Has anyone tried ecofins or airtabs on their motor home?  These have been around for a while, and are supposed to help re-direct the airflow at the back of the motor home and vacuum created.  They supposedly help in cross winds and reduce fuel usage by a small amount.

I have not, but I can tell you that the vacuum behind a diesel may not exist for many.  I have a Phaeton 40' diesel pusher with an aft radiator.  I installed a Cruiser Lift for my Harley and thought I could put a regular cover on the bike when on the road since it is tucked up tight against the back of the coach.  No such luck.  As shown in my rear camera, the cover flapped in the wind so hard it tore apart.  My only explanation is that the cooling air from the radiator exits there and fills the vacuum.  So I had to spend $500 on a custom stretch cover for the bike to help keep it clean and not fly apart.

Whether they actually work or not, do you think  you'll ever realize enough fuel savings in your lifetime to pay for them? The HDT''s that do have them are driven almost 1 million miles a year. When you drive that many miles, even .01 MPG adds up to savings.

Ray beat me to it.  Even if you were putting on 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year on your Class A, it would still probably be a few years before you could break even.  

Aerodynamics on over the road trucks work in conjunction with many items. All of them together can save on fuel but the payout is small. 

The best bang for the money is a properly spec’d truck with hp/torque ratios and gearing. I can tell you from experience these are not programmed for MPG and with only 6 forward gears there is only so much you can do.

Lastly the biggest fuel saver is the one behind the steering wheel.

I think there are different driving techniques for getting good fuel mileage out of gas and diesel.  I'm good at squeezing a lot of mileage out of a gas engine, but, new to diesels, I'm disappointed in the fuel consumption I'm getting and I'm driving moderately. 

How fast are you driving? What milage are you getting?

Lots of good information. https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/RV_Tires_Brochure.pdf

They had a artical about driving for economy but I coulden't find it. Have fun looking.

Some non bearing information I never knew before.   Dynamometer type damage occurs in the crown area of tires when operated on dynamometers for extended periods of time. Something new to worry about.:rolleyes:

It would be nice if you put your RV in your signature.

Bill

On 8/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, DWhitesell said:

Has anyone tried ecofins or airtabs on their motor home?  These have been around for a while, and are supposed to help re-direct the airflow at the back of the motor home and vacuum created.  They supposedly help in cross winds and reduce fuel usage by a small amount.

I think this is something that sounds good but doesn't work out in the long run. If it did all the trucks would be using them. They get excited in 0.1 mpg increases. I have seen maybe 5 RVs and verrey few trucks and they have been out for years.

Bill