elkhartjim

Winnebago to buy Newmar

I disagree with your assertion. Winnebago's customer service is second to none.

Their annual sales of $2 billion compared to Newmar's of $300 million also speak to their product quality and customer satisfaction. 

I have mixed emotions. My last Winne did not fare to well construction wise, whereas the present one is holding up well, knock on wood.

It could also go the other way combining different good construction aspects from each into the other.

I really hope it improves both lines.  If they keep the present factory policies nothing will change.

They all have problems, even the Prevost.

Additional Link

I think that the larger problem is that with more and more industry consolidation comes less competition and less need to be innovative.

There used to be many companies producing appliances, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. With only a few producers left, we're faced with a lot of the same from all.

As customers insist on lower costs, the industry responds. The result is inevitably lower quality, with rare exceptions.

Having taken the Newmar factory tour three times, the first one was while workers were assembling motor homes. I saw three workers spraying glue on the rear end cap and a bat of fiberglass insulation. When they place the insulation on the end cap, it fell down. The same thing happened three times. They gave up and closed and attached the end cap. There wasn’t any insulation from the floor up. Until really cold weather know one would know. So I have never considered Newmar motor homes to be quality built. 

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

They all have problems, even the Prevost

Prevost is not a motorhome, it is a bus shell, other companies use their shell to convert to a motorhome, and there are several of those out there, and most all of them are excellent. A bus shell from Prevost or MCI at present cost between $500,000.00 and $800,000.00 depending on how it is set up at the factory, and no MH components are included in these cost's. Both companies are second to none in their quality, service, and safety. Newel is also excellent quality from the factory, although they do not use a bus shell, the shell is as close to the bus quality as can be found. With this superb quality comes a matching price tag. If you and your coach are registered with these companies, there is a 24/7 hotline provided that really works.

It is amazing what a good quality control program could do for the industry. I came from the aircraft manufacturing/ maintaining world. There are lots of things that could be done to improve quality and wouldn't increase cost much. 

Bill

Funny, I've seen Prevost's in a Junction City repair facility - it was next to us in the electric only parking area. No on manufacturer is without some problem, some time.

Yes, I do realize Prevost and MCI are chassis configured as a motorhome, but in the RV world when you mention on of those names it automatically connotes motorhome.

9 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

No on manufacturer is without some problem, some time.

So many other manufactures components and the human factor will ruin the reliability on anything. Ross's post above is a great example of the human issues. In the end its how the finial end manufacture stands behind it. 

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

It is amazing what a good quality control program could do for the industry. I came from the aircraft manufacturing/ maintaining world. There are lots of things that could be done to improve quality and wouldn't increase cost much. 

Bill

Actually, good or great quality doesn’t cost. The cost for warranty work is as much as three times what it would have cost to do quality work before the product leaves the manufacturer. 

Ross, I do believe we all can relate to that.  From my first coach in 1967 until 1983, there was far less components and electrical, so I had less problems or none!  Today, you got to be an Electrical/Mechanical Engineer and even then, your on the Forum because your lost.  Quality control should be for every step of the way today and that does add to the bottom line...at $2+ million, you still don't get it.  Joe can tell you where we found the extra floor tile in my coach!  Geez...by accident.

JeffDaily, yes...me!  I was getting a 2019 London Air next week...I will now wait & see.

I'm not sure I understand "it isn't a done deal yet". Did you expect Winnebago to simply write a 344 million dollar check and pick up the key to the front door last Sunday? As the article pretty well stated, Winnebago needs the Newmar branded high end coaches and will certainly gain knowledge about the quality of the workmanship that goes into the lower price point Newmar coaches. The only hurdle I see is the governmental requirement issues. Please enlighten us if you see a major stumbling block.

I go back to my question: what red flag do you see for the sale to close next year?  Your it isn't a done deal comment makes me think its not going to happen. I'm just curious what you see. Thanks.

I'm on several Newmar forums and Ray is the only poster I've read throw up a red flag.  Of course he is right, it isn't a done deal until the check clears the bank but I sure don't see anything. Hopefully he will clarify his comment. The most positive scuttlebut on the forums is the pre-Winny Newmars will be more valuable and in greater demand. I can only hope they don't decide to move the build for some of the models out of Nappanee, thats when the lack of quality and craftsmanship could suffer. I understand the employee moral remains the same.

12 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

I'm on several Newmar forums and Ray is the only poster I've read throw up a red flag.  Of course he is right, it isn't a done deal until the check clears the bank but I sure don't see anything. Hopefully he will clarify his comment. The most positive scuttlebut on the forums is the pre-Winny Newmars will be more valuable and in greater demand. I can only hope they don't decide to move the build for some of the models out of Nappanee, thats when the lack of quality and craftsmanship could suffer. I understand the employee moral remains the same.

I agree Jim. If production is moved, I can foresee a negative impact in trying to duplicate a successful production line elsewhere with experienced dedicated workers who know the product.

I was not throwing wet blankets, merely pointing out  it's not a completed transaction. That last link says early in 2020.

It took up to 24 moths for Allied & Thor to complete each Brand acquisition's, I would expect the same thing here!  One of those hurdles is the SEC !  Both are listed on the NYSE.  (Allied owns REV).