mhumm38

TIRE Balance

Was wondering if anyone has used the bead balance system on their motor home tires? Have always had computer balanced on smaller tires but can’t find a dealer in my area to perform that. 

6 hours ago, mhumm38 said:

Have always had computer balanced on smaller tires but can’t find a dealer in my area to perform that. 

Have you gone to a truck tire store? You didn't put where you are but, I didn't have a problem finding a place like cowsertire.com. I used them last year when I put new Continentals on the coach.

Bill

Before you use anything on the inside of your tires, be sure you confirm that it doesn't void your warranty. Sealants can make a tire un-repairable as the sealant material can prevent proper adhesion of the patch to the inside of the tire.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Patch? Sealants?  OK, I'm Lost...:blink:  What's that got to do with balance and bean bags?

But Carl, if you go to his Blog all will be made clear.

Bill

On 9/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Have you gone to a truck tire store? You didn't put where you are but, I didn't have a problem finding a place like cowsertire.com. I used them last year when I put new Continentals on the coach.

Bill

I had the same experience at a local tire store that sells truck tires as well as auto, off-road tires, etc. Their computerized balance machine would handle any size rim up to 24.5"

On 9/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, manholt said:

Patch? Sealants?  OK, I'm Lost...:blink:  What's that got to do with balance and bean bags?

In general tire companies do not want any "stuff" on the inside of tires as some "Balance Beads, sand or powder" as some call it, may abrade the interior. It is also important that you change the tire valve as the material placed in the tire can clog the valve core or even disable a TPM sensor.  The "bean bags" break-up and the lose "beans" spread out inside the tire.

I expanded my post about "stuff" on the inside of tires as some materials are in liquid form and that would be sealants and possibly even some balance "stuff". These materials can coat the interior of a tire and make applying a tire patch (nail hole repair)  difficult or impossible to reliably stick to the tire so if you put some materials on the inside of a tire and later on pick up a nail and need a patch you may be disappointed to be told the tire store is not willing to attempt a tire repair.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, manholt said:

Michelin for instance, will void the warranty if certain things are purposefully put inside their tires. The Tyreon band comes to mind.

Interesting. I just had 6 new Toyo tires put on a week or so ago at Les Schwab and my receipt shows that they balanced all 6 with something called Equal.

I am not going to worry too much about warrantee issue as the tire dealer did it not I.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:09 PM, RayIN said:

Michelin for instance, will void the warranty if certain things are purposefully put inside their tires. The Tyreon band comes to mind.

I'm not sure that something like Tyeron or Rettroband would have a negative impact on the ability of a tire to be repaired. It is this ability that is the driver behind the prohibition of the use of "Stuff" inside a tire. The bands would only come in contact with the tire if there had been a loss of air, probably due to a cut or un-repaired puncture.

I don't like Tyron, have had it & got a tire to shred when the band came undone at 65 mph!  

Interesting to note, Tyron is standard equipment on Prevost, Newell & King Air.  All 3 run Michelin!