Sign in to follow this  
elizabethmeyer

Fix for furnace blowing out while driving

This may be an easy fix for anyone who wants to use their furnace on the road but can't because it keeps blowing out. My horizontally mounted rear furnace intake/exhaust kept doing that while my vertically mounted mid-cabin furnace intake/exhaust worked perfectly. After thinking about it for a while I decided to try introducing something that would divert/obstruct/change the air flow over the rear furnace intake/exhaust. Lo and behold it worked. I tested it at 65 mph multiple times and it hasn't failed yet.

The 'device' is just a 2" pvc coupling that I first cut in half lengthwise then cut it in half again widthwise. Painted it silver and attached with clear silicone to the rear side of the intake opening so it could divert/obstruct/change the airflow over the intake/exhaust. I have no idea about the exact dynamics and whether it would have worked just as well mounted on the exhaust but it worked. Now I'm looking forward to a warmer coach on the road. 

Here are a few pictures. And yes I know even Suburban (spoke with them) recommends not using the furnace while traveling but many of us ignore that advice.

Should think of a fancy name for it like the "Dynamic Aero Turbulator" and sell em.😄

Mark

20190802_110220.jpg

20190802_110229.jpg

20190802_170748.jpg

20190802_110319.jpg

That plate is really odd and out of place IMO. I've viewed perhaps hundreds of RV furnace outlet/inlet grills, that's a first for me.