hopmarcollinfam

Convert Canister Air Filter To Replaceable Element

Hi Folks,

We have a 1994 Monaco Dynastry Diesel Pusher w/ a Cummins 8.3TD-300 equipped w/ a Wix 546858 Eco-Sm air filter. I would like to replace this cannister style throw away filter and housing for something MORE Ecologically and Economically FRIENDLY. Does anyone know of a filter housing company or contact info to obtain a filter housing as follows? 13.5" diameter, 15 to 17" long, 7"side inlet pipe, 7" end outlet pipe w/ a removable/replaceable opposing end? Thanx in advance! HF Hop Collin

Hello hopmarcollinfam,

I don't have a solution for you but wanted to say hello. We started out full time in 2001 in a 1994 Dynasty, I know that coach. We had three great years in it before we traded it in on our current coach. There is a company that supplies washable filters for diesels but those who know diesels say it is a bad choice. You can get away with it for a while but they don't remove all the particles they should. Eventually it will cost you more in repairs and damage to a very expensive engine.

Good luck with your search. There should be a less expensive product out there but Cummins is still using the same format.

Tom,

I see Viet Nam Vet, me too; went over with 101st ABN/ B Batt 4/77 ARA, 2 mo later Cobra's show up and infused into D Trp 1/1 Cav who moved from Camp Eagle to Chu Lia at that same time. Served from mar 69 to may 70. Got out 6 Jan 72. Joined AL Guard 88, Finished up in the 110th AB Aug at Ft Rucker 60th B/Day 5 Jun 08. Retired CW-4 over 28. Glad it is over with but had a great time while I was in. Looking forward to full retirement at 66 in 1014 so the wife and I can part time Snowbird and spend major time in all our great National Parks. Bought this 94 Dyn as it was lived in full time and the interior is fully upgraded and renovated, have 4 years to get it mechanically sound. Gotta go fly, talk to ya later. HF Hop Collin

Hello Hop,

Thanks for your service. The 101 was not easy duty by any means. Mine was somewhat less hazardous. I was with the 51st Med in Qui Nhon. We ran ground ambulance evacuations from An Khe and Pleiku to the airbase in Qui Nhon. I served there from February 1970 until August when we phased out the 51st and turned in all our equipment. I served with the 498th Medical Company Air Ambulance in An Son for my last six months in country, returning to the US in February 1971. I went straight into teaching and spent 28 years doing that before retiring in 1999. Missouri allowed us to purchase our military time in the teachers retirement system, that made it all possible. Louise and I worked two years after that, bought the Dynasty in April 2001 and were living in it full time by July 2001. We've been on the road ever since.

When we purchased our Dynasty, it had been used by snow birds from Canada for several years. They had purchased it from the original owner who hadn't driven it much at all. It had about 50,000 miles on it when we got it. We kept finding little things the previous owners had been making cheap repairs on and spent a fair amount of money getting the rig into reliable traveling shape. It was a good coach for learning and we really enjoyed our time in it.

Now we're looking forward to establishing a home at our winter park. We'll keep our Windsor and travel in the summers but will have a manufactured home to live in for the winters. I've just made an entry in my blog here on the FMCA web site.

It has been almost six years since we traded the Dynasty so my information isn't fresh in my mind but I'll be glad to offer any help I can in getting your rig mechanically sound.

Are you still flying helicopters? I wasn't flying in Viet Nam but did get my pilots license thirteen years ago. I fly single engine planes for fun.

I contacted AFE @ 951 493 7100 Ext 7102 (Scott) and they made me a canster for my Winnebago Freightliner with a Cummins 425. It took them about 10 days to have it to me. Note when you change the filter you should pressure spray around the area to prevent sand dust from getting into the intake area, not doing so could reduce engine life. once changed then only clean the filter when the pressure indicator gets near the red. You can use my name when talking to Scott. Hope this helps.

Bud Geng

Newer K&N brand filters are designed differently.  They no longer require re-oiling after washing, and use a deeper media that theoretically removes finer particles.  Previous oiled models had larger pores for the oil to work, but many respected voices denegrated that because the pore size put expensive engines in jeopardy from fine dust, I assume either from particles not trapped by the oil or because owners failed to inadequately apply the oil. 

Some technicians in the know have no worries about using the current generation of washable filters, although I've yet to find an independent test of them.  Existing tests are from a decade or so ago, show very poor results, and were on the old models, mostly those used in automobiles.  We certainly could use a new independent analysis that includes washable filters available for large diesel vehicles.  If anyone here knows of such an animal, please advise.

If you insist on a standard filter, then know that Donaldson is often touted as the very best, and engine manufacturers like CAT don't make their own air filters anyway.  If you go washable, then as I recall the entire assembly is replaced, housing and all, not just the media core we normally change out, though I could be wrong regarding some instances.  Regardless, extreme care must be used during removal and reinstallation, as other posters advised previously;  the assembly area and fittings must be thoroughly cleaned and thereafter inspected to prevent contaminant particles from entering the air intake anywhere.

I will not use anything K&N makes until they show it will pass the filtration test and meet the standards for Cummins and Cat. "Some technicians in the know have no worries about using the current generation of washable filters, although I've yet to find an independent test of them." will they pay for rebuilding a dusted engine? 

I am betting if K&N could pass the test they would be using it in their ads. They try to push the bit about it flows more air. SO WHAT. The current specked filters flow more air than your engine can use now.

Just for grins here is the test from "decades ago" 2009 doesn't seem like decades to me. 

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

The ISO 5011 Standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled. 

I know the sales pitch sounds good. OK I am done with my rant for tonight.

Bill