navigator1

1996 HR Navigator - HELP

22 minutes ago, navigator1 said:

There is a rubber flap that I believe it's supposed to keep the dirt out but it rubs a bit on the air bags and it has wore a groove on both of them

Have you looked at trimming the flap back a little? May do the same to the new bags.

Bill

On 1/21/2022 at 7:34 PM, wildebill308 said:

Have you looked at trimming the flap back a little? May do the same to the new bags.

Bill

Yeah, I'm planning on doing that when I replace them.

But quick question for you, do you know if Mobil Delvac 1300 super heavy duty synthetic blend diesel engine oil 15w-40 is a good oil to use in the c8.3 Cummins engine? 

I don't see a problem. The key is does it meets or exceeds the requirements of API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 and CH-4 service categories and it  does. 

I hope you don't have a problem finding oil where you are. One more thing that sesames to be in short supply. I have been looking for Shell Rotella T-6 and everyone is out of stock.

Bill

2 hours ago, wildebill308 said:
2 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I don't see a problem. The key is does it meets or exceeds the requirements of API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 and CH-4 service categories and it  does. 

I hope you don't have a problem finding oil where you are. One more thing that sesames to be in short supply. I have been looking for Shell Rotella T-6 and everyone is out of stock.

Bill

Yeah, I was looking for T-6 myself but nobody has it. Found the Mobil Delvac for $13.18 a gallon @ Walmart online, so I just ordered 6 gallons of it and it should be here by Fri 28th.

If you find T-6 I need 16 gallons!  Only drawback with a ISX600...

Herman, that's more than I want to pay!!!!  Wonder what Cummins bulk is?

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Tractor Supply online Rotella T-6 $57.99.

Herman

We have a couple threads talking about oil. 

If I have to I will go with Mobil Delvac Extreme Heavy Duty Full Synthetic. It is comparable to the T-6 and in stock at $19.47 gal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-Delvac-Extreme-Heavy-Duty-Full-Synthetic-Diesel-Engine-Oil-15W-40-1-Gal/319665447

If you find T-6 I need 16 gallons!  Only drawback with a ISX600..

Carl that is a lot of oil.😁 I would recommend the Mobil Delvac to you to if you don't find the T-6 at a descent price.

Edited by wildebill308

When I first bought the Navigator, I had a full service done on her after a few fuel issues. I went to a local place about 10 min from my house to support their local business, but after seeing the Invoice, I could not believe how much they charge me for everything and how expensive it was. And don't get me wrong here, I knew that it wasn't going to be cheap but I was charged $127.00 for a Wix oil filter that I found online for less than $25.00, for the oil I was charged $9.49 per Qt of regular 15w40 and so on. After that I told myself that I will do everything that I could physically do to keep her up to date on maintenance and repairs or any other issues within my knowledge, and support my own pocket as much as posible while doing it. 

So for this one, she will be going from regular 15w40 to the Mobil Delvac 1300 super heavy duty synthetic blend and hopefully for the next one she will be getting the full synthetic T-6, and I am really glad that it is only 6 and not 16. I'm also planning on doing the antifreeze and transmission fluids and filters. Any special recommendations for those? I have the C8.3 with the MD3060.

8 hours ago, navigator1 said:

I have the C8.3 with the MD3060.

You might be interested in this site. 

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

And this one.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/my-transmission

Allison has recently come out wit a improved fluid over the older TES 295 it is TES 668 you can read about it on the site I linked to.  The Cummins site is the same one the dealer looks at to get information about your engine.

Bill

On 1/24/2022 at 7:59 AM, wildebill308 said:

You might be interested in this site. 

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

And this one.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/my-transmission

Allison has recently come out wit a improved fluid over the older TES 295 it is TES 668 you can read about it on the site I linked to.  The Cummins site is the same one the dealer looks at to get information about your engine.

Bill

👍

On 1/24/2022 at 7:59 AM, wildebill308 said:

Allison has recently come out wit a improved fluid over the older TES 295 it is TES 668

Ordered 5 gals of the Castrol TranSynd 668 and got it delivered today, I also ordered the two filters which were delivered last week so hopefully next week I will be able to service the 3060 and that will be another check mark off my list.👍

13 hours ago, navigator1 said:

Ordered 5 gals of the Castrol TranSynd 668 and got it delivered today, I also ordered the two filters which were delivered last week so hopefully next week I will be able to service the 3060 and that will be another check mark off my list.👍

Find out what the torque is for the bolts on the filter covers. I don't remember/ it may be different on your 3060. But what I do remember was it was  a extremely hi number for going into a aluminum casting. You must use a good torque wrench or you can strip the the  threads.

