Sign in to follow this  
five

Coach Weights

I weighed my coach last week and came up with some interesting numbers.  The axle GAWRs are, front to rear, 17k, 20k, and 12k.  I last weighed the coach four years ago.  This years numbers compared to the last numbers are as follows, front to rear, F down 1,260#, dually/tag combined up 2,160#, total weight up 900#.  The Cat scale said they could not split out the dually and the tag weights.

Each time the coach was equipped the same....full fuel,  no water, no waste, no clothes/shoes, no food, empty refrig.  I can understand the extra weight since the first time I weighed it was soon after purchase and it had some of our "stuff" but not all of it.  I do not understand the weight shift and the amounts of the shift...down in the front and up in the back.  900# sounds right with the things we've added, the locations of the decrease and increase do not make sense.  I'd like to get a six point weight.

Here's what they look like in chart format:

2015            2019       Diff 15/19       GAWR            Difference between 2019 weight and GAWR     

Front  13,340          12,080      -1,260          17,000           -4,920

Rear  30,220           32,380      +2,160         20k + 12k        +380

Total  43,560           44,460       +900           49,000            -4,540

All comments appreciated

Your Tag axle air regulator needs to be checked on a regular basis. The pressure setting on mine changes and needs to be readjusted. Once you get your weight numbers, adjust accordingly. My front and tandem axles are about 85 to 87 percent of max axle load on each axle. The tag will only be about 40 percent of max load axle capacity. These max axle numbers can be found on the placard to the left of the pilot seat on the wall. Hope this helps.

How tag axle ride height is controlled depends on which chassis.  Some are proportional off drive axle, some are adjustable PSI for the tag itself.

So, check with your chassis maker to find out how YOURS is designed.

Said another way-- there is no "here is how they are all designed/built"

Was the scales level front to back and side to side?  Very important for accuracy.  When mine was weighed the scales were shimmed with a laser level.  Being off level can change the weight hundreds of pounds.