dlmarti1@bellsouth.net

New (old) Tires

I bought new tires for my Discovery from Camping World in Ft. Myers, Florida. When I looked at the new tires I discovered they were manufactured in July of 2007. When I complained Camping World, they advised me that Goodyear had changed their warranty period from date of manufacturer to date purchased and installed. The sales clerk said all of the manufacturers had gone to this method to get rid of their old inventory. I don't care so much about the warranty as much as driving on old tires susceptible to blow out. Has anyone else had this experience or have comments on this issue?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

An example of BUYER BEWARE.

As you say, you will very likely replace the tires based on age, not tread wear. So you will effectively get 2 years less good out of them.

An important lesson.

When I buy tires: I specify the oldest age I will accept (generally 3 months). Any good tire guy knows what you are asking.

The last 4 digits of the DOT number molded into one sidewall of each tire gives the MONTH and YEAR of production.

So, were I buying tires today, the "OLDEST" LAST FOUR DIGITS ACCEPTABLE TO ME WOULD BE 0210 (second week of January 2010). Said another way, a last four digits of 5209 would be older than I would normally except.

Brett

Guest Wayne77590

I always ask to inspect the tire before they are mounted. I tell them up-front what I will be looking for. If the date stamp is not within my range I will reject the tire(s). That way the are not out a lot of time in swapping them outl, and I'm a lot better at peace of mind knowing that I have new tires.

Caveat Emptor!

This is exactly what happened to us when we purchased 6 new Goodyear tires from Camping World in Myrtle Beach a week ago. We forgot our homework and neglected to tell them what we expected and did not check the dates until we were back at the campground. We went back the next day and complained to deaf ears and got the same explanation you received about the warranty starting from the date of purchase...but only if you have the receipt. If you don't have the receipt, the warranty starts on the date of manufacture. So, we bought three year old tires with a four year manufacturers warranty that will be valid from the date of production if I loose my receipt. In other words, we paid $2300 and have only one year left on the warranty if I misplace my receipt.

I called another Camping World (Seffner, FL) to find out their policy. I called them because I know they sell lots and lots of tires. They told me that they could not promise a specific date of manufacture but that they don't have problems with dates being that old because they sell such a high volume. They also said that the warranty begins the date of sale and suggested that we go to the Goodyear website to check the warranty. We did and it said what they said.

We knew better and simply forgot because of blind trust...CAVEAT EMPTOR For Sure!!! Speak up and Check those dates before they are mounted!!! We plan to buy another motorhome in the next two years anyway and they will unfortunately become someone else's headache.

We will be checking the sidewalls for cracks much more closely now than ever before.

Guest Wayne77590

Redbeelips,

Personally I think you have a problem that needs to be addressed with the parent company (National level). After 6 years, tires can start to dry rot. Not knowing what the date code is, I can only assume that Mfg date warranty of "1 year left," means just that. There have been news broadcasts, including either 20/20 or 60 minutes, on life expectancy of tires. It had been found out that distribution points (tire stores) do not rotate their stock as they should and therefore end up with old tires on the shelves. Again, I think you need to discuss this at the National level as a major safety concern. I wonder if they would be willing to fix any repairs that you "could" incur with those old tires.

Good luck. It just reiterates that we need to check, check, check, not only on the road, but when we purchase.

Thanks.

p.s. Make some good copies of the receipts. I have found some old receipts that have faded to an illegible state, and some just faded all the way.

Just a heads up statement as it relates to purchasing tires through Camping World. As we have a 2003 motor home, in the spring of 2009 we started considering the purchase of new road tires. I had contacted a Goodyear Truck Tire Dealer, (with 20+ stores), and spoke to them about replacement with Goodyear tires. Goodyear did not have that size, but had an optional tire size that was useable and during the conversation. asked if they could purchase Michelin RV tires, the answer was "yes" and quoted a price that was less that the Goodyear tires. I made an appointment for the installation and later in the day called "Camping World" to see what their price was, they were just short of one hundred dollars more per tire times six. When I told them of the quoted price elsewhere, the store managers response was, "that's cheaper than I can buy them for". So I guess the answer is, shop around................

I bought new tires for my Discovery from Camping World in Ft. Myers, Florida. When I looked at the new tires I discovered they were manufactured in July of 2007. When I complained Camping World, they advised me that Goodyear had changed their warranty period from date of manufacturer to date purchased and installed. The sales clerk said all of the manufacturers had gone to this method to get rid of their old inventory. I don't care so much about the warranty as much as driving on old tires susceptible to blow out. Has anyone else had this experience or have comments on this issue?

We had the same experience last summer in Washington state while visiting reletives. I noticed unusual wear on our front tires and decided to replace them. We went to a local tire dealer in Washington and they installed tires that were dated 18 months earlier. I didn't notice this until later after arriving at our home base in California. I did some research and found that this is very common and unless you specifly otherwise you will probably get tires that are anywhere from a year to even 4 or 5 years old.

