etcgard@hotmail.com

First Trip. Navigator Stressed!

Question

We are planning our first long trip out in our new/used 34' class A with a Jeep Wrangler in tow. It's a little scary. Hubby is pretty comfy driving but I'm the navigator....yikes!! Anybody ever traveled between NH, VT and upstate NY without having jumped up and down between interstates. I've got the low clearance places under control...it's the unknown roads that scare me. Anybody ever traveled that area have any suggestions?? All comments appreciated.

Wanda Gardner

04 Seabreeze 8321LX :rolleyes:

11 answers to this question

Hi Wanda,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. We will be going from south Florida to the top of Maine this summer. Our route is:

1. South Florida to Concord, NC. via Interstate highways

2. Concord, NC to Niagara Falls, NY via interstate highways (I77, I79 to I90)

3. Niagara Falls to Binghamton, NY via I90, I 390, RT 17.

4. Binghamton to Essex Junction, VT. Interstates I88 and I87. I have not decided if I will take the ferry or drive around Lake Champlain.

5. Essex Junction to Ft. Jefferson, NH via I89 and US Route 2.

6. Ft. Jefferson to Presque, Maine via US Route 2, I95 and US Route 1.

7. Presque to Acadia Nat Park via US route 1, I95 and ALT US Route 1

8. Acadia Nat Park to Boston, MA via ALT US Route 1 and I95

9. Boston to Newburgh, NY via I95, CT Route 9, I91, I691, I84,

10. Newburgh to Shartlesville, PA via I84, I380 and I78

11. Shartlesville to Gettysburg, PA via I78, I81 and US Route 15

12. Gettysburg to points south, via I81

Post here or email me with any questions.

Welcome Wanda,

We've made passes through the area, more in NY than NH and VT. I love upstate NY and we've never encountered any problems there. The drive along the St. Lawrence Seaway in upstate NY is spectacular. There is a road that runs along the bluffs overlooking the seaway and there are large pull through rest stop/parks where you can stop and have lunch or picnic. We stopped for the night, set up the BBQ and watched the sun set over the St. Lawrence Seaway. One of my favorite memories. The road is little traveled and is quite suitable for motor homes. I believe it was Hwy 131 and Hwy 37 that we took. We enjoyed Lake Champlain, crossed a bridge that has been removed now for a shortcut to the central road, US 2. Be sure to drive some of the Finger Lakes area and plan to visit some wineries if you are so inclined. In Burlington, VT we had to see Ben n Jerry's production facility. We toured Mt. Washington area and saw Dixville Notch at The Balsams Grand Resort near Berlin, NH where the first election returns are announced each national election. These last were visited with the toad rather than taking the motor home.

If you have doubts about a road, tap into the local knowledge available at campgrounds where you stay. You can also query state department of transportation sources on the internet or by phone. We use a truckers atlas which will show you the absolutely safe roads though you may miss some great scenic roads if you stay only to the truck roads. After 9 years on the road, we've grown pretty much fearless. We've had to break down and turn around several times - each is a learning experience.

Be brave! Tell Hubby to be patient! Enjoy your trip.

Guest 2driftrs

Hi, Wanda, and welcome. Janet and I have spent many years traveling through New York and New England because we're old Catskill Mountain folk! Here's the best tip I can give you - - purchase a Motor Carrier's Atlas. This is what truckers use because it lists low clearance roads, restricted roads, etc. This is really useful to Jan and I as we try to avoid Interstate Highway travel.

There's lots of RV'ers who might suggest the new Garmin or PC Miler GPS units geared toward truckers and RV'ers. My son drives flat bed tractor trailers for a living and he's tried both these so-called trucker friendly units. Neither of them worked that well, especially in the area of restricted roads. It's a pretty good rule of thumb that if a road is restricted to trucks, you probably don't want to be on it either.

Last but not least, we never drove at night in Maine or New Hampshire. Hitting a 125 pound deer is one thing - - hitting a 1,200 pound moose is something else. So as you travel about in those places, heed the "Warning - Moose Crossing" signs.

Thanks for the route info Gary!

I'm glad we joined FMCA. We've met a lot of nice folks here already!

