jleamont

Beware of the Pedestal

I’m outside setting up my smoker at the campground. Didn’t even turn it on yet and I hear an alarm. Walk over to my EMS and OPEN GROUND is displayed. I swap my EMS for the other one I carry and walk away. At this point I’m more concerned about getting the pork shoulder and rump roast on the smoker :lol:, however it’s an electric pellet smoker.

Another alarm sounds “open ground”. Oh boy, not how I want to spend my morning. By now my DW is opening the door, letting me know the roof top ac units (were in fan only all night) keep turning on and off. Yes dear, I am working on it now.

This early and no coffee yet my mind is not clear. Not thinking we have a generator and I could just turn it on and wait for the office to open. I grab my volt meter, check the outlet, all is good. Hmm, I peek in the outlet and I see it’s full of junk. So I grab my tools, clean it out, I carry a small straw cleaning brush (for cleaning plastic straws) with us so I clean the plug. All is well!

Spider webs and grass were in the plug. That’s a first! It’s been 30-40 minutes now and no alarms yet.....

I recently had exactly the same problem at a campground in Houston. It took some head scratching and loys brow wiping since it was in the high 90's before I figured out the problem. Hang on to that "plastic straw cleaning brush" since plastic straws are being banned because they are destroying our universe I'm sure the brush will no longer be made.

Jim, good point with the brush. I believe it’s for the reusable straw type. The ones attached to a adult sippy cup :lol:

Funny how you temporarily loose knowledge when you are half asleep and stressed. 

I understand the brain dead part and trying to figure something out in the blazing Texas sun wasn't helping. I called the office when I first found the problem and about 2 hours later two guys showed up on a golf cart.  Thankfully I had found my problem long before they showed. I also started my genset to keep from heating the coach to 140º. Smoke on....

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Go too a Dollar or Dollar General Store...Plastic Straws come multi color in a pack of a dozen! :ph34r:

Karl, it ain't. better start over! Carl it isn't the straws he's talkin about, it is the straw CLEANER, sorry it's too early to talk about it anyway. LOL!:huh:

10 hours ago, Elkhartjim said:

I recently had exactly the same problem at a campground in Houston. It took some head scratching and loys brow wiping since it was in the high 90's before I figured out the problem. Hang on to that "plastic straw cleaning brush" since plastic straws are being banned because they are destroying our universe I'm sure the brush will no longer be made.

Those plastic straws are an innate object, it's the human that disposes of it improperly that is the problem. I always carry a spray can of contact cleaner and a can of wasp N hornet spray especially for those infrequently used CG pedestals.