Sign in to follow this  
F353196

Engine won't shut off during wet weather driving

2002 Empress Class A - 330 Cat engine

Suddenly during wet driving ABS light and alarm came on when engine ignition turned off,  Shortly thereafter engine wouldn't turn off either - had to disconnect battery cable.  After awhile unit would start however occasionally same electrical result even when conditions not wet.  ECM checked and is dry with connections good. Occasionally now engine won't start - just clicks- battery's good then after awhile starts immediately and ABS alarm goes off most of the time when engine off??.  Anyone have similar experience or suggestions? 

Sounds like you have corrosion at the wire connections.  I would check all the ground connections to the frame and then check all the plugins, spray with contact cleaner.

I had the same issue on a 2008 Freightliner with a Cummins engine. It happened twice within a matter of days and never happened again. At that time, Pat was still at the Gaffney Service Center, I called her to see if they had any information on the issue. It just so happened they had a motorhome in that had been there for 3 weeks as I recall. They started and shut it down 8-10 times a day and never duplicated the problem. As far as I know they never did diagnose the cause the problem. For me, it happened those two times and never happened again the last 4 years I owned it but you can bet I thought about it every time I turned the key off.

7 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Sounds like you have corrosion at the wire connections.  I would check all the ground connections to the frame and then check all the plugins, spray with contact cleaner.

I agree.  Over 80% of all 12v problems are the result of a poor/missing ground. In this case I suspect this is the root problem, something else is making the ground connection  because the intended ground is poor/missing.

Did I mention I hate 12VDC problems?

Suddenly during wet driving ABS light and alarm came on when engine ignition turned off,  Shortly thereafter engine wouldn't turn off either.

Sure sounds like a ground connection and with the ABS light coming on at the same time, they maybe sharing a common ground point.

had to disconnect battery cable. What cable did you remove ? positive or ground.

Fuel supply solenoid needs power to maintain fuel flow, but in some systems the injector pumps can still pull fuel from the tank even if the lift pump is not running.

Occasionally now engine won't start - just clicks-  What is clicking? The ignition 12 volt supply solenoid or the ignition circuit starter relay that supplies 12 volt high current to the started motor?

In any case it could and sure sounds like a contaminated ground at the frame or a oxidized wire connection in the battery bay.

Rich.

Rich - I disconnected the positive cable.  Thanks fellows  Believe Service Centre has checked wire connections however will remind them.  Very frustrating situation.

20 hours ago, F353196 said:

Rich - I disconnected the positive cable

Best practice is to unhook the negative cable first always, less chance of any backfeed through sensitive electronic equipment, doesn't happen often but could really be a gotcha!!