2 other stations.  I think that beats a 5 cent discount plus I get my 5% cash back on Visa.

You could be right however in my 20 plus years of travel I have rarely seen this to be the case.  Usually the are competitive. Although I can't see the diesel prices in the Lk Havasu City area at this moment, the gas price of $2.84 at Pilot appesrs to be the cheapest in the area. 

Whatever floats your boat! Or in this case fills your tank! 😊

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

You could be right however in my 20 plus years of travel I have rarely seen this to be the case.  Usually the are competitive. Although I can't see the diesel prices in the Lk Havasu City area at this moment, the gas price of $2.84 at Pilot appesrs to be the cheapest in the area. 

Whatever floats your boat! Or in this case fills your tank! 😊

Diesel 20 sec ago it was $3.15 at Pilot and $2.77 at Maverick, Smiths, and Zip.  This is quite often the case and is the way I have done it for over 40 years. You can see the prices anywhere in the country on Gas Buddy.

Yes but to get to those stations you have to drive into  Lk Havasu City and its over 20 miles off I40. A 40 plus mile detour. That alone chews up a good portion of your savings. Like $16.00.or more. 

By my calculation on a 100 gallons I'm saving $15.75 @ 5% , $5.00 for GoodSam, and the $16 in extra fuel by not driving into town, a total of $36.75..

Now I know i would have got 5% off at the other stations too but still a good $25 saving for me. And no hour detour!  And city traffic!

Like I said, whatever works for you. I'll stick with my plan. 

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

Yes but to get to those stations you have to drive into  Lk Havasu City and its over 20 miles off I40. A 40 plus mile detour. That alone chews up a good portion of your savings. Like $16.00.or more. 

By my calculation on a 100 gallons I'm saving $15.75 @ 5% , $5.00 for GoodSam, and the $16 in extra fuel by not driving into town, a total of $36.75..

Now I know i would have got 5% off at the other stations too but still a good $25 saving for me. And no hour detour!  And city traffic!

Like I said, whatever works for you. I'll stick with my plan. 

I don't have to drive there because thats where I live.  I fill up in town and I can travel more than 2500 miles before I have to buy fuel.  185 gal in the motorhome and 96 in the truck tank.  When I'm in the campground if I need fuel I use gas buddy and find the lowest price for diesel.  I go for it in my truck and come back and transfer to the motorhome.

Recently an iRV2 forum member provided basic info about TSD Logistic's offer to diesel RVers to participate in their fuel discount program they use with their EFS program primarily at Loves, TA and Pilot/Flying J with Loves offering the best discounts.

Here is the iRV2 forum post that answers just about every question we have had: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/fuel-discount-program-to-good-to-be-true-450563.html

My largest discount todate was 46 cents a gallon but today's discount at local Loves would only be 36 cents. It fluctuates every day.

Wanted to share what I believe is a great deal for RVers allowing us to fly through the truck lanes without going inside, payring, pumping, going back to get our receipt. Saves time and money.

Best wishes - Richard

I took advantage of the TSD discount card. 

I use a separate savings account for all electronic WDs and by using online banking I can check to insure every WD is correct.

TSD sends you an email daily prior to making the electronic WD showing your card use the precious day by location, gallons purchased, discount price, total charged, total to be deducted from account which is 10% less than the total per gallon savings. When I'm traveling I keep a minimum amount in my account and add to it as needed. I keep a log book of my trips so I record fuel gal and cost by place and time and then I compare my daily purchases to the TSD email. IF, and I say IF there is a discrepancy I will call TSD immediately but I don't anticipate any problems. 

Every morning TSD sends out the fuel discount prices for Loves, Pilot/Flying J and TA. I usually have my trip planned out with the 3 providers locations identified. I post their discount price to my itinerary, look up each one on Gas Buddy and RvParky to determine fuel prices and select the ones I will stop at on this leg of my trip. In addition, I usually look them up on Google Maps to insure easy in and out.

Hope this provides some useful information to each of you. Richard

On 7/29/2019 at 2:46 PM, desertdeals69 said:

I don't have to drive there because thats where I live.  I fill up in town and I can travel more than 2500 miles before I have to buy fuel.  185 gal in the motorhome and 96 in the truck tank.  When I'm in the campground if I need fuel I use gas buddy and find the lowest price for diesel.  I go for it in my truck and come back and transfer to the motorhome.

I guess I'm still an old boater at heart when it comes to hauling around a ton of fuel.  It I understand your post correctly you pull a PU that can hold 96 gallons of diesel between it's OEM tank and auxiliary fuel tank, plus you have 185 gallons tank on your coach?  Even though a 2500 miles range would be pretty impressive wouldn't hauling around almost 2,000 pounds of fuel decrease your mpg for a good part of that?

In addition, if you don't use that 250 to 280 gallons of diesel in a few weeks do you put any type of additive in those tanks?

5 minutes ago, ISPJS said:

I guess I'm still an old boater at heart when it comes to hauling around a ton of fuel.  It I understand your post correctly you pull a PU that can hold 96 gallons of diesel between it's OEM tank and auxiliary fuel tank, plus you have 185 gallons tank on your coach?  Even though a 2500 miles range would be pretty impressive wouldn't hauling around almost 2,000 pounds of fuel decrease your mpg for a good part of that?

