Sign in to follow this  
alaskandww

Thor Quality - UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED

I purchased a 2020 Thor Omni also aka Magnitude super C on 6/13/19 and picked it up from Camping World Chattanooga, TN on 6/28/19.  Before I was home from Camping World Chattanooga, TN, an 1,100 mile trip, I had noted twelve warranty problems. It has been three months and I have still not been able to use it because repairs can not and have not been made on the twelve warranty and safety recalls. Searching I found the Facebook Group and additional posting of huge horror stories and problems with Thor and Thor RVs along with Camping World's lack of responsiveness. This appears to be a Systemic Problem with Thor and Camping World.

I would like to hear if anyone else is having similar problems with Thor and Camping World and how it may or may not been resolved. Please email me your information regarding your Thor motorhome problems and contact information.

Don Wheat, dwalaskan@alaskancamper.com FMCA 2759

One must understand how CW operates at the service desk level. Explained to me by a technician; you make an appt. for repair work,; you drop-off your RV at the appointed time, it is placed in rotation. When your RV reaches the top of the list it is pulled into a bay where diagnostic work is performed, then your RV is returned to the storage lot. Parts are ordered, If every part has arrived,  your RV is placed on the rotation list again, your RV is pulled into a bay when it reached the top of the list-again, and repairs are completed. Now if it does not pass diagnostic tests after repairs, the entire process begins again.

Our MH (long out of warranty) was at CW for 3 months after purchase, I did get to drive it home the day of purchase though. After the fact; I was told I could have taken our MH home to use while in rotation, until the service writer called me to bring it back.

37 minutes ago, RayIN said:

One must understand how CW operates at the service desk level. Explained to me by a technician; you make an appt. for repair work,; you drop-off your RV at the appointed time, it is placed in rotation. When your RV reaches the top of the list it is pulled into a bay where diagnostic work is performed, then your RV is returned to the storage lot. Parts are ordered, If every part has arrived,  your RV is placed on the rotation list again, your RV is pulled into a bay when it reached the top of the list-again, and repairs are completed. Now if it does not pass diagnostic tests after repairs, the entire process begins again,

Sorry, but from experience (General Manager of large metro automobile dealerships with 30-40 techs) that model DOES NOT WORK.  Not only does it make customers unhappy, but ties up valuable real estate. How does turning expensive $$/sq ft property into a storage lot make a dealer money??

Much of the diagnostics be handled over the phone by an experienced service writer so parts are on-hand when the coach comes in. Good communication skills/ asking for digital photos of broken parts, etc can save a lot of time for both customer and dealership.

Why have customers bring it in before time for scheduled diagnostics and then put it into rotation? 

Some repairs can be done by beginners-- others are more complex.

Not suggesting they do it, but even worse would be waiting until all parts are in and giving it to a  tech qualified to do the most complex repair. That would be a real waste of valuable tech manpower. Would anyone really assign their most experienced electrical trouble shooting tech spend his time doing an oil and filter change, check tire PSI, etc???

I sure hope the above "how they do it" is NOT their real business model!

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Sorry, but from experience (General Manager of large metro automobile dealerships with 30-40 techs) that model DOES NOT WORK.  Not only does it make customers unhappy, but ties up valuable real estate. How does turning expensive $$/sq ft property into a storage lot make a dealer money??

Much of the diagnostics be handled over the phone by an experienced service writer so parts are on-hand when the coach comes in. Good communication skills/ asking for digital photos of broken parts, etc can save a lot of time for both customer and dealership.

Why have customers bring it in before time for scheduled diagnostics and then put it into rotation? 

Some repairs can be done by beginners-- others are more complex.

Not suggesting they do it, but even worse would be waiting until all parts are in and giving it to a  tech qualified to do the most complex repair. That would be a real waste of valuable tech manpower. Would anyone really assign their most experienced electrical trouble shooting tech spend his time doing an oil and filter change, check tire PSI, etc???

I sure hope the above "how they do it" is NOT their real business model!

It was in 2013 through 2015,  we endured it first hand. Haven't been back since. You are correct, it does not work.

You understand why so many RV'ers are unhappy with CW service dept.; and perhaps why many are closing lately. I experienced it, had our MH in our garage 9 days out of 3 months, CW had it the rest of the days. The RV technician who related that to me was very good at his work. He left CW shortly after that for a different, private ownership RV sales and service  company, as did several other employees.

That might have been one of the reasons several RV centers have been reverting to the previous business name. FWIW, Camping World of Indianapolis does not own the business, legally it is Stoutes  RV dba Camping World of Indianapolis, same with Tom Stinnet RV in Jeffersonville, who regained control of the business, no longer a CW. This is all on the internet if anyone is willing to search.

I forgot to include, if a traveler stopped in with a problem, they worked their RV in that day, even to the point of pulling an RV out of a bay to work on the travelers RV.

Brett, I bought my previous mh from DeMontond RV. I needed to return it for some rather minor warranty work and was told bring it in and we can look at it in 6 weeks. Of course my response was I'll bring it in in 6 weeks. Their response, it will still be 6 weeks. I worked my way up the chain and finally talked with George DeMontrond and they stuck to their 6 weeks. I made the repairs myself so I guess the real winner was Fleetwood because they didn't have to pay for warranty issues. 

Having been in the business you do a great job and the customer tells maybe one person but you do a bad job they will tell the world. I did cause DeMontrond the possibility of making at least 3 sales by telling others of that experience and directing them to other dealers.

Jim S.  Got my WB Tour at Holiday World in 2007, don't know if their Service has improved, and they did the same with me!  I called around and drove to Jim's Trailer (they also sell WB's & Newmare's) in Lubbock, TX.  It took 7 days & 41 Warranty items!  I have not set foot in Holiday since.

As for CW,, most are pathetic today.