NanMWright

Towing Cargo Trailer Behind a Class A

Hi Folks,

I'm now driving a 30' 2010 Winnebago Vista 30W. I'd like to tow a 14' tandem axle enclosed cargo trailer for my UTV and a small workshop. I have reviewed cargo trailer building specs and I'm still baffled. I can't afford to just buy the top of the line, but I don't want to end up with something that won't hold up.  I am full-time on the road, mostly in the hot southwest. (I have been towing a 10' open trailer for the UTV but need to enclose it and my shop.)

I would really appreciate suggestions regarding higher-end brands that meet the basic needs. 

Thank you so much.   Nan Wright

20190319_134309 (2).jpg

The first, and primary consideration is the maximum tow rating for your MH, and hitch capacity. I suspect your hitch rating is 5,000#, which should also have a 500# weight rating. This would mean the loaded trailer could weigh no more than the rating, even less if your MH is already at maximum weight.  A special weight distributing hitch  may also be required, depending upon rear axle rating and actual weight on the rear axle.

This online travel trailer weight calculator will be of immense help when matching your MH with a trailer it will safely tow.  Substitute your MH weights for  the tow vehicle blocks. Please note, this calculator requires actual weights in many blocks, it even offers the 20% safety factor many full-timers go by to insure longevity of the tow vehicle.

Hello Nan, been a while.  Congrats, your moving up!  Got tired of the Pacific NW?  Nice looking coach.  

Utility trailers are like RV's...you have many choices, both new & used in the duel axle, enclosed.  It would help to know a few things, height of trailer, drop ramp or cargo doors, roof vent, electric plugs, tie downs, type of flooring?  As Ray stated, weight is your biggest concern!  IMHO you'll want a Aluminum trailer, like Feather light.  How much does the UTV weigh?

I found a 14', used aluminum,  3 years ago to carry my HD Trike to Parades..$1,800.  It had a drop ramp & nothing else, I had a boat trailer shop add on the tie downs, cut a hole in roof for a small AC unit, got it wired inside for 10 amp plugs...I did the insulation and added a 3KW Honda generator.  I pull it with my Jeep or a gas Chevy 2500 long bed P/U.  With fuel it weight's 4,270. 

Carl C.

Nan, welcome back!

I have owned a few enclosed trailers over the years. The last two were made by Pace American http://www.paceamerican.com/. They were price pointed well and the quality was great. One of them I used commercially and never had an issue with it and I ran that trailer for 11 years. Should you order it I would upgrade to torque flex axles, they require less maintenance. Here is a video on those axles;

One issue I experienced that I will share was the wind drag off of the RV. At the time our gas coach really had a hard time with wind resistance on the front wall of the trailer and I even special ordered it with a shorter tongue to tuck it closer to the RV. With the trailer behind us we would see a minimum of a 2 MPG decrease, and it felt like the brakes were dragging if there was any head wind, the trailer with the cargo was only 2300 lbs. With that being said if at all possible look for one with a V nose, it will pay you back on gas. I would seek out a used one first to save a few $$.

13 hours ago, RayIN said:

The first, and primary consideration is the maximum tow rating for your MH, and hitch capacity. I suspect your hitch rating is 5,000#, which should also have a 500# weight rating. This would mean the loaded trailer could weigh no more than the rating, even less if your MH is already at maximum weight.  A special weight distributing hitch  may also be required, depending upon rear axle rating and actual weight on the rear axle.

This online travel trailer weight calculator will be of immense help when matching your MH with a trailer it will safely tow.  Substitute your MH weights for  the tow vehicle blocks. Please note, this calculator requires actual weights in many blocks, it even offers the 20% safety factor many full-timers go by to insure longevity of the tow vehicle.

Thanks Ray - I'll start with the calculator and work from there on the buy or buildout of a trailer. I appreciate the link.  Nan

Hi Carl & J,

It's good to be back. I spent a long, quiet spring boondocking in a remote forest. My dogs both died, I adopted a UTV (less pain upon demise), I started up a mobile saddlery, working rodeos and repairing saddles and tack, and I upgraded to this lovely Winnebago. The saddle shop has taken over my kitchen, bed, passenger seat and all cupboards...so I think I'm ready for the enclosed trailer.

I'll start with the weight calc, as Ray suggests.  Beyond that, I'd prefer a 7' height, dual axle, ramp for the UTV, a V-nose, and a vent for an AC or fan. Good lighting will be important. I'll mount 100+W solar on the roof (which probably means I need a flat roof, not convex) plus some battery setup - 12v or 6v? I'm not sure about the wiring and the floor specs. The UTV is a Polaris Ranger that weighs 1,250. The Winnie does not like wind...or at least her driver (me) does not like wind. Will I have a problem with this trailer?

It only takes a slight breeze to empty my bank account, so some of this work I'll do myself. But starting off with some brand suggestions...so I'm working with a good foundation, would be really helpful.

Thanks for your replies.   Nan