meleconn

tire covers

You can find white covers at any RV supply store and at lots of dealers....and some Wal Marts.  IMHO, the neatest covers are made by Magne Shade.  They are black Sunbrella, shaped like the tire (hole in the middle), cover the whole tire and held on by bungee cords.  I had five of their window covers on a previous coach and have six tire covers for this one.  Top quality products.

www.magneshade.com

I also use MagneShade tire covers.  When folded for storage, they take up much less room than the typical tire covers.  Interestingly enough, when installed its hard to tell the tires are covered. 

MagneShade made these covers for me. I like the twist latch’s, not snaps  $320  I had a 3-1/2” open hem in the bottom  I cut 1” pvc pipe, capped one end, filled with sand and capped the other end  

FED32FAB-5156-4401-A030-F78BC1FB4109.jpeg

D8913920-2090-47ED-B907-AB42A63BD189.jpeg

I think it was Tireman9 who did a study of tire covers, it should be reported on his website. I thought it remarkable his study found black tire covers were better than white.

39 minutes ago, RayIN said:

I think it was Tireman9 who did a study of tire covers, it should be reported on his website. I thought it remarkable his study found black tire covers were better than white.

Black blocks ultra violet better than white.

We had fitted black ones made in SW Florida when we initially purchased our RV.  The company rvwindshieldcovers.com used a sunshade breathable material.  They make other stuff but the custom tire covers are top notch and still look brand new.  Their phone is 863/660-9225.

To clarify my findings.

For covers that fit right over a tire that are a solid material like vinyl;  White would be preferred as we are primarily concerned with keeping the heat down as increased temperature can "bake" the life out of a tire structure. I understand that people have been talking about UV protection for years but other than ugly surface cracking, I don't recall seeing an actual tire disablement (coming apart) because of UV but have seen numerous tire belt separations and failures due to excess heat.

However, if you are hanging a shield off the side of the RV as seen in the pictures above then even a black mesh is OK as this type of shield allows good air circulation between the mesh shade and the tire.

I base my recommendations on Science and data. I measured temperature and posted the numbers on my blog.   For the flat "shields"  I collected data while at REDMOND, OR  from a number of Class-A RV with that type of shield.   Not sure if I would claim black is "better" than white as we are talking about two different types of shields.  At Indianapolis, IN  I did a test on "Shade-Pro" brand mesh shields and found they delivered equivalent heat protection.