jmcvea148

Replace Dometic AC Unit on Monaco MH

Okay folks, new to FMCA and this forum.

I have an 06 Monaco Cayman. Looks like the front AC is shot (original unit).

Unit comes on, compressor runs but no cooling. Pulled the cover off and noticed traces of oil on the refrigerant lines.  I am pretty handy and could easily replace the unit myself, EXCEPT getting the old unit off the top and the new unit up there! I've received estimates of $1600 to 1900 to replace it from some of the local RV shops. The new unit is about $850 on amazon. One tech in a campground told me it should take no more than a couple of hours. 

Question is, are there any bright ideas of how to get the unit up there short of hiring Shaquille O'Neal or the Incredible Hulk OR is anyone aware of the local guy that would come out to my home and replace the unit. I live in North Atlanta. Tried a  mobile RV service and he is booked up for the foreseeable future. 

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I have seen this work:

Strong ladder at angle from ground to roof (like 45 degrees).

Rope around the new unit so guy on roof can assist guy on ground/climbing ladder to move the new A/C up the ladder.

Not suggesting this is safe-- much of that would depend on who is doing it!

Wish I had taken pictures when I replaced this past spring. I used 14 feet of scaffolding, a pulley attached to a 2X 10 board at top of scaffolding, rope in the pulley, pulled the new unit up with rope, slid another board under the AC across the scaffold and roof of the coach, pulled the old unit off of mounting point, slid the new uniting place and lowered the old unit to ground with the same. And as Brett said a ladder can be used as well. Also, you could drive the coach to a location with a forklift and have the forklift set the new unit on the roof, they may be nice enough to let you make the exchange at their location, or simply tie the new unit while still on pallet to the old unit. Just a few ideas to help get your brain in gear. The units are very easy to make an exchange. I'm fortunate to have a Bobcat at my disposal but actually preferred using the scaffold.

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Jim,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I have seen this work:

Strong ladder at angle from ground to roof (like 45 degrees).

Rope around the new unit so guy on roof can assist guy on ground/climbing ladder to move the new A/C up the ladder.

Not suggesting this is safe-- much of that would depend on who is doing it!

This is how we did it. Leaned one section of a 32-foot extension ladder (16-feet) against the coach. I used scrape plywood and 2 x 4 to make a sled which we placed on the ladder. A rope was tied to the upper end of the sled, and once the a/c unit was placed on the ladder one person pushed from below while climbing the ladder, and I pulled the rope from above. The sled had side rails on the bottom to keep it from sliding off the ladder, and we strapped the a/c unit to the top of it. Worked really well getting it up to the roof, and then we both lifted the sled up and over the top of the ladder.

I put an electric winch in the rafters of my garage and extended the push button cable to 22 ft.  Lifted up a foot and drove out from the garage and lowered it to the ground and switched to the new one and lifted it up and drove back under it new one went inside and strung the push buttons through the bedroom window and lowered it down while guiding into position from the inside.  I did it in less than an hour.  In our shop we used to change them out in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours using a fork lift.

9 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I put an electric winch in the rafters of my garage and extended the push button cable to 22 ft.  Lifted up a foot and drove out from the garage and lowered it to the ground and switched to the new one and lifted it up and drove back under it new one went inside and strung the push buttons through the bedroom window and lowered it down while guiding into position from the inside.  I did it in less than an hour.  In our shop we used to change them out in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours using a fork lift.

Thanks - now I have garage envy. 🙂

Thanks to all for the suggestions.The tech I mentioned I my original post says he uses the ladder technique when they don't have access to a fork lift. I saw a YouTube video on line of guy sliding the unit up the ladder.This situation was a camper trailer which is not quite as high as the Monaco.

again, thanks to all for your suggestions.

Jim

DD69,  Like your idea...I got 3 to change out, one young man with a  strong body and the same equipment at home..18 foot I-beam, steel rafters!   Then Linda told me, the Fork Lift, I keep forgetting she has one, is good for 17 foot &  3,000 lbs.