f369945

FMCA membership price

Re-reading the thread and members vacating because of price AND because of allowing towables, I have this to say.

Take the motor out of a motorhome and what do you have if you tow it? An RV. There are some really nice towables out there now that would put the inside of a MH to shame as far as luxury and comfort. Also, how many pieces of equipment are the same for MH's and Towables?  Think holding tanks, water supplies, heaters, air conditioners, microwaves, and on and on.

Leaving FMCA is a personal choice and I respect that, I'm just personally thinking the reasoning is not right.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:51 AM, manholt said:

Dj, we are open to full FMCA membership, have been for 3 years now!  All you & your friends got to do, is Goggle FMCA.com or call 1-800-543-3622!  GET ON THE WAGON!

Wayne, yes we all have 2 different driving styles!  I don't like riding with Linda in car, but will fall asleep when she drives the coach! :lol:

I joined right after towables were allowed and have never regretted it.  My wife and I have no health problems, but one time I was unexpectedly rushed to the hospital with internal bleeding.  I can only imagine what that would have been like if we were traveling somewhere.  Assist gives us peace of mind.  In addition, I get much better prices on the Road Assistance as well, much cheaper than Coachnet.

Wayne, Dj.  Well said.  It's hard to argue against reality and logic!  You will always have those that, no matter how much they spend on a RV, want freebies...look at Wall Mart parking lots! :ph34r:

I like Glamping, however Earlene doesn't like it if there isn't a Walmart somewhere near the campground. She likes to go there and play cards - Master Card, Visa, etc.

Plus get 10% off camping fee if FMCA member - and those little 10%'s add up.

I can relate to that one Wayne.  The wife served in the USMC and she too loves to "Play Cards" at WalMart and Sams Club.  I also fold....LOL

RevRichard,

Earlene is a Marine also. 1960-1961. met her in San Diego, MCRD when I was going to radio telegraph school.

Military discount and FMCA discount are the same 10% but military is recognized at more places.

Wayne, Thank You and Earlene for your combined service. I see that you USMC Retired. Did Earlene retire also?

We have a gracious lady that is a Past National President of FMCA Lt. Col. Connie Pool whose husband was also a Marine, Col. Corbett Pool.

Thanks again and Semper Fi.

Herman  

Herman, Earlene did 12+ months...no retirement on that, that I know off, other than 100% disability from combat.  She got out, when I got in USAF 1961.

Herman,

No, she did not retire. She did not do a complete year. Back in those days when a woman got pregnant they were given an honorable discharge.  We were married in March of '61. I was to be transferred to a base that did not have Women Marines. We tried (I really worked at it) to have a child and shortly there after becoming pregnant she was discharged and followed me my entire career. According to my DD-214 it was 23 years, 6 months, 1 day.

Those who have been in the military know the difficulties that wives go through with all the deployments, raising children alone for months at a time, and on, and on and on.

"Marine Wife, Toughest Job In The Marine Corps."  and if you thing her job was tough when I served those years, our son was in the USMC for 31 years so she had more worries about deployments. "Marine Mom, Toughest Job In The Marine Corps."

Semper Fi!

Not just USMC...any military service!  It takes a "Special Woman", to stay with her man for 23+ years in the Military!  Your a Lucky man..

On 10/10/2019 at 3:00 PM, wayne77590 said:

Re-reading the thread and members vacating because of price AND because of allowing towables, I have this to say.

Take the motor out of a motorhome and what do you have if you tow it? An RV. There are some really nice towables out there now that would put the inside of a MH to shame as far as luxury and comfort. Also, how many pieces of equipment are the same for MH's and Towables?  Think holding tanks, water supplies, heaters, air conditioners, microwaves, and on and on.

Leaving FMCA is a personal choice and I respect that, I'm just personally thinking the reasoning is not right.

Wayne, you have good points, that towables and motorhomes are very similar in design and features.  My point of not renewing is that the organization forced upon the membership that we must include towables or the club will falter and die.  This is like creating a classic Corvette club, and then when you don't have enough membership to sustain the club, you then accept classic Mustangs.  They are both classic cars, with 4 wheels, an engine and transmission.  By accepting something other than your original purpose (motorhomes, land yachts, converted coaches, etc), you diminish what the founders intended.

I've been a member off and on since 1969, so maybe I'm probably just an old stick in the mud.

Enjoy the "new", FMCA.  I'll go subscribe to Motorhome Magazine and get a Good Sam membership.

Chris g.

F3508s

Humm, the impact of including towables on the magazine and this forum has not been nearly what I expected, so a lot less aggravated about it. Yet Chris has some valid points. I went a different route and followed Carl"s advice since I like a deal and bought into the $300 extended membership before it goes away. Janet says what if something happens and you can not drive, I get to read was my reply. 

If you can no longer RV and don’t want to continue as a FMCA member, you can write or email FMCA and request cancellation of your membership. You will be refunded any whole unused years. The return may be proportional based on the discount you received from your registration for multiple years. 

Chris g.  You can join AIM.  That's motorhome only...a lot of FMCA members are both!

Ross, agree!  Also if you want the magazine, become an A# member.

My point of not renewing is that the organization forced upon the membership that we must include towables or the club will falter and die. 

Not true at all. My question to the originator of this quote. Did you vote?  Statistics say that you most likely did not vote on the subject of letting towbles to join FMCA.

To change the structure of FMCA (aka the Constitution) requires a vote of the ENTIRE membership. Out of the entire membership, there was approximately 7-10% at most that took the time and effort to do so. 

Ross probably has the exact number, I don't.  So don't complain if you didn't do your part and vote.

I really don’t remember, but the majority of those that voted were in favor of accepting RVs that are self contained. Anyway, It is done, so let’s move on and continue to improve FMCA. 

And for what it is worth, we all use the same sewer hose. But maybe that is too simplistic. 

On 10/22/2019 at 11:06 PM, aztec7fan said:

My point of not renewing is that the organization forced upon the membership that we must include towables or the club will falter and die. 

I remember that the proposal was presented to the membership and receives a majority approval. So how was this "forced upon the membership"? 

On 10/22/2019 at 11:06 PM, aztec7fan said:

I've been a member off and on since 1969

So you don't/didn't believe in the club enough to support it full time Yet you are so outraged you are threatening to go join a club that is pretty much the same but with lesser benefits. 

I am wondering where are all the terabil changes are that you allude to. By the way I was in Minot, ND I didn't see any big changes also at the 6 State in Shreveport, LA. No changes and I didn't see you at ethir event.

The bottom line is the RV lifestyle should be about the people not the RV they show up in.

Bill 

What I was alluding  to is that the opportunity to vote was given to everyone, most chose to not do so.

The "majority" that is mentioned is of those that voted and not the majority of the entire membership.

No big deal to me, I still have a good time

4 hours ago, dons2346 said:

What I was alluding  to is that the opportunity to vote was given to everyone, most chose to not do so.

The "majority" that is mentioned is of those that voted and not the majority of the entire membership.

So what is your point? ALL the membership was given a chance to vote. 

Bill

Bottom line is, as Don, Bill and Ross said.  I also have seen no change or difference at any of the Conventions, Summer, Winter or Six State.  We have thousands of new RV members now and I see maybe a couple of dozen none coaches at the Rally.

Aztec, you have F 3508s, the "S" is son!  I had F6228, however back then, 2 last names for husband & wife, was not recognized.  That's OK with me, the F# died with my wife...it's just a #...now I have F342963.