cbdeajr

Hankook Tires

Looking to replace the tires on my 33 MH. Was thinking about Hankook as I only put 3500-5000 miles per year on them, But I have seen a lot of negative reviews fo Hankook tires on car but not seeing much on RV tires. Any suggestion?

Thanks

4 hours ago, cbdeajr said:

Looking to replace the tires on my 33 MH. Was thinking about Hankook as I only put 3500-5000 miles per year on them, But I have seen a lot of negative reviews fo Hankook tires on car but not seeing much on RV tires. Any suggestion?

Thanks

cbdeajr, I have them on our toad and I ran them commercially on a truck fleet a few years back. I cannot say anything bad about them. They did what they were supposed to on the commercial fleet to and were cost effective. 

7 hours ago, cbdeajr said:

Thanks

Been running them for 3 years on three different motorhomes, never a problem.

Jim

On 8/29/2019 at 2:56 PM, cbdeajr said:

Thanks

While I can't address negative reports on some applications for some brands, I do know that I can find negative posts on just about every brand tire I ever heard of.

A couple of points:

No company that makes Passenger, Light Truck and Heavy truck (RV) tires make them with the same materials or on the same building machines. I doubt that you think that winning the Indy 500 means you can expect the same materials or process to be used in your 365/70R22.5 LR-J tire.

I have a couple of posts on my blog with links to videos of tire manufacturing process new and old, showing just how different the manufacturing process can be. The raw materials are different and the internal QA testing is different, so I don't feel it is reasonable to use a broad brush of "negative reviews" from some individuals to consider all the tires a company makes must also be bad especially given the well-documented cases of poor or non-existant tire maintenance for so many vehicle owners.

When people ask me for recommendations for tires I offer a couple of suggestions.

1. You can check with NHTSA and check for current recalls for the brand and type tire you are considering.

2. Visit the company web site and see if you can locate dealers or stores in the states you travel to. If there are hundreds of stores then it would follow that it should be easier to get service and that millions of consumers must be happy with the products that the company makes. When doing this check confirm that you have visited the appropriate company web site. Some companies separate passenger and Heavy Truck dealers and you should not expect to be able to get service for your 22.5" tires at a passenger tire dealer

3. Don't use purchase price as your primary yardstick

Things to think about:

What was the complaint in the negative review? price? Service at a particular store? The tire didn't deliver 70,000 miles wear?  The fact that the tire suffered a puncture? Maybe even a complaint about a tire failure but the failure was traced to a valve core leak. I have even heard some complaints about the style of lettering on a tire sidewall.

Bottom line I know of no reason to not include Hankook brand on your shortlist.

2 hours ago, tireman9 said:

While I can't address negative reports on some applications for some brands, I do know that I can find negative posts on just about every brand tire I ever heard of.

A couple of points:

No company that makes Passenger, Light Truck and Heavy truck (RV) tires make them with the same materials or on the same building machines. I doubt that you think that winning the Indy 500 means you can expect the same materials or process to be used in your 365/70R22.5 LR-J tire.

I have a couple of posts on my blog with links to videos of tire manufacturing process new and old, showing just how different the manufacturing process can be. The raw materials are different and the internal QA testing is different, so I don't feel it is reasonable to use a broad brush of "negative reviews" from some individuals to consider all the tires a company makes must also be bad especially given the well-documented cases of poor or non-existant tire maintenance for so many vehicle owners.

When people ask me for recommendations for tires I offer a couple of suggestions.

1. You can check with NHTSA and check for current recalls for the brand and type tire you are considering.

2. Visit the company web site and see if you can locate dealers or stores in the states you travel to. If there are hundreds of stores then it would follow that it should be easier to get service and that millions of consumers must be happy with the products that the company makes. When doing this check confirm that you have visited the appropriate company web site. Some companies separate passenger and Heavy Truck dealers and you should not expect to be able to get service for your 22.5" tires at a passenger tire dealer

3. Don't use purchase price as your primary yardstick

Things to think about:

What was the complaint in the negative review? price? Service at a particular store? The tire didn't deliver 70,000 miles wear?  The fact that the tire suffered a puncture? Maybe even a complaint about a tire failure but the failure was traced to a valve core leak. I have even heard some complaints about the style of lettering on a tire sidewall.

Bottom line I know of no reason to not include Hankook brand on your shortlist.

As Paul Harvey always said, " and that's the rest of the story".

cbdeajr --

Two weeks ago I purchased a new set of Hankook AH37 275/75R22.5 tires for my motorhome to replace five year old OEM Michelin XZE2+ tires that had some sidewall cracking.  I utilized FMCA's tire purchase program with Hankook which lowered the price per tire from $650 list price to only $365 per tire including federal excise tax.   I purchased the tires from Southern Tire Mart near my home in Houston.  I drove round trip Houston - Baton Rouge this past weekend and the Hankooks rode and handled as well as the Michelins.

Like you I drive my motorhome less than 5,000 miles per year meaning my tire will age-out much quicker than they will wear-out.   For motorhome owners like us, the Sales Manager recommends "Tier II" tires like Hankook, Yohahoma, etc.   For long-haul truckers and motorhome owners that will drive 30,000 miles a year or more, then he would recommend Tier I tires like Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone to provide best tread life possible. 

Thus far with a whopping 500 miles of use I'm very pleased with my Hankook tires.

Mike, I don't know any motorhome owner, that does more than 20k miles a year/30k?  Unheard off....I come in at 12-16k a year and now I'm on BF Goodrich 315/80!  $5,400 for 8.

Quick update.  The “all in” price for my six new Hankook AH37, 275R70/22.5 tires was $2,380.  I’m extremely pleased with the service from Southern Tire Mart in Katy, TX and with FMCA’s discount pricing program with Hankook.  The significant cost savings for my new tires is well worth the cost of an FMCA membership!