I am considering purchasing a Lincoln MKX to tow four-wheels down behind my coach. Has anyone out there had experience towing this vehicle?

Can only state that per the 2010 Motor Home tow guide that, the MKX & MKX AWD are towable to a top speed of 65 mph, but,as per guide, should be started for 5 minutes at each fuel stop. The guide also states the same for our 2009 Escape but as per our owners manual, no mention is made to either the speed limitation and or the required 5 minute run time at each fill up. The dealer should be able to answer this question, but I would want to see it in writing as provided by Ford Motor Co.

Hi BKatMarks,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Before making a purchase, look in the vehicle's owner's manual. This is the only place, where towing instruction/limitations are stated, in writing. The owner's manual should also state the process to successfully tow.

Guest Wayne77590

From the 2010 MKX Owners Guide:

Quote:

Front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles:

Tow your FWD vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with the

front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are using a tow

dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider.

All-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles:

Tow your AWD vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with all four

wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your

AWD vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow

dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground; this will cause damage

to your AWD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow

the instruction specified by the equipment provider.

Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow

these instructions:

• Tow only in the forward direction.

• Release the parking brake.

• Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).

• Place the ignition in the accessory position (refer to Starting in the Driving chapter).

• Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h)

• Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning

of each day and at each fuel stop.

UNQUOTE

I recently purchased a 2011 Lincoln MKX with the idea of towing it behind our motorhome. The owners manual describes what must be done for RV towing but the description is obviously for a vehicle with a key. There is a description in the owners manual of how to remove a panel in the usb compartment to put the vehicle in neutral without starting it however it again does not apply to a vehicle with the push button start. If you remove the access panel described you can take a small mirror and look back toward the shift assembly under the center console. Put your foot on the brake and push the button to start the vehicle while watching in the mirror. You will see a little plastic plunger pop out that unlocks the shift lever. After you find where this is at you can pull the plastic plunger out with your finger with the car off and shift the lever into neutral without turning anything on. The steering wheel does not lock on the push button start MKX so no need to worry about that. This may apply to other Ford vehicles like the Edge.

WE just purchased a 2011 MKX and we did not see anything in the manual about pulling anything out of the usb compartment. The book and the salesman and the service guy said just put the airconditioner in recirculation and put in neutral. We do have to start it up at every fuel stop so hope we remember that. I was really looking for info on a tow guard to protect the vehicle when towing. Have you used any of the protectors available?

I have a 2011 Lincoln MKX that I am setting up to tow, does anyone know if Ford makes a direct plug in for the front wiring harness that alllows the towing harness to be plugged in. If not, I assume that I will have to cut the harness and install diodes and an aftermarket wiring kit.