skykingtcb

Diamond Shield Disappointment

I pick up my coach from paint shop with the Diamond Shield on it. The first night I noticed a flaw in the new diamond shield. I contacted Diamond Shield and discovered the lifetime warranty is useless.  I am very Disappointed with diamond shield.  I removed it and put a different brand that I am very happy with it. I will NEVER ever use diamond shield again.

When I had my first coach painted I was asked if I wanted Diamond Shield installed.  After all the the problems many had with it I said no.  It was going to cost $1250.  I asked how much to repaint the front and was told $850.  Kept that coach another 5 years and and when I sold it the front looked like it just came out of the paint shop.  Went back to the same shop to have my current coach painted.  Nothing but paint and clear coat on the front.

51 minutes ago, Dejavu-Two said:

What does it cost to have the Diamond Shield removed?

It depends on the estimated time and if any painting will be needed. 

I'm having mine removed, then the top and bottom re painted, & clear coated. Estimate = $6,400.  Other body work and paint done for $2,700. Having coach re modeled...will be done by next Feb. about 70% so far has been covered by ins. including my front & all body work.

When I purchased my used 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire it had Diamond Shield on it looked horrible.  Moldy and cracked.  I called Diamond Shield and they said that older product did that, but their new does not and had me contact a dealer to get it removed and reinstalled.

I was quoted $950 to remove the old and $1,200 to get new.  I decided to have a local 3m dealer remove and I have left it that way.  There are some chips but it is fine.  I heard getting the front repainted was about $1,000 so I may do that at some point.  I even took the time to get a new Vinyl decal made from the front to customize my front end a little.  We put in the name of our Coach.

We removed our shield several years ago and glad we did. The front of the coach continues to look new; we intend to never replace it and if the front needs to be repainted it is far less expensive to repaint than the cost of removal of the shield and refinishing. The idea of a shield sounds good until after a few years it begins to deteriorate and proper maintenance will require its removal, repair, and reinstallation.

So far on my new to me 2008 Mountain Air it looks good. Looked at a 2007 that was not so good. I am suspicious that they may have replaced it before I got it. I was told that treating it with 303 protectant will help it last. We will see.

This is a link to how to maintain your Diamond Shield. 

https://www.diamond-shield.com/product-care

Personally I wouldn't apply it, but I already have it.

Bill

On my American Coach, 2010...the Diamond Shield is bad and needs to be removed by whomever the new owner will be!  Our New to us 2012 Newmar King Air, it looks good, like Bill, we'll see!  I do know that I will remove it before it looks like the AC and if the paint is still chip free, I'll have several coats of clear put on! 

IMHO, Diamond Shield is nothing but added cost & Marketing tool...Long before 3M or DS was invented, I never had chip/love bug problems on my front.  Just been the last 5 rigs, not the other 12.

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The plan is to do what I can to keep it looking good but it will be gone quickly if it starts to mess up.

Bill

Bill, keep up on the 303 product. I am curious if that’s going to help it hold up longer. I have heard the later product is more durable and better suited to handle UV

Joe, I will keep you informed.;) 

This 2008 coach looks so good at first I didn't think it had it. But on close exam you can see the edges. (makes me think it has been replaced) The 2007 coach I looked at you could see it from 50'  It had the usual crazed surface with mold growing in and under the surface giving it that nice gray black patina. I wonder if the303 would help one in that condition. Maybe someone with the problem can try it and let us know. 

Bill

Bill, I think once the deterioration begins there is no turning back. If it’s nice you stand a good chance of keep it that way.

Ralph, Welcome.

Depends on how long it's been on and what condition it's in..the more pits and nicks, the longer it takes...there's a reason why most professional removable shop's charge an average of $2,500 to remove!:P

Well, I'll be.  I'm a newbie; first visit here; first posts.  Have DS on the front of the 2006 Monaco Caymen we recently bought.  Lots of mold between the shield and the paint.  I accepted it as part of the plus/minus package of selection.  Now I see many of you have removed their DS and are happy with the removal over time.  So . . .

But cost of removal:  I see figures mentioned from $800 or to to over $2,500.  Some clarification?  It won't peel off with a heat gun?

(And yeah-- giving a cat a bath is  . . . well, Fuzzbutt is seven now and the only one he's had is the time I put him in the shower and turned the water on to convince him he really isn't allowed in the bedroom. )

22 minutes ago, UrbanHermit said:

But cost of removal:  I see figures mentioned from $800 or to to over $2,500.  Some clarification?  It won't peel off with a heat gun?

Welcome to the forum.  There was some one not to long ago who had that problem. Most of the cost is labor, you can save some money doing it yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=removing+diamond+shield+film&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS621US621&oq=removing+dimond+shield&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.18960j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_GYjZXvrTB5HNtQaOuabABQ32

As you read above I haven't had that problem yet. I would try to find out what chemical they are using. You might be able to get it cheaper.

Bill

11 hours ago, UrbanHermit said:

It won't peel off with a heat gun?

Yes but so will the paint. Let me explain, the shield requires more heat then the paint to remove (in my situation) its actually a harder material. I bough a product that I found on the internet which breaks down the shield but doesn't harm the paint. It came as a kit with everything needed but a wallpaper steamer and it worked like a charm. I did this after I learned the hard way of the shields durability. 

I'm not good at tedium.  Put up over 1400 individual 4-1/4 ceramic tiles in a basement bathroom.  Took me weeks, a couple hundred tiles at a time.  But the incomplete job was well hidden . . . . I dread the prospect of eight to sixteen hours of scraping and rubbing.  But for a grand or so?  <sigh>  Probably in the cards.

Well I am pretty late to this party. I have bee an advocate of the 3M products for years. That said I have it on my F350 and it is shot as described but not such a large area. I did not follow my own rule...it is a maintenance item and has a life span, oh well. Now I will take a different tack. As a bodyshop owner for 30+ years on the front of my coach I am going to add a flex agent to the clearcoat as typically applied to the plastic bumper covers on our modern cars. It will should add the resilience we look for to protect the front surface.  It will be tricky as the clear will set slower and on a large vertical surface that might become an issue.