navigator1

1996 HR Navigator - HELP

32 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

I always have 2 primary 30 micron fuel filters in the coach spare parts box.

Great recommendation for a DIY person. At the very least carry the filters, should you need a filter change you can always pay a road side mechanic to install your filters. 95% of the battle would be locating the proper filters on the side of the road.

I had to replace our secondary filter at a rest stop on the way home from Tennessee in Virginia. I noticed the fuel pressure gauge dropping dramatically when pulling a hill. 

I carry two sets of fuel filters. I can replace a set and still have a spare set in case I really run into bad fuel. The primary isn't bad to replace, but the secondary is under the bedroom floor. 4 screws and lifts easily. I have a web belt wrench that uses a 3/8ths extension and ratchet. Where the new filters are stored, I carry a plastic 2# coffee can to catch the filter as I remove it. 

23 hours ago, manholt said:

That leads back to Joe's suggestion on 8/25!

This coach needs a total service of both engine & chassis, DOT info of tires, batteries.  Have you added fuel since purchase?  The coach has been sitting a lot if it only has 46k miles in 24 years!!!  Works on gas, NOT a DP!

OK got it! I just went by what I found on the internet: https://www.mhsrv.com/1996-holiday-rambler-navigator-with-slide-used-diesel-pusher-tx-i1201791

UPDATE: I surfed the internet for a while, I cannot find a HR Navigator with a gas engine.

I finally got to the turbo unit today Sept 1st and I think I'm happy with what I found. First, this is a 1996 HR but I found a date plate on the turbo with a 2000 date stamped on it  so I'm pretty sure that the turbo unit got replaced at some point. I think that the metal chunks that I found where leftover from the previous unit.

Next I opened the front and back and could not see anything broken in there.

The unit turns freely and there is no play so I'm going to put it back together and hope that everything is ok now.

As far as the fuel issue, I'll just have to replace the filters more often for a while and see what happens. The fuel filters that I replaced had a 2015 service date on them and to me that's poor maintenance practice and unacceptable. 

I have already replaced the house batteries and yes I'm planning on doing a total service to it too.

I will post as I take care of the problems, thank you all for the great recommendations and suggestions and take care.

20190828_174140-1.jpg

20190828_181324.jpg

20190901150654.jpg

Looks like you may have gotten lucky. I would run some Diesel Kleen at a double dose level and see if it runs better. Go put some miles on it and have some fun.:D 

Have a great Labor Day

Bill

20 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Looks like you may have gotten lucky. I would run some Diesel Kleen at a double dose level and see if it runs better. Go put some miles on it and have some fun.:D 

Have a great Labor Day

Bill

Yes Bill, I do feel a lot better now with the turbo issue and I think that slowly I will be able to take care of the fuel issue also. My biggest reward out of all this is to know that there is a lot of nice and knowledgeable people here and that Sir is worth a million. Thanks to you and to all, and have a wonderful labor day too. :)

Glad to hear there is nothing wrong but the fuel!

We bought bad fuel a few years back, it began growing bacteria at an alarming rate in the tank. I picked up a bottle of Diesel biocide and treated it within 3 days of purchasing the fuel.

I was replacing the fuel filters around every 900 miles or so afterwards. It took almost two seasons to get rid of it! The filter changes gradually increased in mileage shortly after the first round. 

Now at every fill up I use diesel fuel treatment that also increases the cetane rating of the fuel. Cheap insurance as far as I am concerned and the coach does perform better with it.

Make sure you carry extra filters, tools and a way to prime them. Probably couldn’t hurt to run through it at home first. I also carry a small hand pump to fill them, and a plug for the center of secondary filter so I do not introduce unfiltered fuel to the injection pump. 

Can you see into your tank from either fill neck?

8 hours ago, obedb said:

I still use my Mason Jar to get a look at the fuel before a buy. Could save some trouble.

The jar also works good to check the DEF. That can also prevent some problems.

Rich.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:46 AM, jleamont said:

Can you see into your tank from either fill neck?

I have not checked the tank yet but I will this weekend. Right now I'm waiting for a belt tensioner and new belt that I just ordered a couple of days ago, It's supposed to be here by Friday.

I'm thinking about siphoning some of the fuel out of the tank with a hose just to take a look at it and if it looks ok I will take it out around town for a test drive to see how it performs.

26 minutes ago, Navigator1 said:

That's an awesome idea, thanks.👍

I do exactly the same.  Have a clear glass jar with lid in the compartment next to my diesel fill.