We live in Jacksonville and are headed to Acadia as well. Can't wait to see Maine. On the way up we must stop by Springfield, VA. for a while or our family members will be really mad at us. We'll be staying at Pohick Bay Campground while visting the family since it's only 7 miles from their home. Have you ever stayed there?

We are booking it up to Acadia after VA. so we are taking mostly interstates. The only request from hubby was for me not to take him on the Jersey Turnpike or through DC, Philly, Baltimore or NY city...one more request...he wants to visit Cabelas in PA. So from Pohick Bay, we too are takin 15 via Gettysburg to I81 to I78 just like you are doing on your way home. It's all interstate on the way up until we get to Bangor, ME where we get off to head to Acadia. We are staying in ME. for 4 weeks beginning 6/25. Staying at Balsam Cove Campground between Bangor and Acadia then heading to just below Portland to stay at the Saco KOA.

After Maine we want to slow it down and do some back roads. We wanted to head to the White Mountains area around Conway, NH, then head over to Burlington, VT then down to Rutland, VT, then over to the Adirondacks and then Niagara Falls. It's an industrious trip for our first long run. If not too tired after that we might just keep going! who knows!

When will you be in the Acadia area and where will you be staying? If you see a metalic chartreuse green jeep wrangler driving down the road it could be us so wave!

Wanda Gardner :rolleyes:

2004 National SeeBreeze 8321LX

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Hi Wanda,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. We will be going from south Florida to the top of Maine this summer. Our route is:

1. South Florida to Concord, NC. via Interstate highways

2. Concord, NC to Niagara Falls, NY via interstate highways (I77, I79 to I90)

3. Niagara Falls to Binghamton, NY via I90, I 390, RT 17.

4. Binghamton to Essex Junction, VT. Interstates I88 and I87. I have not decided if I will take the ferry or drive around Lake Champlain.

5. Essex Junction to Ft. Jefferson, NH via I89 and US Route 2.

6. Ft. Jefferson to Presque, Maine via US Route 2, I95 and US Route 1.

7. Presque to Acadia Nat Park via US route 1, I95 and ALT US Route 1

8. Acadia Nat Park to Boston, MA via ALT US Route 1 and I95

9. Boston to Newburgh, NY via I95, CT Route 9, I91, I691, I84,

10. Newburgh to Shartlesville, PA via I84, I380 and I78

11. Shartlesville to Gettysburg, PA via I78, I81 and US Route 15

12. Gettysburg to points south, via I81

Post here or email me with any questions.

Hi Wanda,

You are welcome. We will arrive in the Acadia area on July 6. We will be staying at Timberland CG. We leave on July 10. We will have the Gkids with us. Our time is fully booked. We have four more years with the Gkids. Then we can travel at a much slower pace.

Hi 2driftrs!

Thanks for the welcome!

You are the second couple that has told me about the Motor Carriers Atlas. There is a Flying J about 20 minutes from our home that I will be visiting tomorrow to purchase one. About $50?? but less than body work repairs! We are so looking forward to The Catskills and the Adirondacks. We live in Jacksonville, FL.

Yeah, interstates are great for getting from point A to point B but we love the back roads and small towns. We are thinking of finding a campground central to all the places we want to see and unhooking the jeep and taking off!

If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brains about a couple of highways we're interested in? There is a highway 4 that goes across from around the Quechee gorge in VT over to Rutland VT then on to Glen Falls, NY; Also a route 7, 22A that goes down from Burlington, VT to Fair Haven, VT; and lastly a highway 3 that runs through the upper half of the Adirondacks and comes out around I81 at Waterton on Lake Ontario. Have you driven any of these?

Are there any particular scenic drives up around that area that you love. Any camping spots you always go back to?

As far as GPS devices, we have two. I hook the Tom Tom up for hubby when we're doing the interstate A to B drives just to keep him in the proper lanes for turns...I can nap that way ( :rolleyes: ). When riding around in the jeep, my laptop is with us and Microsoft Trips and Streets is loaded...with that I can zoom out to explore other possibilities in the area. Still, I take paper maps with us for back-ups....puppy dog dripped water in my last laptop. Did I mention we had a Lance Truck Camper for 5 years prior to our trade-up? I guess I'm only worried about making sure with our larger motorhome that the routes from campground to campground are planned a little in advance and unexpected issues are minimized...if not, we too will become experienced at unloading and turning around!

