eric@babin.com

Dryer breaker screws up EMS?

yep... another day, another issue.

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42qd - Class A - 50amp

I use a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50x

Pedestal breaker tripped.

Reset breaker.

Progressive Industries protector shows no errors and both lines in the 120v range.

Once the protector's time delay allowed power to RV everything is working fine... A/C units, stove etc.... (those don't run on inverter so I know power is restored)

Problem...… my panels Powerline Energy Management System thinks we have no power?  What?  

A little playing around and I remember my lovely wife turns off the washing machine and the dryer breakers when there is a storm. (washer broken 2x during storm... and it's very expensive to fix because of the labor to get in and out).

So, wife turns breakers back on to make sure those still work.... 

Guess what.... when she hits the dryer breaker to "on" EMS works fine..... 

Why in the world would the dryer breaker affect the EMS panel?

Pictures below of when the dryer breaker is in the "off" position:

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

I remember reading of this issue on a different RVing discussion forum several years ago, sadly my memory fails at that point, and I do not remember the outcome.

My next test would to unplug the washer and dryer and test the breakers in off and on positions. Something is going awry in either washer or dryer if the EMS shows normal, if not, then disconnect wire from the breakers and test, if problem still there, then replace the breakers.

6 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

My next test would to unplug the washer and dryer and test the breakers in off and on positions. Something is going awry in either washer or dryer if the EMS shows normal, if not, then disconnect wire from the breakers and test, if problem still there, then replace the breakers.

Good idea.... Dryer unplugged and when I shut off the breaker it showed "brown out" error with one line going down to 7 volts.... 

Have you checked all the neutral and ground lines to be sure that they are all tight? Almost sounds like the washer/dryer breaker is acting as the conductor for the neutral or ground. Shut those breakers off and the remaining lines are faulting out.

If you have a loose neutral terminal somewhere this kind of thing can occur.

12 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Have you checked all the neutral and ground lines to be sure that they are all tight? Almost sounds like the washer/dryer breaker is acting as the conductor for the neutral or ground. Shut those breakers off and the remaining lines are faulting out.

If you have a loose neutral terminal somewhere this kind of thing can occur.

I'll check that out tomorrow. I have to shut everything down to work on an A/C anyway.... so that may be a good time to do a visual inside the breaker box.