Tires on my 40' Mountainaire are 6 years old. We were just embarking on an a 6000 mile trip, so bought on e Goodyear tire from Camping World in NH to carry as a spare. It was 1-1/2 years old. I too complained and called Goodyear. Goodyear that they have not made any new RV tires since that date because the market went to pieces, and that they have a large inventory of tires. They also said that the tires have been stored in climate controlled warehouses, and that their Glad to carry a spare, even though I did NOT have to use it.

The Dreamcatcher

Georgetown, MA

I went through 8 motor homes in the last 40 years and stopped buying from Camping World over 15 years ago.

Anything Camping World has to sell can be purchased at a store with better trained mechanic's, such as truck repair facilities.

And costco sells Michelin tires.

As far as I am concerned an RV store are great for selling gimmick's and jim crack's,

I am doing the tire search right now also and I am also going to stay away from Camping World. I asked about dates on the tires and they said that what ever show up from the warehouse is what you get. They will not even call to check the dates. I am currently working with another tire dealer and he is going to find out the dates on the tire before they are shipped from his warehouse. I will update what I find out. My tires have 32000 miles but are now 7 years old. Just want to replace for safety reasons. I do not have any cracks in the side walls but still want to have the piece of mind. I do store my coach inside all winter and I think that that helps.

PSI

Most coach owners don't check the "PSI" in there tires daily. In fact many owners don't do a walk around before starting their trip.

New (old) Tires very good question. Cheap is cheap as cheap is cheap, you get just what you pay for. Just because the sign outside the store says "Goodyear" or "Camping World" dosen't mean your buying the best tire. All tires start to dry rot from the day they are made. For the most part Goodyear, Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone and Toyo tires are good tires but, that is if you take care of them. Back a few years ago I was in the trucking business and I have bought hundreds of tires over those years. One of the first things we told our drivers is "Check those tires before you start your trip". It doesn't matter to much the brand name of your tire you can have a blow-out any time. However, if you check your tires every day the chances of having a blow-out or a flat tire becomes less. One should always remember that piece of 'Rubber" you are riding on is the only safety you have for a good trip or a deadly trip. If you have a 'Blow-out' on the front at 65mph you will lose control and you may kill someone and the tire dealer will not care. Have a good day.

PSI

Cal206

bfi172@gmail.com

Yes cal206 you are sure right about that; I lived in the Pacific NW, we had Les Schwab tires who dealt with mostly Farm Equipment, construction, and logging trucks, tires as well as auto tires and sold many brands. Where most of the time I bought my Motor home., truck and car tires. It was all about service, and warranty that was excellent, triple A, from superior trained personnel, free rotation, balance, air check any time. Just pull in and the service people came running out to service your rig.[ I guess that was the good old days like the 70's 80's ].

Thats the good part, now the bad part was Les Schwab home office was Prineville ,Or and only in about 4 States. . If you had a tire that was damaged , what they called road hazard guarantee, that tire if it went bad in Arizona , on your way to Florida you had to haul it round trip with you all winter and back to Washington or the closest Les Schwab Tire Store. Never happened to me, but I never bought just one tire or a set for the steering axle, because rotation kept even wear and I always bought a complete set including the tag axle. I have known Motor Home owners years ago who bought one tire at a time as they wore out or blew out, all brands have different profiles which means they differ in height ,width and tread , also early tire failure to the tire it is mated next to. It was not unusual to see three different brand names on some motor home's. Now it seems Discount Tires is pretty much nationwide for cars, but i don't know if they sell truck tires. Costco used to sell Michelin Motor Home tires but were not able to mount them.

I recently purchased two new steer tires in March 2010 with date codes of 4209. I specified, prior to purchase, that I did not want any tires more than six months old. The installer knew what I was referencing and contacted me when the tires arrived.

Just last month I too got 6 "new" tires from Camping World in Kississimmee, Fl......and told the service manager I wanted nothing older than 6 months, Goodyear or Michelien......he checked and could not get me a guarantee on the age....claimed to have called the factory and in both cases they said the new ones go to the manufacturers and they have such a back log with the industry being what it is, you basically get what they send.....I ended up with two within three months and the other 4 within 9 months.....feel pretty good, as I did call around the Orlando area and the prices were pretty much the same and the story on age was the same too....also told the warranty starts with date of purchase.......so heres hoping.......

