Glenmora59

Keeping house batteries charged with no shore power

I have a 2011 Damon Daybreak (now Thor) with two 6v deep cycle house batteries in series. 

I have to store the MH in a location with no shore power.  I would like to setup a solar system to keep the charge up on the house batteries.  I am uncertain as to what wattage is needed to keep the charge up.  I have looked at Harbor Freight and there is a kit that opens a 13 Watt set of panels. 

Also there is a 25 Watt panel and also a set of 4 25 watt panels. 

A battery charge regulator is available along with assorted cables.  Which would likely be adequate to keep the two batteries charged? 

Final question is would I connect the positive cable to the positive terminal of the first battery and the negative to the negative terminal of the second battery in the series?  

You need to let us know if there is anything that will be draining the batteries while in storage, such as a monitoring system, burglar alarm system, or even a possible light turned on and off occasionally, and how many amps or watts do they pull, in order to get a good answer to the question. If you use a battery disconnect while in storage, a small system could work ok, but if no disconnect system is used and there is any drain, that needs to be taken into consideration for sizing. 

I set the "salesmen's" switch to the store setting when I store the RV.  I don't have any light or additional items on except perhaps the carbon monoxide monitor that is on always on.  Not sure what other things could be draining.  No appliances such as fridge are on.  

25 watts is about 2 amps @ 12 volts and with solar in direct sun you could count on about 3/4 amp per hour. I would go with the 4 25 watt unit if it were me, just in case you want to visit occasionally and use the lights. As Herman said, disconnecting the batteries is another choice since it is house batteries.

It's not just the amps. Some of the smaller panels don't put out the correct voltage to effectively charge the battery bank.