In addition, if you don't use that 250 to 280 gallons of diesel in a few weeks do you put any type of additive in those tanks?

I am also an old boater, my lifetime career was repairing boats  and RVs.  I use the fuel within a year and add Diesel Clean.  My overall mileage is between  9.8 and 10.2 mpg.  My Silverado is gas so the oem tank is gas.  I have been doing this method for some 10 years.  I installed an identical 100 gallon second tank behind the original one to double the capacity.  Mileage is about the same when I tow my Prius on a dolly so the weight doesn't seem to make a difference.  

On TDS website today:

DUE TO HIGH VOLUMES PLEASE ALLOW 7-14 WORK DAYS FOR PROCESSING.

If you need it processed within 48 hours we have an additional charge of $20 starting 8/10/19.

If you want it sent by Fed Ex overnight an additional fee of $50 will be applied.

Fuel ought to be getting even cheaper as they grow??

6 hours ago, Elkhartjim said:

Its this one, Joe. I saved .47/gallon off posted price yesterday.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Joe, it was this one Jim linked.

It was so easy. I first called them because I want an expedited reply and just general questions.  I then filled out the application and submitted it. I called them back to tell them it was submitted. Later in the day they called me for some additional information not on the application including SSN.  SSN is needed in case of litigation later on. Or so stated.

Jim, what oil company was the discount at?

Loves.  Here is a screen shot of a few of the Texas locations. The last column is the discounted price. They send an email usually the night before with the next day prices for all the Loves, Pilot/Flying J and TA locations.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 8.42.49 PM.png

On 8/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, desertdeals69 said:

I am also an old boater, my lifetime career was repairing boats  and RVs.  I use the fuel within a year and add Diesel Clean.  My overall mileage is between  9.8 and 10.2 mpg.  My Silverado is gas so the oem tank is gas.  I have been doing this method for some 10 years.  I installed an identical 100 gallon second tank behind the original one to double the capacity.  Mileage is about the same when I tow my Prius on a dolly so the weight doesn't seem to make a difference.  

Interesting theory, don't think it would work for me to save any money.  Even if I never counted in the expense of the extra tanks and a pump, the cost of treating that much fuel plus adding another 1,500 to 1,800 pounds would kill any savings for me.  I tow a 24' enclosed trailer that weighs just over 10,000.  Without the trailer I can get between 1 and 1.5 more in mpg.  So weight does make a different in my Cummins motor I guess.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, richardtribble said:

I took advantage of the TSD discount card. 

I use a separate savings account for all electronic WDs and by using online banking I can check to insure every WD is correct.

TSD sends you an email daily prior to making the electronic WD showing your card use the precious day by location, gallons purchased, discount price, total charged, total to be deducted from account which is 10% less than the total per gallon savings. When I'm traveling I keep a minimum amount in my account and add to it as needed. I keep a log book of my trips so I record fuel gal and cost by place and time and then I compare my daily purchases to the TSD email. IF, and I say IF there is a discrepancy I will call TSD immediately but I don't anticipate any problems. 

Every morning TSD sends out the fuel discount prices for Loves, Pilot/Flying J and TA. I usually have my trip planned out with the 3 providers locations identified. I post their discount price to my itinerary, look up each one on Gas Buddy and RvParky to determine fuel prices and select the ones I will stop at on this leg of my trip. In addition, I usually look them up on Google Maps to insure easy in and out.

Hope this provides some useful information to each of you. Richard

Richard, we are full time travelers and I am considering getting the TSD discount card.  I also look ahead for each day's travel and locate two or three possible fuel locations, almost always Pilot or Flying J stations.

You explanation and experience so far with the card is helpful.  One thing I am not clear on yet, prior to running your card at the diesel pump there will be a posted per gallon price, then when you run your card does that price actually show on the pump when you are pumping?  When does the add-on from TSD get figured in, is it on the actual pump price you are seeing/pumping or is it added in later?  I guess what I'm getting at is I pull in and the email for that day states the discounted price for the Pilot I'm at is $2.30 per gallon.  I pump 100 gallons.  Is my account actually charged $230, $235, or what exact amount?

The price at the pump will show what it always shows, in my experience. Ignore that.

There is an app from EFS which will show you the transaction report immediately after pumping the fuel, and it will show the actual amount the fuel cost you per gallon. That's not the amount that will be debited from your account though, since the program takes a fee which is 10% of the amount of your savings.

You will receive a statement overnight on every day where you use the program to purchase fuel. This report shows the pump price for the fuel, the discount you received, and the actual amount that will be debited once the TSD fee is calculated. I posted below one of the reports I received so you can see what information you receive.

We use Quicken to track all our account expenses, so I wait until I get my nightly statement to finalize the purchase in Quicken. I'm a bit OCD about Quicken, so I make two entries - the first is into an account I set up for the EFS account which I make at the time of purchase. For this transaction I enter the discounted amount the fuel cost as reported through the EFS app using a split transaction to reflect the pump price and the discount. This way I don't totally forget to enter things. The second transaction I enter into Quicken is the transfer from my checking account to the EFS account to reflect the nightly debit. In this transaction I add the fee that TSD takes. I separate the purchase in the EFS account from the debit since it's possible to have multiple fuel purchases in the same day, but the program will still only do one debit from your checking account overnight.

image.thumb.png.7fa6f9fa750cd0e41d47a4ac09f819c1.png