Pump 10 ounces or so into the jar.  If it looks good, pour it in the tank and insert nozzle to fill.

6 hours ago, Navigator1 said:

I'm thinking about siphoning some of the fuel out of the tank with a hose just to take a look

Be sure to insert hose all the way to bottom of tank since you are not moving and mixing the fuel, that's where the water and other contaminates settle to. I use the mason jar test also, but wait a few minutes for the fuel to settle, then check the bottom of the jar for beads of water that may settle. 

9 hours ago, Navigator1 said:

I'm thinking about siphoning some of the fuel out of the tank with a hose just to take a look at it and if it looks ok I will take it out around town for a test drive to see how it performs.

Like Kay said unless you can get to the low point in the tank you are unlikely to find anything. I would do like I suggested earlier. 

Bill

It has been a while since last time I posted here so I wanted to do a quick update. I still have the Navigator and it has been running great after a new fuel shut off solenoid and a few fuel filters. I have replaced the house batteries, and had the whole thing serviced, that did hurt, lol, so now I try to do all the work myself with the help of my good friend YouTube 😁. I also removed and replaced the bathroom skylight and did all of the old roof sealer because I could see some bad spots. I resealed it myself but there is a few spots where the fiberglass sheet has delaminated and I don't like it like that, so it will be one of my next projects to do, maybe this summer. I replaced all the shocks in it and a couple of tie rod ends, installed a Safe T Plus and replaced the big muffler with a straight thru stainless one. I also installed  a new washer and dryer, a new tap and filter in the kitchen sink and washed all the curtains inside. I have to admit, the darn thing is looking pretty nice.  I do need a new set of tires, I have already ordered them too but due to bad weather over here, I had to cancel an appointment to have them replaced this past Monday Dec 27, 2021. Most recently I have been replacing some of the marker lights, did the side ones and the red ones in the back. I still want to replace the air bags, and redo the roof.

Take care, God bless and Happy New Years everyone...

20210709_131615.thumb.jpg.73e1a3dc0d5ae223c4da13ce09cc6f77.jpg 20211226_093847.thumb.jpg.5bf68bedfefa78e8e42ad27a8d1df917.jpg

IMG-20211230-WA0021.thumb.jpg.00eb30b78d3ac81d7ade49b9f5fd8e0e.jpg 20211230_171932.thumb.jpg.62f7b7d4d56b2fbe7c5e6314b51d3619.jpg

Edited by navigator1
to add photos

On 12/31/2021 at 7:53 AM, wildebill308 said:

Good to hear. Have a Happy New Year. 

Where are you located and what is all that white stuff in the pictures? :o

Bill

Thank you Sir and Happy New Year to you as well. Located in Tacoma, WA and the white stuff, the sky has been falling, lol. Thank God is supposed to get nicer this coming week, lets hope so.

Take care my friend.👍

3 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

What did you put on? 

Bill

Hi Bill,

When I bought the MH two years ago, it had Michelins XZE2s and they looked brand new, selling point of previous owner. I did not know better about tire age so I was impressed. The fact is that the tires where 8 years old already and after reading and learning everything I know now about tire age and safety I decided to replace them even though they still look really good. And since they were still in such a great shape I ordered the same tires. Hope to get the money worth out of them. I also bought a steel rim and kept one of the old ones to be used as a spare with the hopes of never having to use it. 

20220104_194910.thumb.jpg.4f1184c67f432eb08f7a8d7f81fa1cd4.jpg

On 1/7/2022 at 4:38 PM, wildebill308 said:

Have you got to replacing shocks yet?:P

Bill

Yes Sir, did those and two tie rod ends by myself about 6 months ago.😁

20220104_115249.thumb.jpg.6c08b85e0ddb2b363ab82a3300095b9e.jpg

That airbag doesn't look that bad. Something else, There is always something else. Lok at any rubber bushings in the front, like on the sway bar connection arms. Replace them with polypropalean bushings for a firmer ride.

Bill

On 1/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, wildebill308 said:

That airbag doesn't look that bad.

Yeah, the two in the front are not too bad, it's the ones in the back that got me worried a bit. There is a rubber flap that I believe it's supposed to keep the dirt out but it rubs a bit on the air bags and it has wore a groove on both of them. But if I'm going to replace the rear, might as well replace the front ones too.

20210514_175642.jpg

IMG-20210309-WA0013_LI-Inked.jpg