Sign in to follow this  
bsjones11

extended warranty

My wife and I traded in the 2005 and got a 2019 Ventana.  The warranty options will expire in April.  I had an extended warranty with good sams for years with the 2005 and it payed off several times to have it.  Checking now it seems they all have gone up quite a bit. 
With good sams the warranty I used to have costs way more than what it did before as you have to lock in the price for 7 years to get the best deal. 
Wholesale Warranties has the same coverage and more for half the price.  I am leaning towards them but want to know who has had experience with them. 
And yes I considered self insured, but the first time I used good sams with the other coach, it was over 5k for the repair.  It would take a couple of years of payments to get that.
any comments???

When I bought my 2016, I was quoted a 7-yr service contract (it's not a warranty) for $7000.  That included a $500 deductible per claim.  So I figured if I had a total of 6 claims in those 7-years, my out of pocket would be $10,000.  That, of course, doesn't include anything not covered which would incrementally be on my dime.  Didn't make any sense to me to do anything but self-insure.  That's a calculated risk worth taking.  I don't know what our quote was, but if you maintain your coach well, the probability of the sky falling while you own it is pretty remote.  On the other hand, if your piece of mind is worth $10K, then by all means.  But I don't think it will pay back.

Know that this is catastrophic insurance.  It will never pay back for normal wear and tear and normal breakdowns.  It will only pay off if you have major engine, power train, electrical, or chassis stuff.  Also, most of this stuff is factory covered for some time,  so extending that only pays off if you're sure you will have it that long.  All that being said, a major failure costing $10 - $20k is not unrealistic, so piece of mind and major cost avoidance may be worth it.   

Also, my Good Sam policy covers per visit.  So you can save up minor stuff that can be put off and have them all repaired a one time with one claim and one deductible.

Les

If I had a ISX 600/650, pre 2016 then yes!  $10k would be chump change if they would cover the engine!  Same with 2007,8 & 9 CAT.  I have self insured/extended warranty for almost 54 years now, no regrets!!!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

If I had a ISX 600/650, pre 2016 then yes!  $10k would be chump change if they would cover the engine!  Same with 2007,8 & 9 CAT.  I have self insured/extended warranty for almost 54 years now, no regrets!!!

Same here.  Also, I would ask specifically if the ISX would be covered due to it's reputation for high dollar failures.

6 hours ago, bowtie said:

Know that this is catastrophic insurance.  It will never pay back for normal wear and tear and normal breakdowns.  It will only pay off if you have major engine, power train, electrical, or chassis stuff.  Also, most of this stuff is factory covered for some time,  so extending that only pays off if you're sure you will have it that long.  All that being said, a major failure costing $10 - $20k is not unrealistic, so piece of mind and major cost avoidance may be worth it.   

Also, my Good Sam policy covers per visit.  So you can save up minor stuff that can be put off and have them all repaired a one time with one claim and one deductible.

Les

wholesalewarranties.com does pay claims due to wear and tear when diagnosed as such, it's standard. I just got off the phone with a rep an hour ago. He is emailing me the quote for coverage including their exclusionary contract terms.

We bought a Camping World/GS ESC when we purchased this MH, it more than paid for itself, including deductibles.