Sign in to follow this  
jptuttle

Need recommendation for proper CCA start-up battery

I have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton with a Cummins ICS 360 and need to replace both 12V chassis start-up batteries.

The batteries that were in it when we purchased it in 2012, was Staab name brand with 700 CCA.  I always thought these underperformed because I could never get the 10K genset started on the first attempt, but that’s a different story all together. (Part of that problem was a White-Rogers solenoid valve was improperly mounted horizontally instead of vertically from the factory! It took me 4 years to resolve that issue, thanks to Cummins Mid-South in Fenton, MO.)

Yesterday, I went to O’Reilys to get 2 Super Start batteries (AGM) that had 950 CCA. Perfect! The genset started on the first try. Of course it’s like 90 degrees outside too!

MY PROBLEM, is I need to go back to the deep-cell fill type acid batteries because I CANNOT mix battery types with my BatteryMINDER, MODEL NUMBER 12112.

I was going to get a different BatteryMINDER to fix this issue but the quicker solution is to take these nice batteries back and get the fill-type, which they don’t have! UGH!

WHAT IS A GOOD CHOICE (NAME BRAND) AND CCA FOR START-UP BATTERIES FOR MY RIG? I like INTERSTATE, which is what my coach batteries are.

Thanks!

I think an ISC requires 2 950 CCA batteries.I also have Interstate SLA starting batteries.

Today's AGM batteries may be charged alongside LA batteries, although the charging rates are slightly different. The downside is, you cannot equalize AGM batteries, which means the lead acid batteries on the same charger circuit cannot be equalized.