eric@babin.com

A/C Replacement 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

It's always something.... Day 1 of our 4 week trip and our #2 A/C unit is crapping out.

Symptom: When the compressor tries to kick on amps JUMP big time, compressor shuts down, fan blows fine, but obviously not cold. 

I'm thinking of just replacing the entire unit rather than spending a crap load of money on troubleshooting etc....

Two questions.... for a 2014 Itasca (Winnebado) Ellipse (Tour) is this the correct unit? https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-appliances/air-conditioner/air-conditioners-coleman-dometic/coleman-mach-8-135-wt_08.0214?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl9-h2Zm1_otnKrtJ58e5cNtYCQcI_9YO47UgWV9-YtEfWShofBnnR4UaAjaaEALw_wcB

Question 2- How difficult would this be to replace myself other than the hassle of getting the 90lb unit to the roof?

23 minutes ago, sstgermain said:

Go out and spend 50 bucks and replace the capacitors in the unit. That’ll fix it

Be sure to ask for hard start capacitors. Pretty simple to replace, pull the cover that is on the roof, just be sure no AC (voltage) is present.

1 hour ago, sstgermain said:

Go out and spend 50 bucks and replace the capacitors in the unit. That’ll fix it

Where may one might find such capacitors?   A/C parts supply? 

A little research and it seems they are available on Amazon.  

I'll call Coleman with the model and serial numbers to get part numbers, order, and replace..... 

Thanks... It will be a couple weeks before I can do this, but I'll update when I have info....

BTW- I'm still getting a quote for full replacement so I'll share that info here as well.

Thanks guys!

OK... here are some numbers that may be helpful to others in the future:

for my 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42qd.   

A/C number 2 is:  Model: 47073A879

Don't call Coleman unless you are a RV Tech or dealership... they don't want to hand out info... but, use the parts diagram online and you can figure it out.....

Parts diagram with numbers here: http://old.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/r609c__1015.pdf

I am ordering run capacitor part number 1499-572 and start capacitor (start device kit) part number 9333-9021both off Amazon for just over $50.

Links:

Start Device Kit (capacitor) (9333-9021) : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCR7GM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Run capacitor (1499-5721)r:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCSX3I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20 hours ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

It's always something.... Day 1 of our 4 week trip and our #2 A/C unit is crapping out.

Symptom: When the compressor tries to kick on amps JUMP big time, compressor shuts down, fan blows fine, but obviously not cold. 

I'm thinking of just replacing the entire unit rather than spending a crap load of money on troubleshooting etc....

Two questions.... for a 2014 Itasca (Winnebado) Ellipse (Tour) is this the correct unit? https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-appliances/air-conditioner/air-conditioners-coleman-dometic/coleman-mach-8-135-wt_08.0214?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl9-h2Zm1_otnKrtJ58e5cNtYCQcI_9YO47UgWV9-YtEfWShofBnnR4UaAjaaEALw_wcB

Question 2- How difficult would this be to replace myself other than the hassle of getting the 90lb unit to the roof?

I changed one of mine.  I hung an electric winch in the rafters and made attachments under each of the 4 mounting screws for the cover.  Unbolted everything on the inside and lifted up, drove out and let the old ac to the floor and hooked up the new one and hoisted it up and drove underneath and lowered it down in place.  Took about 1/2 hour.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, desertdeals69 said:

I changed one of mine.  I hung an electric winch in the rafters and made attachments under each of the 4 mounting screws for the cover.  Unbolted everything on the inside and lifted up, drove out and let the old ac to the floor and hooked up the new one and hoisted it up and drove underneath and lowered it down in place.  Took about 1/2 hour.

Ye... that is kind of what I was thinking.... we have a large cover we park under at our home base and certainly has room for a winch.

Hopefully the capacitor replacement fixes it though.... we'll know in a couple of days.

43 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Know anyone nearby with a fork lift?

Even a bucket loader.

nope... so lets hope the capacitors do the trick... but, I was thinking I might be able to tie a rope to the boxed up A/C unit, pull it up an inclined ladder with someone pushing and guiding it up..... oh well... hopefully I won't have to try that. 

I think they are all pretty standard with a 14" opening. Besides the electrical hook-ups the seal that comes with them is important. You don't want to compress them all the way. Check with someone that knows more than I do.

Parts have arrived.

No need in working on something today, that can wait until tomorrow.... right?  

I'll be replacing these capacitors tomorrow.... if that works, no need for full replacement!

To be continued...…………….

parts.jpg

I have used the ladder trick before. Be aware if/when working with the units they have lots of razor sharp edges.

Just be very careful to ground the old capacitors before you touch them. Well you won't forget again if you get bit.:P

Bill

Also watch out for dielectric absorption. Dormant capacitors can recharge themselves. Maybe not to a degree of intense electrical short but will definitely surprise you.  Watch out when you take the new capacitors out of the package, although dielectric absorption is more strongly related to a capacitor that has been charged for a long time.

14 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I have used the ladder trick before. Be aware if/when working with the units they have lots of razor sharp edges.

Just be very careful to ground the old capacitors before you touch them. Well you won't forget again if you get bit.:P

Bill

Yup, instant excitement_unless you have a pacemaker.

It's a bad day for the Radio Trop Rock bus.... changed the capacitors and we have the exact same issues.

I've got a quote from Texas Custom Coach to replace with a new A/C for $1,605.  I may have to bite the bullet and just do it. Will keep old A/C for parts.

I am getting a quote to see how much extra it would be to go to 15,000 BTU vice the 13,500 BTU.....  Any advice on if that is worth it?

Be sure to check pricing of new AC's on ebay for new AC's, it appears that you are pretty handy and roof AC's are not that hard to replace. Getting them to the roof is hardest part and you could easily hoist it up under that new RV shelter. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rv+air+coditioner&_sacat=0

Yes.... the price I'm quoted for the new A/C from TX custom coach is fair... the labor is about $360 so, to save myself a headache... and let them be responsible for any issues caused by errors.... I'm thinking it may be worth it.

I just tested the capacitors I took out using a multi-meter.  They seem to NOT be damaged.