f369945

FMCA membership price

Maybe I'm the only one, but to me FMCA is much more than just a discount club or a way to get lower prices on tires. We joined FMCA because we wanted to belong to a group of people that all shared a common interest and enjoyed traveling and living in our RVs. We wanted to be connected with others doing the same things, dealing with the same problems, and who would understand our little moments of joy seeing the sun come up over a new lake we've never visited before in our coach. I get it that people don't want to pay more than necessary to be members, but I just don't understand how this price increase is sending people running for the hills.

For a little over $0.205 (20 and 1/2 cents), I'm not sure I would go broke for all of what FMCA has to offer.

Let's see. Present rate $50 or 13 cents a day. so for about 7 cents more a day people are going to give it up.

Okay, but I really don't understand the reason why someone would give it all up for 7 cents a day..

I'm letting my membership lapse in October when it's up.  Since the move to include towables, the club has become even less relevant to me.  Maybe when I retire, the kids move out and we start full timing, I might see a desire to rejoin, but not for several years.

Chris g.

F3508s

Wayne...they want free stuff I guess!  RV'g has always been expensive, camping has not.  I don't remember what the dues was 50 years ago, but at $75 a year now, that's really cheap!  :blink::wacko:

Look at it this way, we are paying $50 for membership and $25 for FMCAssist, and hope we don't need the latter.

I don't plan on using the insurance policy on any of my belongings, but I have insurance. I have used auto insurance in the past. Sure glad I had it. Used it for the house also. Yep, paid in a bunch to Progessive for my 2008 MH. In 2017, hurricane Harvey claimed it, and Progressive paid me what paid me what I paid for it Glad i had the insurance.

The people I have met in person or on this forum is also worth the little extra 7 cents a day.

While I may not like a few things that have happened in the last couple of years, I cannot buy an insurance policy that covers what FMCAssist does for $25 per year. I don't think I can even buy it for the $75 total cost of membership. An occasional campground discount, the discount I got on tires and the value of the FMCAssist program more than pays for my membership.

Big questions...will the, perhaps younger, towable owners remain members and pay the increase in dues, and better yet,  has adding Towable RV's  helped or hurt the FMCA?   

Casper01.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

Adding Towable's has helped the bottom line.  As for "younger members?"  I have not run into many & the one's I know personally, don't care what the cost is, just like me.  There are many reasons for being a FMCA member and it has nothing to do with discounts or freebies!  IMHO some will leave, some will pass away and some will join!

You have been around for a long time...your guess is as good as mine!  From what I have seen since 1967, it's a small steady growth.

I always think that my membership dues make a very small contribution to a great big bowl of help to those in rare cases that might need it. For example, my wife does not drive our coach. Right now I’m in Pecan Riverside RV Resort in San Marcos TX. That’s 150 some odd miles from home. If I get sick or worse, she can get in the toad, drive home, and FMCA will send someone  who knows what they’re doing to drive our coach home. That’s priceless!

Come on folks it’s $25. That’s nothing! The information we get from this forum is worth the whole $75. The only affiliations I have with FMCA is my membership. This is just my humble opinion. 

“In all things, give thanks”. 

Paul

On 9/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, manholt said:

Casper01.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

Adding Towable's has helped the bottom line.  As for "younger members?"  I have not run into many & the one's I know personally, don't care what the cost is, just like me.  There are many reasons for being a FMCA member and it has nothing to do with discounts or freebies!  IMHO some will leave, some will pass away and some will join!

You have been around for a long time...your guess is as good as mine!  From what I have seen since 1967, it's a small steady growth.

I'm one of the "towable" members who joined once we were allowed.  I'm 59 and still working, but I don't think that qualifies me as "younger". 😀

Compared to other organizations like Good Sam (which I am also a member of), FMCA is still a great value at $75.  The FMCA Assist program is a fantastic deal, and the price on the road assistance plan is great compared to other offerings like Coachnet.  I hope when people step back and consider the value, they will reconsider their decision to leave.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:51 PM, wayne77590 said:

For a little over $0.205 (20 and 1/2 cents), I'm not sure I would go broke for all of what FMCA has to offer.

