JetMech05

Retiring

Well, September 27th I will be retired and we become full time rv's. First stop Tombstone. We will continue on to van horn texas for an over night, then to big bend national park for two nights. Afterwards my wife wants to see the Alamo. Then four days in Galveston to stay at an rv park on the beach.  It will be the first time at the beach for our two dogs. It will be fun to see them on the beach. Then on to south florida to visit family. For the holidays we will stay at my daughters in Virginia and eat, eat, and eat, And best of all...the grandkids :)

Right across the street from the Alamo is "The River Walk."  Take the boat ride.

Also, the Alamo is one of the "Missions."   Take a half day or more to visit the missions on the mission trail.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, JetMech05 said:

Well, September 27th I will be retired

Welcome to the retired club. SLOW DOWN!!!! You are retired not on a rushed vacation. Like Carl said 2 days is not enough time in Big Bend. You have plenty of time to get to Florida for the holidays. 

Bill 

p.s., the journey is the destination, enjoy the journey.

Don't forget that being retired means you don't have to get everything done in one day. Being retired is difficult. You never know when you are finished.

Welcome to retirement and be advised, it could still be hot during the day in Big Bend especially down by the river.   As a suggestion, unless you have something in mind for Van Horn I would suggest pushing another 80 or so miles to Fort Davis State Park. Great park and the McDonald Observatory is nearby. They have star gazing parties some nights but advance tickets are a must. From Fort Davis its a short drive to the Big Bend area. You must go to the Terlingua ghost town just to sit on the porch and visit with the locals and visit the cemetery you drive by on the way to the store. The drive between Lajitas and Presidio is awesome in your toad. The road follows the Rio Grande River and has some great scenery. When you leave Big Bend, exit the north entrance towards Marathon. In Marathon, turn east on Hwy 90 and stop in Langtry to learn how Judge Roy Bean was the law west of the Pecos. You can stay on Hwy 90 all the way to San Antonio.

It will be beneficial for members if you will add your rv information in the signature area. Safe travels and like already mentioned, slow down and smell the roses.