ianbullock

New FMCA App

I read the announcement from Jon Walker yesterday about the new FMCA App. Much to my disappointment I soon learned that it wasn't available to the Canadian members. I mean, seriously? With all the talk about becoming a member driven organisation, how does alienating the entire Canadian membership base help? 

Has anyone installed and logged into the app yet?

I have it installed, but it appears that you have to register with the app developer's site before using it. Not sure why this is the case - just one more place for our information to be out there. I have no idea who this app developer is or what their history is.

Curious why the app  doesn't let us log in directly using our FMCA credentials.

Anyone from leadership able to explain?

I downloaded it and did the registration thing, but I am not very impressed with it so far. Seems to be graphically overloaded just like the last app FMCA was pushing and difficult to find your way around. I will play with it for a few days and probably delete it. Unfortunately my info is now with some app maker to sell to others.

I just got off the phone with Jon Walker. He was apologetic and explained that having outsourced it to a 3rd party provider (as most development is these days), they didn't realise that the launch didn't including Canada. In fact until they got my email, they didn't know. He went on to say that he understands that the Canadian version would be out later this fall.  He also said that if he had known this would not have happened. 

Sounds to me that he took my comments in the spirit intended and I appreciated him calling. 

Did anybody know? I would have thought the contract would have been pretty specific on those sort of items.

I won't be using it because the developer wants info that is quite frankly none of their business.

I downloaded the app and registered it. My problem is that the maintenance items I am installating do not stay there meaning I put in for instance battery maintenance and when I click save it places me back where I started without saving the item.  Another problem is that there is no on-line version for use with a PC or MAC that will sync with the mobile app. It would be so much easier to itemize our maintenance lists via a full size keyboard and have it sync to the mobile app. (if this exists, I haven't found it).

As for the developer needing information, that's nothing new. I would wager that  hundreds/thousands of us are on a database somewhere. For me that isn't a big deal.   

Screen Shot of the Apps opening page

deal.  Screenshot_20190821-171732_FMCA.thumb.jpg.d426bf68a2dd69ea38220a6ae22c67de.jpg