Let's see. Present rate $50 or 13 cents a day. so for about 7 cents more a day people are going to give it up.

Okay, but I really don't understand the reason why someone would give it all up for 7 cents a day..

I wonder how much saving 7 cents a day really means to a person who has spent over $100,000 for a MH-or truck N trailer? (depreciating asset)

If I saved 7 cents a day, I still couldn't buy a Starbucks coffee with it that month.

I have a hard time thinking of some folks spending $6.50 for a cup of Starbucks Moca latte times 5 cups a week ($32,50) times 52 weeks  ($1,690.00) and not saying a thing about Starbucks going up to $6.95 a cup. Let's see$6.95 X 5 = $37.75 X 52 = $1,807.00 a year. That's $117.00 a year more and not one peep out of them.:wacko::unsure: 

Herman

Perhaps in the future the FMCAssist will be an optional member benefit.   Opting out would then lower the annual membership rate.  Renewing for five years at a time is also cheaper so that will save money too.  Just some thoughts...

46 minutes ago, RevRichard said:

Perhaps in the future the FMCAssist will be an optional member benefit.   Opting out would then lower the annual membership rate.  Renewing for five years at a time is also cheaper so that will save money too.  Just some thoughts...

Seven Corners was asked about providing our members individual coverage. They declined. Also, the Governing Board directed the P&P committee to change registrations to be a maximum of three year renewal. 

Thank you for the update Ross.  I see that on the FMCA Renew Membership page that the five year renew is still an option for $300.  A savings of $75 over the yearly renewal.  Hopefully people will take that before it is gone.  Even at a three year registration, members save $20.  May not sound like much yet all those "not much" sure can add up to "a lot."

It will be the 2020 Governing Board meeting before they vote to approve the change to three years maximum. The charge of the 2019 Governing Board only requires the P&P Committee to make the change, but the Since it is a Governing Board approval P&P, the Governing Board must vote on the exact change. 

True...I for one, hate to see the 5 year go.  I do understand the reason behind it.  I will Vote according to what the majority of the members, in the Chapter I represent want.  Personally, I wish I had gotten my L#, 50 years ago...hate bill's!   My FMCA Renewal date is 2023, I will get another 5 yrs, before the next GB meeting!  I'm 76 now, so I figure I'll hang up the keys by the time I'm 85...:lol:

Djsamuel, 59 is young to most of us on this Post. :P  4 years ago, FMCA wanted to bring in towables on the premise that it would increase membership, decrease age (72) off members and lower cost of benefits, like Assist...IMHO, it increased membership, but nothing else! :ph34r:  I'm glad we opened it up to other RV's, times change and I now look at 5'ers and pull  behinds in a totally new way!  :)

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Djsamuel, 59 is young to most of us on this Post. :P  4 years ago, FMCA wanted to bring in towables on the premise that it would increase membership, decrease age (72) off members and lower cost of benefits, like Assist...IMHO, it increased membership, but nothing else! :ph34r:  I'm glad we opened it up to other RV's, times change and I now look at 5'ers and pull  behinds in a totally new way!  :)

Thanks for making me feel young! I'm the old guy at work. 😁

I'm trying to tell as many as I can about FMCA.  Hopefully the goals of opening membership to towables will be met.

Carl, you youngster you! I have two more on you. I don't think I'll go the longer term. I don't know how many years I have left driving but right now I feel great doing it. DW says I'm an excellent RV driver but she hates me in the car.

Dj, we are open to full FMCA membership, have been for 3 years now!  All you & your friends got to do, is Goggle FMCA.com or call 1-800-543-3622!  GET ON THE WAGON!

Wayne, yes we all have 2 different driving styles!  I don't like riding with Linda in car, but will fall asleep when she drives the coach! :lol: