keithl

Inverter or campground problem???

Another newbie question I have been in a campground for week 30 amp plug is all they have I have a Damon essence diesel  mh .. the last 2 days were hot ac runs a lot 2 other mh moved in now ac just cycles on and off unless I run generator then I can run ac.. host said in conference that they had problems before when it’s hot and everyone is running ac but there are only 3 of us in a 14 stall park is it possible I have some other type problem I have little knowledge of the inverter operation I do have a surge plug on my cord it’s been reading eo and rest of numbers seem normal inverter when operating on electric says about 19 on generator it says 28 I try running very little when possible any help is much appreciated I’m learning it’s our first year with a mh always had fifth wheel before 

keith 

Normally the air conditioner is not connected to a 120VAC circuit from the inverter, it places far too high a load on the batteries. I would turn the inverter function off while on shore power, leave charger function operating.

Have you measured the 30A  power at the CG pedestal yet? Safe voltage levels are: low acceptable voltage = 108VAC, high acceptable limit is 132VAC (120VAC  + or- 10%). Any measured voltage outside those industry-standard limits will slowly ruin an electric motor/ air conditioning compressor motor.

Your description sounds like the CG has low voltage, I would test it ASAP, until then I would run the genset to stay cool.

I will check in morning I believe when I hooked it up it said 112 but will confirm it is the inverter switch normally on the unit or somewhere else but as I understand whenever plugged in turn it off 

thanks Keith 

What would have changed the digital gauge shows 25 on when usually 18 running off of electric I think I have just about everything else off now 

A 30 amp plug will give you 27 amp usable.  Is your coach all electric?  Residential fridge or Norcold?  How many batteries do you have and are they AGM or Acid?  

The amperage shown on your surge protector is indicating how much current your rig is drawing from the pedestal, not how much current is available.

The voltage shown is indicating the voltage at the pedestal.

It is possible to have a low voltage situation with only 3 sites in use if the campground's system is not properly installed or not properly sized to handle the load being put on it. Remember that amperage and voltage will play off each other, so if the amperage being pulled goes up, the voltage goes down. Quite possibly the transformer and/or supply lines to the campground are not adequately sized.

One suggestion is to be sure that nothing else on your rig is drawing considerable current while you're trying to run the a/c. Things like your inverter/charger can pull considerable current (even if you are not using the inverter outlets - the charger side can pull quite a bit on its own.)

Norcold fridge and I have 4  6 volt batteries not understanding the inverter and charger and how it operates is probably part of my problem but I didn’t have any problem with ac till it got to be 3 rigs here the batteries are 2 months old and I did look to make sure they were full at this time it says float charging and will change to read something else off and on through the day 

keith 

The air ran this morning in 10 minutes it changed to a full charge in about another  10 minutes running it reached level shut down 2 minutes later kicked in and shutdown immediately all lights went out it then said inverting 4 minutes later lights came on went 18 nothing running then to bulk charging two minutes down to 12 then says absorb charging then slowly going down in numbers steady at 9 now usually sits at 5 like I was saying I never could grasp the understanding of these units and I don’t want to hurt anything I appreciate all the help possible. 

Keith

If I understand what you are saying correctly,

To me that indicates you are experiencing shore power low voltage, this causes the energy management system to shut off shore power, causing the inverter to activate to supply alternating current/120VAC to the designated outlets in your MH; air conditioners are not wired to the inverter, so it will shut off and not re-start until shore power-within those parameters is restored. When it came back on it said 18A available?? If that is true, there is a definite electrical problem at the CG.

Is there a way to hook up your shore power to a different CG pedestal temporarily? I say this because it is possible to have adequate voltage UNTIL a load is turned on, then voltage drops to an unsafe level.

Ray I think your right I talked to a few others this morning all but one said they seemed to not have the normal amount to there’s one didn’t notice anything abnormal I guess I still need to learn what’s happening otherwise through the cycles so I know what to expect 

If I understand correctly, this must be an older CG with only 30 AMP service, in other words there is no 50 AMP available in the entire park. If this is correct then there could be a problem with the entire CG, and it sounds as though it is. If nothing else available in this CG other than 30 amp, I would probably look for another CG nearby, as mentioned above it sounds as though the CG is inadequately wired and most likely underpowered throughout. If AC is a must, I would use my generator as much as possible until a move can be made.

I did make the move I have 50 now so far so good knock on wood..  it was disappointing to have to move but I did I will have to commute for few days.. I wish I knew more about this lifestyle I am registered for minot basic seminar coach may have more gremlins I’m not aware of

keith 

My coach is equipped with a load management and with 30 amps will shut off a A/C as needed.  If A/Cs are running and you use the microwave , instead of turning off the microwave it will turn off one A/C until you're done with the microwave. You can't run everything with limited amount of amps.  You said that when you run the generator the problem goes away.  There you go.