Bill

8 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Find out what the torque is for the bolts on the filter covers. I don't remember/ it may be different on your 3060. But what I do remember was it was  a extremely hi number for going into a aluminum casting. You must use a good torque wrench or you can strip the the  threads.

Bill

Mine calls for 18 to 24 lb. ft. of torque.🔧

8 hours ago, navigator1 said:

Mine calls for 18 to 24 lb. ft. of torque.🔧

Sounds about right. Just be very careful they strip out easily. Most have the torque specs stamped next to the filter access 

On 2/3/2022 at 8:39 PM, navigator1 said:

Have you had the present trans fluid tested?  If it tests good, a change is not required.

6 hours ago, jleamont said:

Sounds about right. Just be very careful they strip out easily. Most have the torque specs stamped next to the filter access 

I will check it out once I'm under there, right now I'm just going by what's in the manual.

Document_2022-02-05_115831.thumb.jpg.1e23c70bc9fb93e59c3c53df3292e780.jpg

4 hours ago, five said:

Have you had the present trans fluid tested?  If it tests good, a change is not required.

No I have not, and I'm not sure how to do that yet but it's just that it has been two years since last change and I wanted to upgrade to TES 668.

54 minutes ago, navigator1 said:

No I have not, and I'm not sure how to do that yet but it's just that it has been two years since last change and I wanted to upgrade to TES 668.

That would be a good enough reason for me. When you want to learn the correct way to pull a sample let me know. I can teach you.  Just so you know catching a sample when you are draining your oil is not the best way to get an accurate sample. 

Bill

18 hours ago, navigator1 said:

I use JG Lubricant Services in Houston.  The owner, Tom Johnson, is a retired Allison engineer.  With your initial purchase, you order a pump and instructions as to how to take a sample.  It's very simple, warm the trans fluid, attach a small container and a nine foot hose (both provided) to the pump, put the hose into the trans fluid and the pump draws the fluid into the container.  Put the container in a shipment bag (provided) and mail to the lab.  I've been doing this for two motor homes 11 years....you will get a very detailed explanation of your fluid, and a bottom line recommendation as to it's status.  If you have questions, call the lab.  Often as not, Tom will answer the phone.  Based on JG Lab's recommendations, I have not changed the fluid in either MH....also, for a MH, there is no real value in changing to TES 668.  They made it so it can be used in a wider selection  of transmissions.

https://jglubricantservices.com/

877-971-7799

Back in 2016 I did a comparison between the 2 most commonly used labs. I pulled 2 samples on the engine and 2 from the transmission and sent them in.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/9212-which-oil-lab-jg-or-blackstone/

The reports came back close enough that I would use either lab and have confidence in the results. 

The big difference is JG makes you pay for the sample when you order the sample kit. Blackstone will send you kits free and you pay when you send in a sample and they run it.

Navigator, I would order the pump from JG as  it is a little cheaper and order some sample kits from Blackstone. I am now using Blackstone

Five, Here is a better way. Rather than using the whole hose, use the dipstick as a guide on how long the hose needs to be. Remember you want to take the sample from the center of the oil.  You never want to run the hose in and have it hit the bottom of the pan. This can give you an contaminated/erroneous sample. second thing, the plastic tubing is a one use item. Never use the same tubing to do the engine and transmission you will get false readings. Don't use the tubing the next time you pull a engine sample as it may contaminate the results. You can get tubing at most hardware stores. 

Just so you know in a former life I did run a oil analysis lab and have had some formal schooling/training on this. Any questions just ask.

