Sign in to follow this  
blakleyfamily

Power Gear

Good morning, the "jacks down" warning buzzer wouldn't go off when I released the parking brake so I replaced the float sensor. The "jacks down " light goes out on the panel but the buzzer still comes on. I had to drain the tank because the float part of the sensor had fallen off and was at the bottom of the tank "what a nightmare that was to get out". Lippert says the refill capacity on the tank is 1.4 gallons so that's what I put in. Also now, the automatic leveling doesn't work. Thanks for your help.

The set up on this tank to check the oil is not very good, . The dipsticks are on top of the tank and go through a rubber O ring and it's very easy to have the O ring fall into the tank. The dip sticks themselves are only a couple of inches long. I'll take one out tomorrow and make a jig to use as a dipstick the same length only less diameter so I don't have to keep pushing the dipstick through the rubber O ring.  then carefully put the real one back in. Thanks for your post, I'll keep you updated.

Fingers crossed.

Are you checking the fluid level with the jack up or down? If the jacks are down then your level will show low. If they are up then your low on fluid if it is as you describe.

Good luck,

Herman

Coach, make, model and length, would help.  Mine is on a 45' & hold 12 qts.  If you have slide outs, it takes more fluid for the 2 or more slides.  Jacks up, fluid up!

Rooms in, levelers up. Lippert says the capacity is 1.4 gallons of Dextron 3 trans fluid. It may be a little bit low from spillage when I filled it up. It's such a hokey design with the dipsticks going through rubber Orings on the top of the tank. You really have to be careful when you pull the dipsticks in or out because if the O ring falls in the tank, it's a world class bummer to get it out. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39S      3 slides.

Blakley, sorry I was making a joke.

If you have two dip sticks your tank may have two chambers for fluid. If that is the case you you need to be sure and check both. One could be low while the other is full.

Herman

When I had to drain the tank to get the broken float ball and O ring out, I filled the tank from one side and both dipsticks had oil in them, also when I had the camera down in the tank looking for the fallen parts, I could see all the way around the bottom of the tank and there is only one drain plug for the entire tank so I think I'm good there. It's also nearly impossible to put oil in the right side dipstick hole because there's just no room or access, has to be done from the left side.. Seems like it's just another engineering marvel. Also Lippert says the tank is obsolete now. 😡

In my opinion they built a lot of tanks and then found out what you did, next to impossible to fill on the right side. So to keep from scrapping the tanks they just modified then by adding the filler neck in the correct position. 

Herman 

Yeah it's directly across from the filler hole on the right side that can't be used so you have to use the one on the left. The problem is that the holes are smack on top of the tank and the rubber O rings get hard and if your not careful when you push the dipstick back through the hole, the O Ring falls in the tank  and it's a world class bummer to get it out.. It's always a crap shoot and needs to be done very slowly and carefully. Just a word to the wise for anyone that has the same tank. Trying to save folks a LOT of heart ache..