Oh...and we will never drive the motorhome at night unless absolutely necessary. Nope...don't want to hit Mr. Bull Moose...or Mrs for that matter.

Sorry for all the questions. Any information will be appreciated!

Wanda & Nick Gardner

2004 SeaBreeze 8321LX

Hi Wanda,

I also recommend the Truckers Atlas. I get the large print edition. The pages are easier to read and the atlas is bound with plastic coated pages. I think this edition is about $75 now. I purchased mine at the J. Don't forget to use your J card when paying for the atlas. It may help increase the fuel discount you get for the next month.

I can not help with the routes mentioned in your post.

Thank you so much for your response. You truly have inspired me to be brave!

I found the highway you soke of alongside the St Lawrence Seaway and it has definitely been added to our plans...sounds beautiful! It is regrettable about the bridge over Lake Champlain but we are still plannning on going up that way regardless. I found on the web road advisory sites for VT and NY that will help a lot. Burlington, Ben & Jerry's and the white mountains of NH will now stay on our list.

I am definitely buying that Truckers Atlas!

Guest Wayne77590

Wanda,

I was on some of those highways last summer, 7, 22A, 3, 181 and a few more. They were all good roads, especially in the Adirondacks. We stayed at a city campground called Little Wolf Public Beach and Campground in Tupper Lake, NY. Reservations are recommended as it is a little place and it is right on Little Wolf lake. Very Peaceful, but be Leary of the Black Flies up that way. Those suckers can bite.

Also, a nice site to visit is the America's Independent Truckers Association that has low clearances by state. It's easy to find a hiway that you are getting off on and checking it for low clearances. It is at AITA. And when traveling, both of you have to watch for the bridge clearance signs, either on a yellow sign on the side of the road, or on the overpass. Know ahead of time what your height is when it is all loaded.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: Two years ago i was pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel with a 1 ton, crew cab, long bed and we were in NH-ME. I set the TomTom for an address in Durham/Freeport, ME (KOA) and departed New Hampshire. Let me say that it was an experience. I had the TomTom set for the fastest route. It took me over some roads that I should not have been on and I was at 20 mph in some of those turns. Had I looked at a map of where it was taking me (look at itinerary) I would have seen those roads. The other way would have been by Interstate, but it would have taking 5-15 minutes longer, so TomTom directed me over the side roads. I have a friend that followed TomTom and he came to a dead end. The only way he coud turn around was to Jacknife the trailer, unhook, drive on the sholder to the other side, and hook up jacknifed to pull out. I love my TomTom, BUT!! Like you, I have MS S&T. I will check my route the night before to see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

We are planning our first long trip out in our new/used 34' class A with a Jeep Wrangler in tow. It's a little scary. Hubby is pretty comfy driving but I'm the navigator....yikes!! Anybody ever traveled between NH, VT and upstate NY without having jumped up and down between interstates. I've got the low clearance places under control...it's the unknown roads that scare me. Anybody ever traveled that area have any suggestions?? All comments appreciated.

Wanda Gardner

04 Seabreeze 8321LX :rolleyes:

Hello,

We traveled a similar route last year. Just as other have mentioned, the Motor Carrier's Atlas is a must have, it saved us several times. I would also recommend the Big Rigs Resorts & Campground book for locating places to stay. I've had a lot of success with this book.

We stayed at the following resorts, which might be of interest. (we are a total of 64 ft with tow and these campgrounds could handle us) -

Newburgh, NY KOA - nice park, nice staff. They also do bus trips into NYC if you don't want to take your toad. We actually moved our RV into their storage area (only $7 a night) and drove our toad to NYC and Long Island to visit friends.

Apple Island RV Marina & Campground, South Hero, Vt (near Burlington, VT). Really liked this park. It has a small, nice golf course on property. Nice pool too.

Twin Mountain Motor Court & RV park, Twin Mountain, N.H. This is a small park, nothing fancy but easy in and good location to the White Mountains.

Also a side note.......I'm the navigator too.......however, my husband has changed it to naGigator....since I'm always telling him where to go.....it has been a funny joke on board for us. Hope you enjoy the journey. We LOVED touring Upstate NY to Vermont, to N.H. Maine, back to mid New York then onto Gettysburg...wonderful.

Marci