I am new to RVing, bought a '99 34V Bounder last summer. Put new tires on it last fall, and got BF Goodrich tires about 6 months old, was aware of asking dates from reading a number of on-line sources. BUT, to add to other thoughts on tires, I could have had tragic results last month. We had an early thaw here in northern Minnesota and in backing my RV out of a new driveway I got stuck and to back out did a lot of jacking with ther leveling jacks to get planks under the tires. Was still having problems and a guy came by with a 4x4 pickup and being on blacktop was able to pull me out. My problem came in not crawling under the Rv - there was a 18 x 18 cement block buryed to protect a sewer cleanout. After reaching Oklahoma City and for a couple hundred miles I thought the roads were just rough, jacked up front end thinking maybe I had a wheel or bearing problem I found both front tires totally bald on the inside (I believe when the front end sunk I hit that concrete block and bent the tie-rod). Some would say I was lucky, I believe I was blessed and God protected my stupidity. It cost me about $1,000 for 2 front tires (left one had steel cords showing) and front end alignment, but all I can think about is the 100# of air pressure and what could have happened if 1 or both of those tires blew. Sometimes we need more than just a walk around. If in doubt crawl underneath your rig.

At Escapee's Boot Camp (which I highly recommend) in Gila Bend in February, we attended a nearly 3 hour course on tires and tire safety. My coach tires were 9 years old. I immediately drove to Tucson and shopped for tires. The best price for my tires, 19.5", was Michelin at Costco. They had to order. I discussed the date they were manufactured when I ordered and Costco said they had no control over the date of the tires when the distributor shipped, but if I was not satisfied I did not have to accept. They were all within 6 months and I was satisfied.

post-9456-1273206102_thumb.jpg

I just bought two steer tires from Goodyear and the truck tire dealer here in Tyler, TX was excellent and very helpful. I visited and inquired about the price one afternoon and we discussed the age issue. I had read all their website had on it and he explained that all the tires have lived in a controlled dark environment in warehouses up to this point and that Goodyear warrantees the tires per when installed. The four tires he had in stock in my size were dated late in 2008 and I agreed to purchase two for my front tires. I scheduled a day to bring the coach in and when I arrived he took me back to pick out the tires. He had received two new tires and left them on top for me. These were dated 0810 and he sold me these instead of rotating his stock. He very emphatically stressed covering your tires as much as possible because the problem with tire degradation is in exposure to light.

So I recommend finding a good tire dealer and spend a little time talking to him about your concerns. This sales manager checked over my older rear tires, bought back the tires I was replacing, figured out what pressure all my tires should be running at, gave me a good price, made sure his best tire guy worked on my aluminum wheels, and took care of my mail in rebate. Two different tire service reps have told me the age is not as big a concern as the tire pressure and the care you take of them. Oh yeah and cover them up when not driving! Did I mention that.

rhreasley, if your new tires were dated 0810 somethings wrong...that date is not here yet....??????...Dennis

Dennis,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum-- glad to see you over here.

0810 is the eighth week of 2010. Central time zone, that has been and past.

If there is a delay on the left coast, let me know and we can do some serious stock trading together.

Brett

My tires were original equipment on my 2003 Coach, and I asked Les Schwab in Oakridge, Oregon, to bid on new ones - he beat all prices I had been given the past three months, and stated they would be near new. I think they were still warm from the mold - I do know they stunk like raw rubber for months. They were about six weeks old.

Besides they sold my old tires for me and gave me a check for $300.

Interesting topic since I was just online prior to this checking out prices of tires for a pending purchase. My current tires Michelins are almost 8 years old with 60K on them. Tread still good but side walls showing some deterioration. If I were a short trip week-ender I'd keep rolling on them, but I do lotsa highway speed miles.

The other posts in this thread gives me an idea when I go visit dealers. I don't intend to have this rig for another 8 years so putting newly constructed tires on the rig isn't much of an issue. That said, I will expect a nice discount on an older tire (within reason) if the dealer wants to rotate his stock at my expense.

We are in the process of buying 6 new tires after experiencing a blow out on 10 year old tires. All six of our tires have plenty of tread depth left, even after 40,000 miles, and are not checked or cracked. The right front tire let go with a bang at 55 mph. A golf ball sized hole blew in the inside sidewall and fortunately the tread did not separate to damage the coach. I had no trouble bringing the coach (35 foot Aerbus) to a safe halt, pulling off onto the right shoulder of I-90. It could have happened in a lot worse places. I'm buying 6 new Goodyears and had not considered that the new tires might have been manufactured a year or two ago. However, it is my opinion that a tire doesn't age significantly until it is under pressure and load so I am not concerned about that. Since Goodyear says their warranty begins when the tires is installed they must agree with that. Afterall they have the expertise and the engineering to know the intimate details of how a tire ages and they build tires knowing that peoples lives are riding on them. It is how we, the consumers, treat the tires that makes the biggest difference in how long they last. Anyone who doesn't keep the receipt for a major purchase such as this is nuts. There, that's my two bits worth. :rolleyes:

post-1472-1279212478_thumb.jpg