Bill

15 hours ago, five said:

I use JG Lubricant Services in Houston.  The owner, Tom Johnson, is a retired Allison engineer.  With your initial purchase, you order a pump and instructions as to how to take a sample.  It's very simple, warm the trans fluid, attach a small container and a nine foot hose (both provided) to the pump, put the hose into the trans fluid and the pump draws the fluid into the container.  Put the container in a shipment bag (provided) and mail to the lab.  I've been doing this for two motor homes 11 years....you will get a very detailed explanation of your fluid, and a bottom line recommendation as to it's status.  If you have questions, call the lab.  Often as not, Tom will answer the phone.  Based on JG Lab's recommendations, I have not changed the fluid in either MH....also, for a MH, there is no real value in changing to TES 668.  They made it so it can be used in a wider selection  of transmissions.

https://jglubricantservices.com/

877-971-7799

14 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Back in 2016 I did a comparison between the 2 most commonly used labs. I pulled 2 samples on the engine and 2 from the transmission and sent them in.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/9212-which-oil-lab-jg-or-blackstone/

The reports came back close enough that I would use either lab and have confidence in the results. 

The big difference is JG makes you pay for the sample when you order the sample kit. Blackstone will send you kits free and you pay when you send in a sample and they run it.

Navigator, I would order the pump from JG as  it is a little cheaper and order some sample kits from Blackstone. I am now using Blackstone

Five, Here is a better way. Rather than using the whole hose, use the dipstick as a guide on how long the hose needs to be. Remember you want to take the sample from the center of the oil.  You never want to run the hose in and have it hit the bottom of the pan. This can give you an contaminated/erroneous sample. second thing, the plastic tubing is a one use item. Never use the same tubing to do the engine and transmission you will get false readings. Don't use the tubing the next time you pull a engine sample as it may contaminate the results. You can get tubing at most hardware stores. 

Just so you know in a former life I did run a oil analysis lab and have had some formal schooling/training on this. Any questions just ask.

Bill

Hi you guys, Bill and Five, first of all I will like to express, to you two and to everybody else that offer advise, my most sincere and humble thank you. Thank you for all the information and support that you guys are always so willing to offer to everybody and anybody that is looking for or in desperate need of assistance for. I am one of those persons and having people like you here, willing and ready to help is what gives me inspiration and a feeling of relaxation even when I might be frustrated and lost and not knowing what the heck I'm doing or what to do next. The thing is that it is not that difficult once you get a little bit of understanding of what's happening, and there is where you guys shine. I'm still a baby in diapers when it comes to most of the RV world thing, but I'm a very fast learner and I'm also one of those guys that can do a little bit of everything once you get the idea. A few weeks ago I took my Navigator to get new tires and after watching the guy replacing the old ones with the new tires, I'm ready to do them myself, thank God that I should not have to do that but it wasn't that difficult and if I ever need to do it, I know that I can. So my point is, once you get some understanding of what's needed to accomplish the mission and somebody points you in the right direction, if you are willing, you can keep going and complete that mission. 

As of right now I have ordered and received the oils and filters to do both the engine and transmission, so I will be doing that within the next few weeks at the most. I will look into the oil samples and most likely will order them and the coolant one also so I can have a base number as a reference for me to go by from now on too. 

But once again, thank you for the support and for the inspiration that you guys provide.

Very Respectfully,

Navigator1 (Jorge Vega)

Thank you Jorge. 

If you are going to do the oil samples you need to do them and have the results back before you drain the oil. Same with the transmission. That way you can see if you got a good sample or if it is way out of wack you can send in anouther to verify the results. It is cheaper than doing a teardown and inspection. Oil analysis is basically "tread" analysis. Sampling new oil will tell you you have new oil. Sampling after a set period (most don't drive enough to do more than one per year) say 10,000 miles. Did the amount of Iron go up faster or is it significantly higher than last time. Things that can point to a possible failing part before it catastrophically fails.

Bill

Serviced the Pure Air Plus in my Navigator yesterday. I used the DQ6026 general service kit, it includes the desiccant cartridge, coalescing filter, relief valve, purge shield and associated hardware. The old desiccant cartridge didn't look to bad to me but the coalescing filter looked kind of nasty, I think it has not been replaced in like forever.

20220207_144610.thumb.jpg.575000444a70596eb5accca2c264cd1e.jpg

20220207_144259.thumb.jpg.9dd8a801618f44fa59bb954e00fa83d3.jpg

20220207_180707.thumb.jpg.6cdedf30abd6aec4961791f22f94cab8.jpg

Tested the system today and everything is working nice with no leaks. Also removed the bottom plate/shield from the radiator to inspect and clean, it wasn't too bad, just minimal debris.

So, RADIATOR✔️ and AIR DRYER✔️