timnjulie

2005 Class A motorhome Generator stops running

Recently purchased 2005 Damon Astoria M-3679 with 2005 7.5 kW Generac diesel generator. Serviced by RV shop. It has been working fine, but after a recent weekend trip it shuts down after 6 minutes. I have started it numerous times and it stops running almost exactly after 6 minutes, with or without load on generator. I have only used it for A/C traveling recently. Starts and runs great, for 6 minutes. It will start again after short wait. Not sure if it's a fuel pump. temperature switch, any suggestions?

Agree!  25% fuel, no generator!  Could also be a bad oil level sensor, if your tank is more than 25% full.

I'm not sure how to access error codes.  I will check the hours but they are low. I'll double check the coolant level but the generator was recently serviced. Thank you 

31 minutes ago, Timnjulie said:

I'm not sure how to access error codes.  I will check the hours but they are low. I'll double check the coolant level but the generator was recently serviced. Thank you 

The on/off switch will blink a code as soon as the generator stalls out. Count the flashes and there should be a pause between the sequences. 

Coolant level and  temperature may also shut off the engine. The  temperature sensor is time-consuming to replace. As Jleamont said, check error codes first.

2 hours ago, Timnjulie said:

The meter has 825 hrs.  The coolant was a little low. Topped it off but it still shuts down almost after 6 minutes every time. 

Were you able to count the flash’s on the switch light?

Have you contacted Generac support, my last MH with a Generac generator, I used them several times and found pretty good support.

24/7/365 CUSTOMER SUPPORTUnited States & Canada: 888-GENERAC (888-436-3722)

Do you have a voltage meter for AC, Generac has also a safety feature that looks at the output voltage of their generators, if voltage goes outside of normal operating range, normally 108 to 130 volts, the unit will auto shutdown.

Turns out I was low on coolant.  I put in 1/3rd of gallon, rv center said all they did was add 1 pint of coolant and now it works fine. Seems odd I was just 1 pint old, but hey it works fine now. 

14 hours ago, Timnjulie said:

Turns out I was low on coolant.  I put in 1/3rd of gallon, rv center said all they did was add 1 pint of coolant and now it works fine. Seems odd I was just 1 pint old, but hey it works fine now. 

I just went through this same problem earlier this summer, mine had a pinhole in the radiator that got progressively worse, so be sure to keep a close eye on the coolant.

You have one final task, investigate why coolant was low, and correct the cause. My  Onan 7.5 has never required additional coolant, well, at least since 2013 when we purchased this MH.