leaveittobeaver

1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton

I have a 1996 Beaver that has a "Silverleaf" computer monitoring system. Recently while going through WV I hit a dip in the road (at about 50mph) and within 30 miles I was sitting at the side of the road disabled. Now the dip may or may not have anything to do with it. I was towed to a truck repair and final diagnosis was power to the ecm and a new line was installed as they could not find the break or bad wire. So I am looking for a response preferably from Beaver owners with a "Silverleaf" monitor for the following question. The "Silverleaf" gives continuous readouts on various items but the one of concern is Voltage. After I left the truck repair and was continuing on my way I noticed my voltage readouts fluctuating from anywhere between 11.1 to 14.1 and in fact through one cycle I might see 12.7, 13.8, 11.1 then next cycle might be 12.4, 12.7, 12.4 and next cycle 13.8, 14. I have no recollection of this happening earlier in the trip or on previous trips. Another factor to note is that 13 months ago the alternator was replaced. At that time I found out that the Allison transmission won't shift if battery is not supplying sufficient voltage. (last year voltage was charging as low as 8.9V before new alternator). So my question for "Silverleaf" Beaver owners. Is this normal? Does your voltage readout fluctuate like this or do I have a problem? I might add that there is also an analog gauge on the dash for voltage and that appeared to read steady at a little over 13 volts and would not fluctuate unless I turned lights on and then it would drop to a little over 12. Thanks for your thoughts.

21 minutes ago, leaveittobeaver said:

I have a 1996 Beaver that has a "Silverleaf" computer monitoring system. Recently while going through WV I hit a dip in the road (at about 50mph) and within 30 miles I was sitting at the side of the road disabled. Now the dip may or may not have anything to do with it. I was towed to a truck repair and final diagnosis was power to the ecm and a new line was installed as they could not find the break or bad wire. So I am looking for a response preferably from Beaver owners with a "Silverleaf" monitor for the following question. The "Silverleaf" gives continuous readouts on various items but the one of concern is Voltage. After I left the truck repair and was continuing on my way I noticed my voltage readouts fluctuating from anywhere between 11.1 to 14.1 and in fact through one cycle I might see 12.7, 13.8, 11.1 then next cycle might be 12.4, 12.7, 12.4 and next cycle 13.8, 14. I have no recollection of this happening earlier in the trip or on previous trips. Another factor to note is that 13 months ago the alternator was replaced. At that time I found out that the Allison transmission won't shift if battery is not supplying sufficient voltage. (last year voltage was charging as low as 8.9V before new alternator). So my question for "Silverleaf" Beaver owners. Is this normal? Does your voltage readout fluctuate like this or do I have a problem? I might add that there is also an analog gauge on the dash for voltage and that appeared to read steady at a little over 13 volts and would not fluctuate unless I turned lights on and then it would drop to a little over 12. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have use Silver Leaf for years and the voltage readout on the screen do very depending on the load placed on the alternator, the headlights will cause .5 to .75 volt drop in the reading and that has been the case for years. The Beaver wiring regarding the alternator is very close to all the wiring used in the industry. 

Over the years I have lost the regulators in 3 or more alternators and the reason was heat and the size of alternator installed originally. Went up to a 175 amp alternator with a voltage level sensor circuit built into the alternator. When an alternator is failing the voltage levels very over a wider range then you posted and at varying intervals time wise.  When you get the readings over time is it happen when rough road surfaces are being driven on?

The numbers you offered tend to indicate  a alternator failure or failing one, the only thing is it was fine until the sharp dip was encountered. That fact could lead to a compromised ground lead somewhere in the alternator circuit between it and the batteries or even a positive voltage connection. 

Rich.

I would make sure that all 12 volt high amperage connections are cleaned and properly installed including all ground to chassis connections, this also includes cleaning all battery connections. This exercise can't hurt anything and may actually cure some or all of the ailments.

Thanks for the input DickandLois. Once home I started to troubleshoot. Just idling at home and stationary the "Silverleaf" gives 2 to 3 readings per cycle (going through mileage, ft lbs, rolling mileage etc and of course voltage). So in one short cycle it might be 13.8/13.6 next cycle 12.7/13.8/11.1 next cycle 13.8/14. After each one of these cycles I went to the battery and put my multi meter on and read voltage at the terminal as 14.1, 14.09 and 14. So it would seem that the alternator is giving a stable charge to the battery even though the the "Silverleaf " indicates a variation. The alternator was replaced June 25 2018 so I wouldn't expect it to be defective after a short service period but I have been told by the mechanics that they can be bad right out of the box. 

You asked about rough road surfaces and the last 350 miles, which was the distance home, after leaving the truck repair center varied from rough interstate to excellent smooth interstate with the cycles of the "Silverleaf" functioning no differently than the stationary test mentioned above with the exception that I was running my generator to power the AC.

I have  uploaded a video of a couple of cycles of the "Silverleaf" with engine idling in the driveway. To show the Voltage fluctuation.