richard5933

TCS Fuel Discount Card

After reading about the new FMCA benefit with the TCS fuel discount card recently, I filled out the brief online application. It appeared that a phone call would follow in a day or so. Today an email was sent out from FMCA announcing the program. I still have not received a phone call or heard anything more from my application.

Puzzled what the plan is. Has anyone been able to learn more about the program? Anyone gotten the return phone call to fully get signed up? Curious if this is worth pursuing or if it is the same as the TSD program.

Richard, I would cut out the middle man, contact TSD directly...I can't see a better deal thru FMCA, we are not big enough numbers that have DP's!

10 minutes ago, manholt said:

Richard, I would cut out the middle man, contact TSD directly...I can't see a better deal thru FMCA, we are not big enough numbers that have DP's!

From what I see, the FMCA card is not through TSD, it's through TCS. Looks like a very similar program though with a card that looks similar.

The reason I'm interested in getting the TCS card is that it appears the FMCA TCS card has discounts at locations/brands not covered by the TSD program.

I called the FMCA office today to ask what the plan is. The person who answered didn't know, and said that someone from the TCS program would call me. So far, no phone call.

Not sure how this program works, but it seems to sign up you've got to get a call from TCS since the online application only asks for the barest of contact information.

I already have the TSD card and was hoping that this one from FMCA would provide additional options.

I understand several calls have been made with the same results. Brings back memories when they rolled out the first Verizon program that was quickly canceled.

We are thrilled that the FMCA community is so excited about the TCS fuel card. We have received an overwhelming response for the fuel card from yesterday's partner announcement. Our TCS sales team is diligently returning phone calls and responding to emails. Please be patient with us as we promise to contact you within 72 hours. 

50 minutes ago, manholt said:

Can we please have the names of these "partners"...Or is that a secret?

I believe that TCS is the name of the partner.

https://www.tcsfuel.com/lp/fuel-card/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_absBRD1ARIsAO4_D3txAlBsn8mjTcZYm8QYIesW6zZETL8z3aM5CZ8Ywt1ktTwbbDeIA6AaAt2jEALw_wcB

Guess it's just a waiting game now. Disappointing that FMCA leadership didn't do a better job of getting all their ducks in a row before posting this on the website.

33 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

If what I understand is correct, their program is a preloaded debit card where you prepay for fuel. That could be interesting.

Correct, if it were linked to a Credit card that would be much easier.

51 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

If what I understand is correct, their program is a preloaded debit card where you prepay for fuel. That could be interesting.

If this is a prepay system, then it doesn't have nearly the advantage of the TSD card, which is post-pay. I'm not really interested in keeping money on deposit with TCS so I can take advantage of their discounts. Doesn't seem practical to have to manually predict fuel costs and transfer money to the account so that it would be available for use while traveling. Hopefully more information about how this works will be made available soon.

Sounds like I would need to keep a ledger sheet to know when another deposit would be needed and of course know how much lead time would be required before funds would be available. The 10% fee on the savings amount in the TSD program sounds like one heck of a deal compared to the TCS program. They will get lots of FMCA members I'm sure because unless you frequent RV forums you're not aware there other programs available. Best guess, less than 5% of the FMCA members even know about this forum or if they do participate in it. 

Say what you want about different programs but I'll stay with TSD Logistics, Inc.

Today I save $0.52 a gallon.  Bill on pump was $136.20, and my price was $115.10.

Pump was $3.099 a gallon and my price was $2.577 a gallon.

Location was Memphis, TN.

7 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Here is the source information on the program: https://www.fmca.com/rv-fuel-discounts

Seen that, but it really doesn't show much information. Be nice to have details about how transactions will be processed, will the ACH transactions be automatic or will we have to do them ahead of time (pre-pay), etc. etc. Can't imagine that commercial drivers have to manually transfer funds before each fill-up, or that companies are required to keep funds on deposit with them. When more information is released I guess we'll see.

6 hours ago, RevRichard said:

Hopefully the program will be made available to those who drive RVs that use gasoline.  I wonder if that is something that is in the works.

The programs we've been seeing are tapping into existing programs designed around commercial trucking. They'd have to find another program based on commercial gasoline fleets for that to happen, IMO.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Can't imagine that commercial drivers have to manually transfer funds before each fill-up, or that companies are required to keep funds on deposit with them.

I agree, attaching a credit card to the account to automatically hit the card would be ideal. I could see owner operators doing this, not company drivers.

One is debit card...no thanks!  I read and understand.  It was OK until the caveat about using it for other purchases, besides diesel...then it became a possible liability.  Banks don't protect your assets on a debit card, if lost or stolen!

The information on the website is too vague to make more than a best guess as to how the program is funded by the user. It appears to me to be more of a prepaid credit card  rather than a prepaid debit card. A debit card would debit my checking account directly at each transaction but the website vaguely talks about how a user adds money to the card. 

It would be nice if Sherry@TCS would come back and directly answer how the card is funded. Sounds like they are explaining one phone call at a time, if you apply. I'm like Wayne; I will continue to enjoy the TSD card and make transfers to a separate account after a purchase. 

30 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

Sounds like they are explaining one phone call at a time, if you apply

Has anyone actually received the magic phone call? I completed their 'application' at the beginning of last week but so far nothing but crickets.

Tried to call TCS directly, but every call goes straight to voice mail.

Anyone from FMCA leadership care to join the conversation and supply some facts so we can stop guessing?

Hi richard5933 and Co.,

I guess I'll jump in, although I was rather enjoying watching you all talk in circles 😉  I kid, I kid.  I kid because I care. 

Truth be told I wasn't quite sure what clarification you all were seeking and I believed that the FAQs on the page provided by Brett Wolfe earlier in the thread had the answers you needed.  Clearly, though, more clarification is desired so I reached out to my contact at TCS and have recently heard back.  As best I can gather, here are the lingering concerns that you all would like to have clarified (questions in black, answers in red):

-         Would like to see the TCS rep address some of the specific questions-- particularly about "pay before or bill after fueling".   A) All TCS fuel card accounts are secured with cash prior to card usage.  Effectively, each initial cash deposit is used to establish a secured credit line for the account.  We are not in the credit underwriting business, and do not extend credit unless it is secured in some form or fashion.

-         Methods of payment. If debit card used, what is security-- unlike credit cards, most debit cards are not protected from fraud. B) I’m not clear about what is being asked, but security features are built into the card, although it’s up to each account to set them up when they activate their account. Most of our clients utilize a pin# or DL# as security that must be entered for the card to activate the fuel pump.

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions.  If there are others please let me know.

As far as a timely call back, the response from our email announcement has been overwhelming and the TCS agents are completing call backs as fast and efficiently as they can.  Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dan Ball

Thank you Dan for clarification!

I will do as Wayne & Jim...TSD, simple, efficient and no $$ is tied up.  Also, most of our travels are in South Central & NW USA.