danorske

Carrier AC problem

The unit will not come on, Compressor doesn't try to start. The green "ON" light is flashing on and off. The fan works OK. only. any ideas?

18 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Shore or gen power?  Check the voltage at the AC.

doesn't matter. I did trip the circuit breaker off then on. If I have to get on top of the coach, I can't do that. how else can I check the voltage?

Think you need to find a mobile service tech or service center for your AC issue.  The parts and testing them are built into the Roof AC units and that is where the repair(s) need to start.

This is one of the best locator links I have found if they are unable to offer any help. They might be able to offer a possible service center contact number.

https://fixonroad.com/home/

Rich.

I live close to Birmingham Alabama, I have a Carrier Air V that I pulled off the roof last spring, it is non ducted but only difference in the units is the inside cover contains controls, your controls will work with it. The fan assembly is broken and I was unable to find a replacement fan. The rest of the unit works and cools great. Free for the asking if you find someone that can make the change. I have not checked shipping price yet to Sunset Tx., but can or if there is someone coming close that can take it to you. This unit as I said works great, but the fan motor locks because of imbalance due to cracked fans.

This probably won't work but now I do this for EVERY issue, because it does work about 1/4 of the time.... Unplug, shut down everything.... shut off chassis battery and coach battery banks..... wait 60 seconds and power back up.... I guess this resets / reboots everything and fixes things you never thought it might.... for our a/c when the thermostat freezes up, this is the only way to fix it. 

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago.  Everything looked good... but the compressor wouldn't come on.  Per the service manual, I tested the start/run capacitor and it was bad.  I bought a new one (hard to find) and now it starts/runs like a champ.

Unfortunately, you'll need to get on the roof to check it.  If you can't... call a service tech.

If you need the service manual and parts manual, I would be happy to email it to you.  Just send me your email address.

Good luck,

Ron

Eric, if you freeze up, take it off Auto and use High cool.  I'm currently doing that on both of my working AC's due to high humidity!  My welcome back to USA from 2 months in Eastern Canada present !!!

15 hours ago, manholt said:

Eric, if you freeze up, take it off Auto and use High cool.  I'm currently doing that on both of my working AC's due to high humidity!  My welcome back to USA from 2 months in Eastern Canada present !!!

That is the problem... when I say the thermostat "freezes up" I don't mean cold freeze... I mean no buttons work... can't change it off anything... it's stuck!

I have the same...I have had TCC look at it, that day it worked fine! :( 3 weeks later, stuck again...I hit it yesterday, so far, so good.  I will be replacing my AC System later this year, so new Thermostat.

5 hours ago, danorske said:

Ronald, You said its hard to find, you are right. Where did you find one?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

I'm not sure it's an exact match to what you need, but here is where I bought it in Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trane-45-12-5Mfd-440V-Rnd-Run-Cap-OEM-CPT0688/381974411981?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3Dd100968a6f0e496385b8a2d0ef495102%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D372557506355%26itm%3D381974411981%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2509164&_trksid=p2509164.c100903.m5276

It's a 440 volt, instead of 330 volt... but that's okay.  It is physically larger than the original, but I found a spot above the fan to attach it.  Just used some really strong two-sided padded tape to hold it there.

The other option is to buy two separate capacitors (In my case a 45 Mfd and 12.5 Mfd) and do a little rewiring.  I didn't like that option, but it would also work.

If you need more help, just email me.

Good luck,

Ron