math1929@yahoo.com

Dinghy Odometer Mileage

We have a Saturn now but need to replace it. We flat tow(four wheels down). The miles are not registered on the odometer.

Does anyone know if the cars considered towable today register miles while being towed? If they do register miles, how do you change that?

The Ford Focus (5 speed) is towable 4 down and does not accumulate mileage.

But, tell us what vehicles you are interested in and perhaps we can address your top choices.

Brett

We tow a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer and there is no problem with towing miles registering on the vehicle. I suspect this is the case with most toads but it is good to check.

Guest 2driftrs

As a general rule of thumb, if you have a digital odometer, it won't record miles. By digital, I mean one that comes on with the ignition. Older vehicles with a cable that ran from the drive shaft or tranny tail shaft to the speedometer will record miles.

We were looking at the 2010 Buick LaCrosse, But just today were told by a Buick Service Department they did not recommend it. (It was on the list Jan 2010 FMC Mag)

This will be our only vehicle (Besides our Motor Home) and are looking for comfort as well as towability.

Thanks for your help.

Tom & Mary Irwin, when we started looking for a toad, we contacted our hometown Toyota dealer and asked about a 2010 5 speed Toyota Corolla that was shown in the FMCA guide as flat towable. The sales person (many years at this dealership) said that no Toyota could be flat towed. I had seen the Corolla owners manual at another dealer, and I knew that it said the Toyota Corolla 5 speed could be flat towed. I suggested to him that he check further. He did and came back saying that it is now OK to flat tow the 5 speed Toyota Corolla (2010). If you are seriously interested in the Buick, go to a dealer and ask to see the owners manual.

Our Corolla toad does not register mileage while towing. I have to put the key in acc. position, turn off radio and heater/AC fan, and place the transmission in neutral. We have not had the toad long, but it does a fine job for us.

Sam

When we bought our Trailblazer, we asked the salesman about towing and he said it could not be towed. At the next dealership I asked to see the manual and sure enough, there were the towing instructions and information. Trust the manual, not the word of a salesman. The request to tow the vehicle is not a standard bit of knowledge that a salesman will need to know for most customers so you have to do the work for them. Besides, the manual will give you all the instructions for towing if it is possible. It isn't just a question of can you tow it. If it can be towed then you have to ask yourself, "Am I willing to do all the things the the manual requires me to do for towing?" If not, look for another vehicle. The list of things you have to do varies widely with different vehicles.

We tow a Ford Escape and it does not record mileage. Has 29k miles and has never required warranty service. It is also for sale as we want to get a larger car that will better accommodate our family.

We're towing a 2000 Ford Explorer, when I bought it used in '03, the Ford salesman knew nothing about the Neutral-Tow-Kit, that I knew was required. He told me that I obviously knew more about the project then he did (True). Ford installed it as part of the deal. We've towed it untold miles with no problem. The miles don't show on the odometer.

We have a 2012 Ford Focus we have flat towed over 3,000 miles. Because of the electronic odometer and the fact you tow the Ford Focus with the battery disconnected, no miles show.

Thank you.

sasmit 8

22 minutes ago, SamJenkins1313 said:

Will a 2017 Ford Fiesta accumulate miles while towed ?

Yes, but it won't show on the odometer.

We tow a 2012 Smart Fortwo car four wheels down.   Since you put the car to sleep by turning off the batterie with a switch to tow the mileage doesn't add to the odometer mileage.  We use a BrakeMaster falcon towbar.

we don't have a break system  because of weight.

also we do not have power steering and don't have to bungee steering wheel, our friend has power steering and she does have to bungee her steering wheel.   Also her smart is a 2013 and her hood has a different latch and a cross wind will disconnect the hood. So she X bungees the hood to hold it down.

we think they are great little cars, easy to tow,park etc.    we both tow behind Rexhall class A Motorhomes.     Tom & Kathy Manoff

Edited by tomkathymanoff
For got to add bungees steering wheel because of power steering.

What do you mean by this statement?

"we don't have a break system  because of weight."

You better check carefully the law in the states you plan to travel in. In some it is as low as 1500 # and some use a stopping guide not based on weight. For example Wyoming requires.  "Achieve specific stopping distance. 40 ft @ 20 mph."

Bill

I have towed a 2014 Wrangler and the miles do not accumulate and am in the process of setting up my new Jeep Grand Cherokee and I do not beleive the miles will accumulate with it either

Mileage under tow = Carl Ada's answer above! 

tomkathy.  Get a break system for you toad, I agree not all state's require you to have one, ask your insurance agent.  If you decide to visit Canada or Mexico you got to have one!  If your in a accident, the Insurance company won't pay!  I saw a coach in Florida on I-75S that had to do a panic stop with a Fiat 300 as a toad, no break on toad, it climbed up the hitch and flipped into coach engine!  :blink:

Carl